PE carrying new Peerless and Vifa lines.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

PE carrying new Peerless and Vifa lines.

Alright, a quick search over at PE and I'm going nuts over all the new drivers that are coming our way in December and later this month. Check it out if you haven't already. :T
  • Paul Ebert
    • May 2004

The NE series strike me as having the potential, at least, of being a very welcome 'bargain' high-end line.

Now, if they'd make a high Qts version of the 8 incher, they'd have a great dipole woofer. Regardless, it doesn't seem like much of a subwoofer.

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Paul,

How high should the Qts be for a great dipole woofer? I just purchase 6 more of the Usher 8137A to use in my line source dipole. It has a Qts of 0.39 so I'm hoping that's adequate.

Sorry for the off topic Jed.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Paul Ebert
        • May 2004

Well, my understanding is a higher Qts means less EQ being needed to correct the dipole roll-off. The dipole roll-off is also impacted by the baffle width. So, it becomes a balance of Qts, amount of EQ and baffle width. At least, I think I've got that right.

Generally, it seems to me that the woofers (not mids) suggested for dipole use have Qts values of around 0.7.

Comment

• Notorious_AK
          • May 2008

besides better dipole bass effiiciency, higher qts drivers are much cheaper. you could have gotten 44 of these instead
          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-905

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Those Jamo's look like they'd be fun to play with though, in a low cost speaker.

Oh well ...

I think the Usher will work real good, and I can always add more Eq. and I don't real extended lows, 50 - 60 Hz is good since I'll be using a subwoofer with them.
            John unk:

Comment

• TacoD
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Johnloudb
              Paul,

How high should the Qts be for a great dipole woofer? I just purchase 6 more of the Usher 8137A to use in my line source dipole. It has a Qts of 0.39 so I'm hoping that's adequate.

Sorry for the off topic Jed.
              Used these woofers in closed and BR cabinets, great woofers.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

Good to hear that TacoD! Javier Huerta was happy with that woofer in his last project too. So, I'm not too worried about it. Be nice if can get decent low frequency extension in this dipole I'm working on, just have to see how that turns out.

In keeping with the topic of this thread I checked out some Peerless and Vifa driver at PE. Found some Peerless subs that would work well in a couple 128L sub boxes I've got, with four 11 inch holes. One reviewer said this is the perfect dipole sub. I don't know why that would be though, with a Qts of 0.2 . Does have an Fs of 18Hz.

Though I don't think I'd do a dipole sub .... probably just put two in each cab and seal the other two holes. It's supposed to work great ported or sealed, with extended lows down to 25 hz, according to the application notes. I could even do a passive radiator sub with the matching radiators put in the spare holes. I couldn't find the matching passive radiators at PE though. Not sure they carry those.

But a lot of possibilities here.
                John unk:

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Well I was excited about the new Vifa 4" but not after seeing this frequency plot. ???

Comment

• augerpro
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006

Yeah the woofers' linear distortion doesn't look so great. Probably put all the effort in the non-linear distortion performance of the motor...

The tweeters look like something special though. I have some ordered for testing (February) and barring a surprise already have an idea of where to use them.
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                      Yeah the woofers' linear distortion doesn't look so great. Probably put all the effort in the non-linear distortion performance of the motor...

The tweeters look like something special though. I have some ordered for testing (February) and barring a surprise already have an idea of where to use them.

Agree on the tweeters... would love to test a few as well. I did see in Voice Coil they were favorably reviewed-- saw a test on the small 3/4" dome that looked promising.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                        Good to hear that TacoD! Javier Huerta was happy with that woofer in his last project too.
                        I loved the Usher 8137... it was very easy to design a crossover for it, and bass in a big ported enclosure was awesome. Better in every respect than the Seas P21 (except harmonics, which I didn't measure).
                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

Thanks Javier! I look forward to hearing these woofers in action. I'm gradually getting these line source baffles done ... got all the long rectangular holes cut. Just waiting on some clamps I've ordered, which will be here next week, so I can laminate another 1/2" board behind the woofer section. Then I'll cut the holes. Anyway, I'll be starting a thread on my speaker soon.
                          John unk:

Comment

• CupCak3
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                            saw a test on the small 3/4" dome that looked promising.
                            Do you happen to have a link handy to this test? I'm very interested to take a peek :T

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by CupCak3
                              Do you happen to have a link handy to this test? I'm very interested to take a peek :T

It's in a subscribed magazine called Voice Coil.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"