X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingpin
    • Jun 2006

Hmm......FrankenKlipsch!

I recently came across these speakers and picked them up cause I thought they would be fun to play with. They are a pair of Klipsch KG3.2's.

Image not available

Specs are as follows.

-frequency response
    36Hz-20kHz±3dB
    -power handling
    65 watts maximum continuous (325 watts peak)
    -sensitivity
    94dB @ 1watt/1meter
    -nominal impedance
    8 ohms
    -tweeter
    K-84-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome compression driver
    -high frequency horn
    90°x60° Exponential Horn
    -woofer
    K-1002-K 8" (20.32cm) ICG cone active / KD-101-K 10" (25.4cm) ICG cone passive
    -enclosure material
    Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
    -enclosure type
    Bass reflex via passive radiator
    -dimensions
    25.5" (64.8cm) x 12.4" (31.5cm) x 10.75" (27.3cm)
    -weight
    32 lbs. (14.5kg)

My first step was to take them apart where to my surprise LOL the x-overs are missing parts. They look to have been tampered with.
    This one the resistor fell out as soon as i touched it. The other one is missing a few pieces that I don't see here.

Image not available

There is a guy on the klipsch forums who will sell all brand new x-over parts for both speakers for $80 which is where I am going to start.

I was playing around and ended up hooking the rs270's i still have in place of the passive radiator. They basically dropped in so I hooked them up in parallel to keep the 8 ohm load.

I am thinking of a few different options.

1. Get the new x-overs put the passives back in and see what they sound like.

2. Get the new x-overs, and add the 270 in place of the passive radiator.

3. Same as Forum but route a hole in the back to put in the passive radiator.

Basicall by adding the rs270 I am hoping to get a bit more bottom end. Maybe adding a real simple x-over to the 270 to only handle some of the lower frequencies.

So basically I don't know what I want... :B
    Any thoughts.
    I am moving across the country to Edmonton, Alberta in January so I maybe going as far as rebuilding boxes, for now just trying to live by the "k.i.s.s." addage.

Mike
    Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 20:49 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
    Call me "MIKE"
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
    CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
    CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
    Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It's highly unlikely that there are lots of missing parts. It's more likely they use the same board for several speakers, and that results in the empty areas.

$80 is a complete ripoff given the quality of parts used in that crossover. The lower cost Klipsch designs are known for having minimal bare bones crossovers. There's less than $10 worth of parts in that picture

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kingpin
      • Jun 2006

Hi Thomas.

I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the x-over from the other cabinet, but it is missing the inductor(the round black piece in the picture).

Here is a description from the website for the x-over.

This is a list of prices for our kits to rebuild Klipsch crossovers. The first group of these kits will include the new capacitors, mounting blocks and tie wraps to attach the new caps to the mounting blocks. Also, we include a schematic of the crossover. Each kit has the parts to rebuild a pair of the crossovers.
      The capacitors included are high quality Sonicaps for all caps in the signal path. If the crossover has a woofer roll off cap, that will be a non-polarized electrolytic.

I figured $80 was high, my guess is there is no more than $20 in parts there. I guess it's just for ease of acquiring more than anything.
      Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Given the quality of the drivers there's no point in paying for SonicCaps.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kingpin
          • Jun 2006

Aww Thomas. You're such a party pooper. LOL Just kidding.
          I understand your point, just trrying to make due with what I have for now.
          Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Mike,

You got lots of energy. How about spending $80 on a calibrated mic, spend a little time learning how to take measurements, then spend $10 on parts.

From the description of "if the crossover has a woofer roll off cap..." it sounds like the woofer runs full range and the tweeter may just have a textbook crossover. A PE $18 generic crossover may work no worse.

Did you get rid of all your behringer crossovers for your old mains? I'm guessing you did. Unfortunate. Just glancing around the net, I see a Behringer Super-X for $80. You can probably get a cheap amp around the same price. That would give you hours of tweaking fun and open up lots of Frankenstein possibilities. I don't have time to read through the Behringer manual to see if it will do the job. Maybe Thomas or someone knows.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kingpin
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
              Mike,

You got lots of energy. How about spending $80 on a calibrated mic, spend a little time learning how to take measurements, then spend $10 on parts.

From the description of "if the crossover has a woofer roll off cap..." it sounds like the woofer runs full range and the tweeter may just have a textbook crossover. A PE $18 generic crossover may work no worse.

Did you get rid of all your behringer crossovers for your old mains? I'm guessing you did. Unfortunate. Just glancing around the net, I see a Behringer Super-X for $80. You can probably get a cheap amp around the same price. That would give you hours of tweaking fun and open up lots of Frankenstein possibilities. I don't have time to read through the Behringer manual to see if it will do the job. Maybe Thomas or someone knows.
              Hey Ran, yeah I had a bit of energy that day, it was one of my rare days off.

I wasn't trying to make things complicated with this. I really don't have the energy to do much with it. I guess it's not really a priority right now. I guess I came off sounding like a noob or a dork with my first post.

Yeah, all my equipment, x-overs, amps etc. have been sold off.
              Oh well, I will just deal with I have for the time being.
              Who knows what will come out of this eventually.

thanks
              Mike
              Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

No, you didn't come off as a dork. I understand where you're coming from. Everyone likes to swim in a pool, but few of us have the desire or resources to be Micheal Phillips.

I don't think it is a bad thing to just tinker a little. I was just trying to throw a few more options out there for you to consider.

If your two crossovers don't match because parts have fallen off, do you at least have all the parts that if you measured them, you could rebuild them? Maybe pick up a reasonable priced LCR meter, measure the parts, order all new parts, and rebuild your crossovers yourseld. MCM has a LCR meter for$52 (not sure if it is any good. Thomas could probably shed light on it). So, this route would end up being about the same as those $80 crossovers you were considering, and you would still have a meter.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Undefinition
                  • Dec 2006

How hard is it to JUST get the crossover schematic for the original speaker? Then you could re-do it using normal Dayton, Erse, or Bennic parts.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                  Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• kingpin
                    • Jun 2006

You hit it on the head Ryan. My big problem is I learn by someone teaching me face to face. Never been able to learn from a book, as things just seem to not make sense.

If I could get the crossover schematic I would definetely just order the parts from Solen or PE. I don't mind trying the soldering thing over again.

Buying new tools and stuff is just not going to happen.

Thanks for the comments guys.

BTW: If anyone happens to have or know where I can find the schematic I would love to get a hold of it.

Thanks
                    Mike
                    Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Compare the 2 units you have. My guess is you have one intact unit that can be used for reference
                      Last edited by ThomasW; 12 November 2009, 00:06 Thursday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

It's highly unlikely that there are lots of missing parts. It's more likely they use the same board for several speakers, and that results in the empty areas.
                        Yep. In industry speak these are "no pops" or non-populated components. Essentially you have one circuit board that can be built to a variety of configurations, depending on what components are populated or not. Common in everything from speaker crossovers to computer motherboards.

Comment

• Bent
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2003

Lot's of "no-pops" in my Adire ADA 1200, I guess they had other plans too.
                          After it was rebuilt (post catastrophic coupling cap failure), it had a few less "no-pops", but there's still some pads on the PC's that aren't populated.
                          (and I don't mean the locations for the L-T and the dipole EQ.)

Comment

• kingpin
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            Compare the 2 units you have. My guess is you have one intact unit that can be used for reference

Hmm...that would work except i know a resistor is missing from one already(i don't know what else), and the other is missing an inductor at the least. That's the problem, there is hot glue on the boards where it looks like some parts were taken off.

I do understand the idea about klipsch using the same boards for different speakers and there will be blank spaces for parts that aren't used. The thing here is I don't have a frame of reference for what they are supposed to have.

Maybe I will try the Klipsch boards to see if anyone has any schematics.

Mike
                            Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• Risingjay
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW

$80 is a complete ripoff given the quality of parts used in that crossover. The lower cost Klipsch designs are known for having minimal bare bones crossovers. There's less than $10 worth of parts in that picture

Bob Crites is very well know and very respected in the Klipsch community. If people want subwoofer info, they want to know what Thomas has to say. If you want a great sounding Klipsch speaker, you go to Bob Crites for networks. Yes, I understand people could build their own, but Bob has been redesigning Klipsch's crappy networks for years. I own a pair of Chorus II's that will soon have a new Bob Crites network in it. I don't own test equipment and I know he tests all of his work.

There is a difference though. He sells repair kits that are to Klipsch's design, and then he sells new networks designed by himself. Big differences in price.

Please note that he does not even bother with redesigning the KG3.2 networks. You can only get the repair kits for it. But for my Chorus II's, he sells both a repair kit and a completely redesigned networks.

I do agree with you Thomas, but I will take it a step further, Klipsch skimps out on the networks for all their speakers.
                              Last edited by Risingjay; 14 November 2009, 12:39 Saturday.

Comment

• kingpin
                                • Jun 2006

You know something, there are more good people around the audio circle than anywhere.
                                I posted for some help on the Klipsch forums, and the first reply today was from Mr. Crites himself with a pdf of the x-over schematic for my speakers.

Now to make heads or tales of it. LOL

Mike
                                Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• Risingjay
                                  • Oct 2006

I called and talked to Bob for the first time last saturday and instead of me buying his brand new, plug and play crossover networks, he talked me into just doing a recap. He figured since I already have sodering experience on other projects that I should be able to do this one. I do have to correct myself though, I was under the impression that he redesigned new crossovers for my Chorus II's, but they're not. They are brand new crossover networks true to the original design but with high quality parts. So I just ordered the rebuilds and saved myself $205! Bob also sells titanium replacements for the tweeters that are supposed to do wonders for the top end. Check out what people have to say about his tweeter replacements on the klipsch forum. The replacements for my speakers were $52 a pair. We'll see how good they are later this week.

Comment

• kingpin
                                    • Jun 2006

Alright so after my frankenklipsch were so heavily put down by Thomas(kidding Thomas), I put them aside and sold them, and am picking up these on Saturday or Sunday.

You guys will love this. LOL
                                    Alittle old skool in the house.

Mike
                                    Attached Files
                                    Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• A/C WildWood
                                      • Nov 2009

KG3 Specs

It seems to late But I have a Stock pair of KG3's, I bought new many moons ago. If you would like I can send you some pics of the components. I just happened to be looking around about tweaking these & this post can up in a search. Just a noob, this is my 1st post.

John

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"