X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derekbannatyne
    • Jan 2006

Blown Crossover?

Hey Everyone, just wondering if someone could shed some light on a problem I'm having. Long story short, I came back one night and one of my roommates had turned up my Modula MTs too loud and now both my tweeters (Seas 27TDFC) are not functioning.

I'm sure it's the crossover that's bad, as I can directly connect the tweeter (at low volumes) to my receiver and everything works fine. Also, the woofer doesn't make any sound if I connect it to the tweeter outputs.

Is there any way to test individual crossover components? I have a basic digital multimeter that will measure resistance and voltage.

Thanks for the help!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The resistors are probably toasted. The other components are pretty hard to damage..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• evilskillit
      • Oct 2008

Wow, I think I might end my room mates life. Even if it does just end up being a couple of dollars worth of resistors the fact that they took something that you put so much time and money into that is a piece of precision engineering and just cranked it till they broke it... Grr.

Anyways, good luck getting your speakers fixed, hopefully its nothing.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Wow. I'm just wondering how loud he was listening to them? I'm picturing a small apartment where the levels it would take to blow them would be quite loud.

If you want to add a little extra protection, you could double up the resistors when you re-build them. Resistor values don't add, they add inversely.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Here's a story for you: I built a set of towers about 8 years ago and laid out the crossover boards carefully, with the wire routing a thing of precision beauty and economy. I put a right angle bend in one of the resistor leads; however, I didn't notice that I had crimped the bend too tight and had reduced the cross-section of the lead by ~50%. Months later, the tweeter in that speaker went silent. I figured I'd fried its voice coil, impossible as that sounds. Examining the xover, I saw the resistor swinging in the breeze, having melted at my precision right angle bend. ops: numnuts

Comment

• aweil
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ---k---
            Wow. I'm just wondering how loud he was listening to them? I'm picturing a small apartment where the levels it would take to blow them would be quite loud.

If you want to add a little extra protection, you could double up the resistors when you re-build them. Resistor values don't add, they add inversely.
            You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by aweil
              You don't know what you're talking about, do you?
              Wow, that was rude. Hopefully, you were just running short on time and didn't have enough time to fully explain your answer, rather than just being a rude. FYI, rude people don't last long here.

It's been a long time since my freshman electrical engineering course, and I think you may be right. I've seen parallel resistors offered as a suggestion in the past and it was the first thing that came to my mind.

Maybe you would care to explain it for all of us and offer a useful suggestion.
              - Ryan

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

I knew what you meant, Ryan.

Parallel R = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn)

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Thanks Dennis. That is exactly what I meant. I was in the process of typing that out myself in the first response, but the boss walked in and it was easier to erase the last sentence than to finish it.

Then I got that response and started to doubt myself. Good to know my brain hasn't gone to total mush.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• derekbannatyne
                    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the responses!

I took out both of the crossovers, and it looks like the 8 ohm resistors fried (there was a black pool of some liquid underneath them). I just placed an order for new 12 watt resistors, hopefully the extra 2 watts will provide some extra protection.

And I have no idea at how loud he must have been listening to music, our living room is maybe 10x12 feet - must have been painfully loud. I'm not too upset about it, but I was definitely a little pissed off when it happened. But it shouldn't take too long to repair, and stuff happens.

Hopefully this will do the trick!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"