X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rog2961
    • Mar 2009

sub snap sound

Heres what I have setup for my sub. I have an AA avalanche 15. I have it in a 10cuft box with a ~16hz tune. The port is a 6in diameter PVC pipe with a length of 2ft. I am powering the sub with a ep2500. The signal is coming from a denon 2809ci.

Now I currently have the ep2500 with the dial set at the 9o'clock position with the denon sub level down to -4. I know this does not mean much in regards to voltage settings. But I am having this nasty snap sound coming from the sub.

For example I was playing the last couple scenes in transformers where there is alot of stuff blowing up and whatnot. A couple of the scenes dig real deep. The bass is impressive but when it gets REAL deep, my sub makes this gut wretching SNAP sound. Not a bottoming out sound, but like you are snapping some thin wood. At which point I turn it all the way back down, and the sub operates normally.

I come from the 12volt world so I have had plenty of experience with subs, even blew my own once, so i know what bottoming out soudns like, but I have NEVER heard this sound before. On scenes with normal bass, I can turn the dial past 12 o'clock and at that point it will be substantial bass. But the only way I can safely eliminate that snapping sound is to turn the dial allll the way down. The dip switches are all set correctly except for the clip limiter(off), which I would assume would have no effect as it only limits the clipping on the amp side (correct me if im wrong).

I duplicated the sonotube designs from either this site or hometheatershack, with exception i used a box instead of a sonotube, I have not heard of anyone having this problem before. Does anyone have any advice, the only thing I can think of is making a new box and bringing the tune up to 20hz.
  • mazurek
    • Mar 2006

The amplifier is likely clipping. You can get an idea of what clipping sounds like by playing a square wave in TrueRTA with a very low frequency.

There is a reason that the biggest fanatics on this forum use up to 4 >15" woofers in efficient alignments. Its possible you could gain some voltage headroom without losing performance by putting a high pass filter before your amp.

Comment

• rog2961
      • Mar 2009

I have heard what clipping sounds like, I used oscopes to tune my subs in car applications, and when i tune the gain way beyond the input voltage it would never sound like a loud snapping sound.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

My guess is you're hearing the effect of the driver unloading as it tries to play frequencies below Fb.

This would be aggravated by changing to a box with a 20Hz Fb.

Any reason why you don't use a high-pass filter to protect the driver in the existing box?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• rog2961
          • Mar 2009

That makes sense. I have a bfd but it looks like I can't do high pass filters with it. Are reckhorn b2s the only option or at there others?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Behringer MIC2200
            Rane PE-17
            Symetrix 551E

Are a few I know

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"