X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eurasian
    • Oct 2009

Newbee introduction and a few questions

Hello, All

I have been reading the posts here for a few years and have often been awed and inspired by the members' high quality DIY efforts. Until recently I haven't had the time or the space to build my own statement system, but now I find myself with only 2 kids left at home and a nice (mostly empty) 14' x 20' basement room to play with.

Over the years, I have accumulated the pieces for a monopole stereo line-source system. I have 6 working 31" Gold Ribbon Concepts planar magnetic drivers, an assortment of 8" and 9" Acoustat panels and interfaces, a Behringer dsp crossover/eq/delay unit and many amplifiers. I would also like to incorporate an active bass array (using 6 15" woofers on each of the short walls) for infra-sonics to ~80Hz, where the Acoustat panels will take over -- perhaps up to 400Hz or so.

Ideally, I would like to build the planar elements flush into one of the short walls to minimize reflections, diffraction and baffle step issues. Ultimately, I want to go the full Ambiophonics route with cross-talk cancellation for the main speakers and at least 2 side ambience channels.

Mainly, my concerns are about using the Acoustat panels as monopoles in an enclosure and what to do about side wall reflections, so please jump in with any thoughts, questions, observations, warnings, etc. I will be very grateful for any and all input.

Thanks,
    Eurasian
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Your concerns are well founded; ESL and other types of large planar speakers typically have a very high Vas, this means trying to use them as monopole in-walls will be problematic unless you can vent the rearwave into an adjoining room.

I don't see how you're going to build a dozen 15's into boxes and expect them to be viable option in a 14' deep room.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• eurasian
      • Oct 2009

Hello, Thomas

I am prepared to give up a foot or so on either end of the room to provide volume for rear wave absorption, so the room becomes more like 14' x 18'. This should give me >100 cubic feet on each end for this purpose. The woofers would be mounted 6 each in opposite 14' x 8' walls with the ones behind me delayed and 180 degrees out of phase to more-or-less completely cancel the front wall's planar wave.

Another possibility is to duct the rear wave upwards and into a very large volume above the listening room which measures approx. 14' x 20' x 3' (I guess this is IB territory) and can be separated from the lower room by an additional layer of sheet-rock (or two). I think I can get by with high displacement 12" woofers if necessary.

My only experience with monopole esl's was with a pair of Beveridge 2's I owned several years ago. They had about 2 square feet of box area behind the elements which were 12" wide and a total of 6' tall for a back volume of ~12 square feet. They were good to at least 50Hz without a noticeable bass peak. What downside do you envision in running the Acoustats monopole? Will there be an unmanageable bass/mid-bass peak?

Comment

• eurasian
        • Oct 2009

Another thought -- I have 16 Audax 6.5" polypropylene mid/woofers that came with the ribbons. If the esl panels are not suitable, I can use them. They have a Fs of ~35Hz and Qts of about .4. I can't remember what the Vas is, but I'm sure it is much less than the Acoustats.

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

The Acoustat panels may have a very high "Q" factor. I would first test them in a subenclosure to see if they meet your criteria.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"