Does anyone know much about the AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Does anyone know much about the AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor?

AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor I found what appears to be a great deal with 16 gig and dual hard drives, as long as the CPU is competitive under load, I think I am all over this deal...

Anybody?

thanks!
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I've always been a fan of AMD CPUs, great bang for the buck and decent performance in most cases.

This review https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...600x-and-1500x says they work well for multi threaded applications, but per-core clock speed and overclocking ability isn't quite up to Intel levels.

I guess it all depends on your application. But it seems like a good deal to me, and unless you need top notch performance (heavy duty gaming, video rendering etc). the Ryzen 5 should serve you well.

What would you be using it for?

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Ryzen chips are more dependent on memory speed than Intels at present. First gen Ryzen's sweet spot is around 3000 MHz, depending on the motherboard. Second gen (2xxx) is good for 3600 MHz in most cases. With the Zen architecture there is a I/O chiplet under the heat spreader with the processor. The processor communicates with the I/O device at RAM speed, so the faster the RAM the faster the CPU.

Overall, AMD has caught up (And 3rd gen surpasses) Intel's IPC, Ryzen gives you more cores with lower thermals (in general), and a lower TDP. If you can use the cores the Ryzen chips are very good. In the enthusiast market AMD is now outselling Intel. If the deal seems good to you I doubt you'll go wrong with a Ryzen CPU. :T
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, since it was for average use, I pulled the trigger, the side ways mount DVD RW drive on system front, and clean stainless front was the kicker. Lots of USB ports on front, and some on back, and then what really blew me away was it had built in Wireless!!! or hard wired, your choice. I will say this was perhaps the quickest computer base setup I have ever done. 10 minutes to `15 mins I was up and running and on the net! 600 bucks with 16 gig of DDR4 ram, a small solid state drive for OS, and a Terrabyte D drive, stainless steel front look, compact, came with extre keyboard and mouse, and cabling, I hooked the video up to VGA, and it's running fine, I hated their umbrella desktop photo, already been changed. I'll play with it on the side, it's setup at my great room computer desk with an old offline Vista box there and a Samsung big a$$ monitor, lol. I think I be good. Get me a good and normal portable mouse and keyboard, and start loading photoshop and Lightroom, and Outlook, is about all I use anymore... Gonna go surf on it a bit and speed test it after while maybe. But it seems ok. Well, there are some complications with my video stuff. I don't know that I will get it all on there, it may stay on the old offline HP computer. I have had good luck with HP computers at the desktop realm. But the days of nice AT compatible cases with SD and CF photo inputs are gone. It's bare bones and you gotta enrich it with USB goodies... Then some software I have I am not sure I can replicate on a new system. Is ok, I am a pretty basic photographapher now, but getting my sound software on there later could be difficult, or maybe I get upgrade, we see, right now I am not using recording software really... no time for it.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"