X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim1961
    • Nov 2012

USB Hub with Linear Power Supply

I only need 1 port actually since its only job will be to interface and power my WD 2TB Passport hdd drive. But 2 or 4 ports would obviously work fine also.

Basically, i just want to clean up the power arriving at the hdd and lessen noise leaking into the data stream.

Interestingly enough, I wanted to know how much juice the WD needed to operate properly. The figure 3.75w came up a couple times. Whats curious is that translates to 750ma, and USB 2.0 is only capable of 500ma as I understand it. So whats up with this? Anyway, the point is, a hub with a 1a (5w) power supply should be plenty to merely drive the WD.

Currently a very old (2007?) Belkin 4 port with a switching PS is doing the job. So almost anything would be better.

A blog for audiophiles about more objective topics. Measurements of audio gear. Reasonable, realistic, no snakeoil assessment of sound, and equipment.

What set me on this course in part was the above link. Different USB hubs exhibit differing amounts of noise. And that hubs in general can yield better SQ.

Anyone aware of anything that fits my bill thats is on the cheap (<$100)
    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections
  • DreamOn
    • Oct 2013

Why not try a noise filter on the power source. If heard of several persons having success with Audioquest Jitterbug.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"