X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Capture Cards

I'm looking to back up some recordings from our PVR as it's starting to get flaky (as they all seem to do in time) with locking up (and missing recording world junior hockey games :evil: ), slow access to recorded shows etc. We've got some kids shows that seem to be hard to find elsewhere that I'd hate to lose when we inevitably get a new PVR from our service provider.

I assume the easiest/only way to do this is with a capture card and using analog component cables.

It's been a LONG time since I was looking in to anything of the like and Hauppage was generally the consensus place to go for such products. Is that still the case? Any recommendations for models of theirs (or competing brands)? I've tried googling but all the searches seem to come up with 'gaming capture cards'...

Thanks for the help!
    Jason
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Presently leaning towards the Colossus 2 PCI EX card though I'm having trouble finding anywhere with stock in Canada :roll:

They also have an external unit that looks to have similar functionality but connects via USB. Again, stock in Canada seems to be an issue but it's (strangely) priced for less (albeit with no stock) than the internal unit.

Jason

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

My personal experience was with TV tuner cards, but the capture cards are basically the same, just lacking the tuner part. As far as I know Hauppauge is generally the way to go. Will the video be processed through a computer OS? If so, which one? Windows 10 doesn't do a very good job with video playback. I have a Windows 10/Windows 7 dual boot on my rig and the picture quality difference between the two is pretty significant. Windows 7 and 8/8.1 with Media Center give the best picture quality overall. That may change as Windows 10 matures but so far I haven't seen any improvement in that area. If you'll have to use Hauppauge's software in a PC, I would be looking at the stand alone unit. Windows 8/8.1 has good picture quality, but Hauppauge's software is clunky and not intuitive at all to use. That's why I mentioned Media Center as it's much easier to use. One or two click recording by series or channel or time. The Hauppauge software I have requires many more steps to record. I had to install the software because the disc contains the drivers but I never use it. It was an add on for 8/8.1 but is no longer available from M$. That was a primary reason for me keeping W7.

I had issues with waiting for my card to be in stock, too. I'm not sure what the deal is there, unless they order in batches for cost reasons.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Thanks Lee.

The card (leaning towards the Colossus 2) would be going in a Windows 8 PC to do the capturing/editing but not playback. I'll then transfer any files to my NAS for playback via Plex (I'll be capturing to MP4 video/AAC audio as that's what Plex uses natively).

I'll have to try tinkering around with my existing HDMI splitter to see if it will bypass HDCP and keep the chain digital. Apparently some folks have had luck doing so. Otherwise, I'll be happy with capturing via component and 'suffer' through that extra analog/digital conversion step. It seems most folks still end up with pretty nice looking files that route as well.
        Jason

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Windows 8 works as well as 7 for picture quality, so there shouldn't be any issues with that. The hardware itself I've gotten from Hauppauge has been good stuff. My last tuner card survived quite a few moves-installed in a PC and from PC to PC. Tough gear and reliable.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"