X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

iPhone 7

So the Apple press conference is going on now.

iPhone7 and Amazon just posted up some cases about an hour before the start of the press conference.

So dual lens camera and no 3.5 mm headphone jack. Faster processor and probably a IP67 rating. Those are the rumours to be confirmed in about an hour.

Mario and Zelda coming to the App store. So this is what Nintendo was waiting for. Move over Pokeman Go.

But it's in portrait mode. Does it go landscape? It was designed to be played one handed. Looks good.

It's not free, but at a single price point with no in-app purchases? I find that hard to believe, but we'll see.

Some stuff about watch2

Now onto iPhone.

Sold over 1 Billion iPhones.

iOS10 should be out later today.

iPhone7

1 - Design
    Some new mfg processes.
    New colours
    Jet black = Piano black
    "Black" Bead blasted, basically Matte black
    as well as Gold, Silver and rose gold

2 - Home button
    is now haptic feedback, like the track pad on Macbook pro

force sensitive, taptic engine underneath

3 - Enclosure is water and dust resisten
    + ip67 rating, dust and water immersion at 1 meter for 30 minutes

4 - camera
    iphone 7 and 7 plus have diffent cameras
    OIS in 7 and 7+
    1.8 apeture
    6 element lense
    12 Megapixel sensor
    new truetone flash quad LED
    7 MP front camera

7 Plus gets 2 12MP camera units
    2x optical zoom
    upto 10x digital zoom using the 2x optical zoom
    2 cameras used to create a sharp foreground with a blurred background

5 - Brighter screen

6 - Stereo speakers
    2x volume and greater dynamic range

7 - EarPods
    Connect over lightning so no more 3.5 mm audio jack
    Included lightning to audio jack for all 7 and 7plus

8 - Wireless
    Airpods - Apple's wireless headphones
    Pretty sexy looking headphones.
    5 hours charge for each side
    Carrying case also provides charging so 24 hours
    So no mention if it is included with the phones are no.

9 - Applepay
    Can now use in Japan

10 - Performance
    A10 Fusion chip
    64 bit 4 core

2 high-efficiency cores that run 1/5 the power and will run tasks that don't need the power

2 high performance cores

40% faster than the iPhone 6s

Prices
    US$
    iPhone 7
    $649 - 32GB - Cdn$899
    $749 - 128GB - Cdn$1,029
    $849 - 256GB - Cdn$1,159

Jet black only available in 128 and 256 sizes

iPhone 7 plus
    US$
    $769 - 32GB - Cdn$1,049
    $869 - 128GB - Cdn$1,179
    $969 - 256GB - Cdn$1,309

Preorder Friday Sept 9 available Sept 16

Cool
    32GB and 128 GB in the 6 and 6sPlus

Airpods are shipping in late October for US$159
    Last edited by P-Dub; 09 September 2016, 02:34 Friday.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Once again Apple is making things proprietary. Elimination of the 3.5mm headphone jack??!! Really??!! Also, they are still behind in the camera megapixel rating. No thanks......Android is still better in my opinion.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by madmac
      Once again Apple is making things proprietary. Elimination of the 3.5mm headphone jack??!! Really??!! Also, they are still behind in the camera megapixel rating. No thanks......Android is still better in my opinion.
      Agree on the elimination of the haedphone jack. This has pretty much been telegraphed from rumours for at least 6 months. However, the mainstream media has also picked this out. Will see how they do, my guess is it won't hurt their sales one bit. I don't like it and I'm glad I got the previous version.

As for MP rating, I don't really care on the number, I care about the overall quality of the shot. 12, 16, 21 the S7 is considered to have the best camera, but will see how this one does in a shootout.

I may be going for an Android for a work phone, will figure this out in the next month or so. Or I may have to stick with the BB OS. The one thing is the BB Classic has great battery life. Mind you I hardly use it. :lol: :rofl: I just use it as a hotspot.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by P-Dub
        Agree on the elimination of the haedphone jack. This has pretty much been telegraphed from rumours for at least 6 months. However, the mainstream media has also picked this out. Will see how they do, my guess is it won't hurt their sales one bit. I don't like it and I'm glad I got the previous version.

As for MP rating, I don't really care on the number, I care about the overall quality of the shot. 12, 16, 21 the S7 is considered to have the best camera, but will see how this one does in a shootout.

I may be going for an Android for a work phone, will figure this out in the next month or so. Or I may have to stick with the BB OS. The one thing is the BB Classic has great battery life. Mind you I hardly use it. :lol: :rofl: I just use it as a hotspot.
        Don't get me wrong, I think Apple makes a great product. I personally don't like the interface (OS). People that drink the Apple Kool aid love it and swear by it. For me, I prefer the Android 'open platform' concept. Less proprietary.

Your right about the camera. I think nowadays it comes more down to the quality of the lens than the megapixel count.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

To me, Apple vs non-Apple comes down to convenience and integration with other gear. My wife, after 12 years, just moved from a Blackberry Z30 to an iPhone (SE, though, not a 7--big reason was size as she was never comfortable with the Z30). It helped that BBM is now available on iPhones. I've had an iPhone 4 and now 6+. As I did before, I'll upgrade when my phone no longer keeps up with OS updates (I don't keep upgrading with new versions otherwise).

My wife's work computer is Windows driven (Lenovo, I think--but I never use it, so I'm not sure). Otherwise, we're a Mac household. Which makes us an Apple device household (iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TV, etc.).

The "closed nature" of Apple that frustrates many is something I like. 30 years ago, I played around in DOS (pre-Windows) and liked to tweak my stuff a lot. Life obligations made it impossible for me to "keep up" and, eventually, having things crash less frequently and work together more simply and seamlessly became more important than the option to customize things. I see the attraction for those who like to fiddle around, but, these days, I just want things to work when I turn them on. And while Apple products are hardly perfect in that regard, they are still better than the rest in terms of playing nicely across devices (I know I can do anything on a PC that I can do on a Mac, and some of them in a more sophisticated fashion, but working in one "universe" is convenient). And it's not like Apple hides that it is proprietary. So other options are available.

As to the jack, I think it'll be a non-issue. Just like when Apple dropped 3.5" floppies before anyone else, and optical drives, and serial/parallel ports, etc. People got over it, Apple continued to make lots of money and the world kept spinning. Besides, third party lightning adapters are surely going to emerge very quickly for those who do care (and, for audio enthusiasts, with built in DACs, to "improve" the sound--quote symbols because not all outboard DACs are created equal).

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
            To me, Apple vs non-Apple comes down to convenience and integration with other gear. My wife, after 12 years, just moved from a Blackberry Z30 to an iPhone (SE, though, not a 7--big reason was size as she was never comfortable with the Z30). It helped that BBM is now available on iPhones. I've had an iPhone 4 and now 6+. As I did before, I'll upgrade when my phone no longer keeps up with OS updates (I don't keep upgrading with new versions otherwise).

My wife's work computer is Windows driven (Lenovo, I think--but I never use it, so I'm not sure). Otherwise, we're a Mac household. Which makes us an Apple device household (iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TV, etc.).

The "closed nature" of Apple that frustrates many is something I like. 30 years ago, I played around in DOS (pre-Windows) and liked to tweak my stuff a lot. Life obligations made it impossible for me to "keep up" and, eventually, having things crash less frequently and work together more simply and seamlessly became more important than the option to customize things. I see the attraction for those who like to fiddle around, but, these days, I just want things to work when I turn them on. And while Apple products are hardly perfect in that regard, they are still better than the rest in terms of playing nicely across devices (I know I can do anything on a PC that I can do on a Mac, and some of them in a more sophisticated fashion, but working in one "universe" is convenient). And it's not like Apple hides that it is proprietary. So other options are available.

As to the jack, I think it'll be a non-issue. Just like when Apple dropped 3.5" floppies before anyone else, and optical drives, and serial/parallel ports, etc. People got over it, Apple continued to make lots of money and the world kept spinning. Besides, third party lightning adapters are surely going to emerge very quickly for those who do care (and, for audio enthusiasts, with built in DACs, to "improve" the sound--quote symbols because not all outboard DACs are created equal).
            That I will agree with......Apple stuff plays nicely together. My laptop does not like talking with my Samsung Note.......and to this day I'm not sure why. I probably don't know what I'm doing more likely. Apple stuff connects easily with other Apple stuff.......so long as it's Apple stuff!

Hey....how about those exploding Note 7's !!!!??? Sheesh !!

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

While that sucks for Samsung owners, I'm sure it put a smile on Apple shareholders.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I think Apple will do a roaring trade in AirPods due to the number that are lost or misplaced. Very cunning.

Nigel.

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I've had a chance to test out an iPhone 7 Plus for a little bit.

Here is a comparison pic from the 6s Plus on the left and the 7 Plus on the right. Not exactly at equal time, but close enough.

iPhone 7Plus

6s Plus

I think I might have did some adjustments, but can't remember.

7 Plus

I didn't have time to snap a comparison shot with the 6sPlus. Maybe next time.
                  Paul

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

I looked at those prices and remembered why I built a computer and own a cheap, minimalistic phone. Good luck, guys. LOL
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"