X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Upgrading projector to 4K with JVC RS2100

The time had finally come to upgrade the projector in the theater to 4K. I have a friend that uses JVC in the area and having seen many movies on his JVC I loved the vivid colors and the blacks. I was using a second hand Sony VPL-VW50 (White Pearl) since 2013 and it did great for 1080P. The only thing I dind't like about the Sony were the bars that were projected and there was no way to disable them. I decided to upgrade to the JVC RS2100

Here is what the old setup looked like:​

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sony-VPL-VW50-1.png Views:	15 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	926473

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sony-VPL-VW50-2.png Views:	16 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	926474

I purchased the JVC RS2100 from Arryve​ AV and worked with Tom to purchase the projector and get it shipped to my house. The projector arrived and the packaging was in good condition, and the story begins after I got it out of the box in the theater.

The Projector in the wrapping and being unwrapped:

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-1.jpg Views:	13 Size:	646.6 KB ID:	926475

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-2.jpg Views:	13 Size:	924.6 KB ID:	926476

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-3.jpg Views:	13 Size:	924.4 KB ID:	926477

The projector came with the rubber feet attached, but I had to remove those to attach the projector mount to hang this beast. I ordered the projector mount from B&H Photo. The projector mount was a bit tricky to figure out which one to get, but eventually I found a link over on AVS forum where someone shared the correct mount for this projector series.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-4.jpg Views:	10 Size:	550.1 KB ID:	926479

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-5.jpg Views:	10 Size:	706.2 KB ID:	926480

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-6.jpg Views:	13 Size:	700.3 KB ID:	926483

After getting the mount plate attached it was time to hang it. I ended up using a 4 ft ladder to rest the proejctor on to get it attached. This is a heavy projector weighing in at almost 50 lbs! I have a Chief mount that I will use for the new projector and I did not want to replace the mount.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chief-Projector-Mount-1.jpg Views:	12 Size:	687.5 KB ID:	926484

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-7.jpg Views:	12 Size:	373.2 KB ID:	926485

After the projector was mounted it was time to level the projector, and that process was pretty easy to do with the grid being projected. Note that the photo depicts before the projector was level.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JVC-RS2100-8.jpg Views:	12 Size:	613.4 KB ID:	926486

Next it was time to enjoy watching some 4K content. I have been watching Netflix and 4k Blu Ray thus far. I'm very happy with the projector, picture quality, and most importantly the ability to save screen sizes to easily move between different aspect ratios.
    Last edited by theSven; 19 September 2022, 18:05 Monday.
    Painter in training
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The XRCD projectors are great- I'm sure you're going to get a lot of great viewing out of your new JVC.

Funny, I used to have one of those Sony's, too! Seems like eons ago....
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
      Master of None
      • Jan 2014

The White Pearl was extremely reliable! I only changed the bulb once while I owned it. The only downside is that with all the travel I have going on right now I don't get to use the theater that much. I try to get a movie in at least once every weekend while I'm in town. When I do get to watch a movie it's like the beginning when I first got into this with the wow factor. This has definitely been a journey with no end in sight for a destination!
      Painter in training

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Nice upgrade Sven! JVC makes great projectors. I remember seeing one a zillion years ago (give or take a few) and it had a stunning picture. It used some unique tech (maybe D-ILA... also something about the bulb being xenon or something) and it just put out one of the best pictures I ever saw on a digital projector in a home theater.

Oh... just looked at the website. A $11,000 projector w/8k capability? Yowsa. And they do still use D-ILA. I bet it looks amazing.

Comment

• theSven
          Master of None
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Kevin P
          Nice upgrade Sven! JVC makes great projectors. I remember seeing one a zillion years ago (give or take a few) and it had a stunning picture. It used some unique tech (maybe D-ILA... also something about the bulb being xenon or something) and it just put out one of the best pictures I ever saw on a digital projector in a home theater.

Oh... just looked at the website. A $11,000 projector w/8k capability? Yowsa. And they do still use D-ILA. I bet it looks amazing.
          I have a room mate that split the cost with me. I waited 1 year of him complaining about the Sony to get him to go in half with me. We also got a better deal than the 11K. The perks of having a room mate allowed for this hobby to evolve to where it is today 🤔.

The bigger woes I'm having now are with the Emotiva RMC-1. I need to do another thread from the cable weekend. Long story short I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering changing to Arcam now. A big perk is the Arcam has built in support for Roon!
          Painter in training

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"