X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Ces 2017

So just posting up some cool stuff I found so far.

Projectors!

Looks like Vivitek will be releasing a 4k native DLP projector for $2999 later this year.

Optoma has a couple of interesting units, there is a 1080p laser projector with HDR colorspace called the ZH55. No pricing or much information at all on that one yet.

Also Optoma has the UHD60 coming which is another 4k native DLP projector. It's going to MSRP at only $2799 and also has HDR.

Optoma UHD60 projector specs, projector reviews and current street prices.

I should point out the 4k DLP projectors coming out use a wobbulation tech to double the pixels out of their 4 million pixel DMD. Side by side testing with native Sony 4k units seems to show there is no ill effect from this and gives you a full 4k resolution with 8 million real pixels unlike current eshift technology DILA/LCD products which have 2 million pixel sensors with a doubler and then the eshift to get all of the pixels. So at best they have 4 million addressable pixels.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Oh also as posted in another thread, Sony has a high end XBR OLED set they are releasing. No pricing, but it uses the LG panels with their own processing.

Along with its OLED panel, Sony's XBR-A1E BraviaTV aims to offer top-notch audio, excellent processing, and a gorgeous design.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Emotiva announced their RMC-1 processor. Has full 16 channels for 7.4.6 or whatever configuration you want really. Each of those 16 channels has it's own 32 bit dac that runs in mono mode. Has the full Dirac Live suite and a slew of other crazy high end features that you normally don't see on processors under the 10k + mark.

The Emotiva RMC-1 16CH Dolby Atmos/DTS:X AV Processor boasts a fully balanced all-analog preamplifier section,32-bit AD/DA conversion, and an advanced 4K UHD video management system. Check it out.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Let me check if I won that 60 million dollar lottery ticket (not that I need it to afford the processor, but it would help to pay for the dedicated theatre I would build on my new multi-building property...:B)

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well I think the next similar device that has similar features is like 15k or something. So 5k isn't bad...but I agree it's a lot of money.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

is that not what CES is all about?

a bunch of way cool stuff the rest of us can only hope to own many years down the road after the early adopters vet out the hype from real performance vs value?

just kidding......sort of......
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Volya GmbH
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by wkhanna
              is that not what CES is all about?

a bunch of way cool stuff the rest of us can only hope to own many years down the road after the early adopters vet out the hype from real performance vs value?

just kidding......sort of......
              Fully agree, CES is a place of cool but sometimes absolutely useless stuff, as an audiophile I am far away of adding it to my list of favourite tech events. High End in Munich- that is a heaven for me!

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Hence why I only listed items of interest. None of the stuff I listed is out of the range of some of the people here on the forum. I guess next year I won't share lol.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

no worries, Dougie!

your posts are meaningful as i have is no doubt many others are interested....

as the Forum's resident curmudgeon, i just feel compelled to meet my daily quota for cynicism & grumpy comments.....
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Yeah, I know lol. I've just been waiting for affordable 4k projectors. The RMC-1 processor is just awesome, granted not really on my scale for budget reasons lol.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

I've used Opotoma for portable presentation projectors, so that UHD60 has some street credibility for me.

OTOH, the portable projector I'm current using for work (and at home now and then) is an Epson 16:10 model, 1920x1080P. Which I really like...

based on that, I'd be inclined to look closely at what they're doing with the 5040UB which does one of those motion things also, for $2999, or if I won the lottery, the G7500 or 6040.

We can all dream, right?

Too bad there's no way my venerable NEC 10PG will quite crank up to those resolutions- it will do 2560X1600, but the show stops there...

Let's face it, I'm from the wrong era! :W
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well the Epson starts with a 2 million pixel panel. By time it gets to the screen what they call 4k only has 4 million addressable pixels. 4k is of course 8 million pixels. The new DLP chip starts with 4 million pixels and then uses wobulation (the same as epson and JVC) to get the full 8 million pixels. The difference is that the DLP's actually have 8 million addressable pixels vs just having 4 million pixels. From what I understand the new DLP's are pretty much indistinguishable from the native 4k Sony projectors, which is good news to my ear since they are less than half the cost.

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Problem with DLP (at least affordable DLP), for me, is rainbow effect. I am particularly sensitive to it AND I watch a lot of black and white movies. Bad combo. Three chip DLP can look amazing (no colour wheel, no RBE) but, as far as I know, only commercial grade machines in the five to six figures are three chip DLP. My Epson 5030 does outstanding work (especially for what I paid, compared to its original MSRP). If it lasts as long as my previous PJ (nine years), 4K will be in a price range I can afford (of course, by then, 16K with holographic capabilities will probably be the norm, but what's a guy to do?).

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

They are supposed to be pretty good on the RBE, but if you're really sensitive to it then yeah I imagine it could be a problem.

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                              Problem with DLP (at least affordable DLP), for me, is rainbow effect. I am particularly sensitive to it AND I watch a lot of black and white movies. Bad combo. Three chip DLP can look amazing (no colour wheel, no RBE) but, as far as I know, only commercial grade machines in the five to six figures are three chip DLP. My Epson 5030 does outstanding work (especially for what I paid, compared to its original MSRP). If it lasts as long as my previous PJ (nine years), 4K will be in a price range I can afford (of course, by then, 16K with holographic capabilities will probably be the norm, but what's a guy to do?).

I'm still waiting for a holodeck........
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                They are supposed to be pretty good on the RBE, but if you're really sensitive to it then yeah I imagine it could be a problem.
                                Some top flight home ones are okay with colour but I've not found one yet that works well with black and white movies. But I've only had my Epson since July, so I'm fine for a long time to come.

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                                  I'm still waiting for a holodeck........
                                  You do realize when the holodeck is invented, it'll be the end of civilization as we know it.

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                                    You do realize when the holodeck is invented, it'll be the end of civilization as we know it.
                                    God, I hope so. LOL
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"