X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

New Projector in the House

The projector arrived yesterday morning (a day early--yay!). Installation was very easy--same shelf, just plug power and HDMI, adjust zoom/focus/lens shift, and we're off.

First impressions:
    • WAY more settings in the menu than my last projector.
    • PQ a major improvement in sharpness (not as nice as nicest 4K sets I've seen, but nicer than many 1080p/i feeds on those same sets); some of that is probably better lens, as well as higher resolution (1080p v 720p)
    • Black levels way better than my old machine, even without dynamic iris
    • Colours in THX mode, out of the box, impressive; after tweaking settings with a calibration disc (no advanced gear, but a pretty thorough set of adjustments), even better; (will likely keep tweaking for next few weeks, as I did with the last PJ)
    • Very bright (VERY), even in low power mode; will take some getting used to (or a bigger screen )
    • Full power modes work fine even with lots of ambient light (should be good for hockey playoff time)

For the kids, I'll have to add a 3D player (they like 3D movies--me, not so much), but that's not an immediate need.

A great upgrade to the cave (and one that requires no other gear upgrades--my wallet is happy with that).
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

And the winner was??

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Oops. Epson 5030ub. Got a great deal in CDN dollars (about 2200$ tax in, so 1675$ USD at today's exchange rate). Includes a free extra bulb (300$ CDN value). At CDN MSRP, with bulb, it would have been 3100$ plus 15% tax, so about 3500$ CDN. A fair deal, I think.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

good for you.
        you deserve it :T
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Nice :T
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"