X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

To wear glasses or not??!!

Over the years I have noticed my TV picture has gotten a little 'soft'. What used to be a nice, sharp image has become like a soft Monet painting. The issue of course is not with the TV..... but rather, my eyesight!!

What used to be needing glasses for reading only has somehow pulled out a bit and I'm not seeing sharp images with my eyes until about 10 feet out.

When I put on 1.00 reading glasses to watch my TV, the image instantly becomes crystal clear !!:E

The question is do I use glasses to watch TV now or........ by doing this will it make my eyesight degenerate to even worse.......quicker??!!

Thoughts??
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I'd advise a visit to the optometrist. If you use glasses regularly, it will slightly accelerate the decline in visual acuity but will give you more stability and comfort in the long run (I've noticed this with my reading glasses). However, if you use glasses intended for one purpose (presuming your reading glasses are unifocal) for another, you could induce eye strain that affects your vision more generally.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Sold advice.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

My issue does not require an expensive Optometrist. All I really need on a day to day basis is basic 1.50 reading glasses. The last thing I want to do is wear glasses constantly........at least for now.

The upshot of it is that if I wear 1.00 glasses to watch TV, my TV goes from a 60 inch to 65 inch instantly !! Bonus??!!

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Why not just get an eye exam? It doesn't take that long lol.

Over here an eye exam is like 40-60 bucks.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
            Why not just get an eye exam? It doesn't take that long lol.

Over here an eye exam is like 40-60 bucks.
            Because fundamentally they will say that I need glasses.........expensive one's, that I should wear all the time which I do not want to do!! One thing that does sound interesting to me is eye laser surgery. My mother had it done and had 20/20 vision after!!

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by madmac
              Because fundamentally they will say that I need glasses.........expensive one's, that I should wear all the time which I do not want to do!! One thing that does sound interesting to me is eye laser surgery. My mother had it done and had 20/20 vision after!!
              My optometrist eventually told me I needed glasses (which I did) but not before many years of regular eye exams where no glasses were necessary. Also, he is the first to point out I don't need new ones, until I actually do, even when I anticipate needing new ones.

Lastly, eye health is as important as the rest of one's body. Putting it off, like putting off the dentist, is almost always going to be costlier in the long run. It's up to you. In my case, proper eyewear is essential for my profession (I read more books in a year than most people do in their adulthood). YMMV

Incidentally, if you should be wearing glasses all the time, it's dangerous to your long term vision if you don't. I've had glasses for five years now and I still don't need them all the time. Why assume that's what you'll be told?

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

but they will be able to figure out your exact prescription and there are some cheap places to obtain glasses from that are pretty decent. Also just because you avoid going doesn't change the fact whether you need glasses all the time or not.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

You're treating them like a salesman, where their goal is to push you into the most expensive pair of glasses whether you need them or not. They're doctors, or at least the ones you need to go to are.

I needed glasses in the 7th grade. Switched to contacts in the 9th. By the time I was 30 my eyesight improved to the point where the doctor told me don't bother wearing anything anymore. They're only going to tell you what the exam tells them.

If you want laser surgery, who do you think you have to see to even get that option?

Kevin

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

If it makes it any easier, what we want rarely coincides with what we need. I think The Rolling Stones said something about that. Growing old ain't for sissies, my friend.

Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Also glasses sales are generally kept completely separate from the Dr's office, sure they may be attached together but most places I've gone it was pretty much like 2 separate businesses.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

One thing that does sound interesting to me is eye laser surgery. My mother had it done and had 20/20 vision after!!
                        Had mine done 15+ years ago and it's honestly one of the best decisions I've made my entire life.
                        Jason

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I should add a disclaimer. I had cataract surgery in 2005 (?) and wear bifocals. I've been wearing glasses since I was 18, so while I still find them annoying, I'm used to them.
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"