Re-discovering my Projector again (1080P)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Re-discovering my Projector again (1080P)

I had not used my projector in a fairly long time (Sanyo Z4 or Z5, heck, I forget!) I'll look and post it... First, my music instruments have rather taken over my great room. Second, my home theater processor is out of working order. Well, I did some re-arranging, and while I can't produce FULL screen video, I am using about 3/4 of my screen last 2 days to rediscover a LARGE image. I wasn't disappointed, except for the feed from TBS via Directv. I could tell that the older movie was not being shown in 1080p (ghost of girlfriends past) Commercials though went very clear and great color. So, it's renewed my sense of urgency to get my Lexicon MC-12 fixed. I'd like to do so soon.

Anyway, don't discount older projectors for new LCD and 4K and all, the old 1080p projectors are still capable of throwing a very usable image, and immerse you in the video like no small image can. So, that's all I got to say about that...

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
    I had not used my projector in a fairly long time First, my music instruments have rather taken over my great room. Second, my home theater processor is out of working order. Well, I did some re-arranging, and while I can't produce FULL screen video, I am using about 3/4 of my screen last 2 days to rediscover a LARGE image. I wasn't disappointed, except for the feed from TBS via Directv. I could tell that the older movie was not being shown in 1080p (ghost of girlfriends past) Commercials though went very clear and great color. So, it's renewed my sense of urgency to get my Lexicon MC-12 fixed. I'd like to do so soon.

Anyway, don't discount older projectors for new LCD and 4K and all, the old 1080p projectors are still capable of throwing a very usable image, and immerse you in the video like no small image can. So, that's all I got to say about that...

Doug
    Bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to video and I always tell people to get the biggest TV they can afford. The only time I would have an issue with 'more' is if the 'more' was worse than the 'less'.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

expectations have to be realistic with front projection when you get the image up that big, unless you are prepared to spend one lot of money. Of course, they have improved since mine I am sure, but it's still enjoyable to have that big image, and the clarity, while not as good as my 1080p plasma and 4K LCD, it's still worth watching! I had forgot how much I enjoyed it over this past year.
      Doug

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
        expectations have to be realistic with front projection when you get the image up that big, unless you are prepared to spend one lot of money. Of course, they have improved since mine I am sure, but it's still enjoyable to have that big image, and the clarity, while not as good as my 1080p plasma and 4K LCD, it's still worth watching! I had forgot how much I enjoyed it over this past year.
        It must be really cool to watch a sporting event with one of those !!
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I tend to watch EVERYTHING in my theater nowadays. TV, sports, movies, video games, etc.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I moved my a/v cabinet back outside the main theater screen line, it's hard to describe, but basically I had already narrowed my entry way with a 24" wide desk like thing that sits back some, so I just put my AV cabinet in front if it, and that allowed me to move my speaker further out, making screen real estate more accessable. I have a pretty big 16:9 screen, I went basically as big as my wall would hold last time. It's huge! It's so huge, my projector would have to be backed up to even fill it up width wide. I can't go much further without it being in the way.

Goodnews, after doing that, I fine adjusted my projector in the menus and was getting a REAL nice image. Not overly bright, but that allows me better color retention. I can control the lighting pretty well anyway, and since it's mostly just me watching, I'm good with that. I thought it was pretty impressive last night with a couple of Showtime things. Hard to imagine how much better the best BD discs would be. I am pretty happy considering it's a few years old, not current technology. That's ok, I kept the hours pretty low on my bulb, and it's in good shape.
            Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Anyway, don't discount older projectors for new LCD and 4K and all, the old 1080p projectors are still capable of throwing a very usable image, and immerse you in the video like no small image can.
              Glad you're enjoying the big picture with your newly re-discovered projector, and I agree about the still-satisfying capability of some older models.

My 5 year old 1080p projector is LCD, and despite its age, at least on the spec sheet, it comes very close to the performance of the newer one now being pitched to me in almost daily emails from a prominent online projector sales company (which happens to be where I bought my current machine.) Since the original bulb still has less than 1,000 hours on it, the projector still operates without issues and the big picture looks great, I'm content to keep the dollars it would take to buy a new one in savings.

After recent major upgrades to my main L&R speakers and the amplifiers that drive them, it's fortunate I can find at least one place to economize. :>) But since listening to music has become the main focus of my use of the system, with movies being less than 20% of my use of the system these days primarily due to time constraints (just not very many opportunities to sit down and watch a movie all the way through in one sitting), upgrading the components that play a big role in music reproduction made the most sense for me.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"