X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Change that lamp!

I know most members here have moved on from RPTV's to flat panels but if your hanging on like me, you owe it to yourself to NOT hang onto your RPTV bulb for too long........even if it's working.

Like the plasma phenomenon, rear projection TV bulbs lose their intensity over time, affecting picture quality and clarity.

I have the last Sony SXRD RPTV they made (60") and I just changed the bulb yesterday. OMFG what a difference !! It's like a new TV !! I honestly cannot believe the difference in picture quality, brightness and clarity!! :T All I can say is CHANGE THOSE BULBS !! There's even more reason to do it more often now because the price of the bulbs has gone down dramatically. :W
    Dan Madden :T
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Also, the bulb can explode if it's kept too long past the rated hours, possibly damaging the TV or leaving you with a mess of glass shards to clean up when you do change it.

So far I've avoided the whole bulb thing. I still run a CRT FPTV. Some day when LED tech advances to the point where it's practical for a FPTV I'll upgrade.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Also make sure you get an OEM bulb and not some chinese one. Brother in law got a cheap bulb for the Sony SXRD that I gave to him (55") and it looked like crap afterwards. Generally for the first 100-200 hours the bulb will actually be too bright, and your blacks will be more washed out than normal.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"