X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Crossroads

Well, it seems that the forum is not doing so well now. I don't know how long we can hang on.

I would like to ask, if I put a donations button up, if our die hard HTG fans would help a little bit?

The other alternative is if anyone knows a lot about how to drive more traffic to the site, and how to add revenue producing items to the existing G Ads. At some point, I will have to make a tough decision. Especially as I move closer to retirement. When that is, I am not sure.

It's especially sad for me, but we do have fixed expenses that hit my CC every month for the server. I am open to suggestions.

Ho Daddy really screwed me over autorenewing for 9 years, that cost me over 200 bucks. GRRRRR :M
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I would like to ask, if I put a donations button up, if our die hard HTG fans would help a little bit?
    This one will. Have to be after the 3rd of next month, though. I'll do what I can.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I can try and help too, if it isn't too much per month... I'm broke too.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Thanks guys. Ad revenue is down, used to get something to help on expenses monthly, right now, not making the quota for pmt monthly. Clickz may help, ones that result in purchases, even better. I will keep an eye on it Donate buttons are quite common on forums with lower traffic. If we could boost membership and traffic, would that ever help. The only other option to stay active is donations. Maybe implementing ad words is an option. Know anything about that Kev?

thanks.
        Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Unfortunately what was keeping the site alive (the DIY section) has sort of dwindled and a lot of it has moved to other forums, at one point in time this was one of the only forums for DIY speakers.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I'm sorry if I've been less active of late. I am in the middle of comprehensive field exams for my Ph.D. (this is a rare in-between day), but I should be more present as of June. My studies have significantly cut into my movie and TV viewing, so I haven't been able to post as much as I used to there.

As for revenue, I'm not very knowledgeable about such things in the online world (I'm an historian--and I do meet the stereotype of the academic who could not run a business ). However, a subscription/donation model is something I could support. Once I get a better balance of free vs study vs work time, I would like to do more movie discussions--maybe do a "full review" of one of the (all too) many titles sitting in my "unwatched pile". I'm not equipped with the latest and greatest tech (vanilla 5.1 (two subs, but not separate feeds); 1080p PJ), so technical elements would be minimal in such things, but I did my Master's degree in the use of cinema as historical interpretative sources, which entailed a good deal of film studies readings. So I have a bit of an "informed amateur" background.

Anyway, I wish I had more to offer. I do promise if I win a big lotto, this site will are fully funded.

Cheers.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I'm doing click throughs on all the ads. I slacked on that for a little while, but I'm back on it now.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

There are some guys / admins that are really slick at tuning in revenues. I've never wanted to ask the membership, and I have avoided it all these years. But times have changed. It's not like when we had big paying advertisers. Those days are gone. So, somehow, we need to get more creative. I do not want to let the forum die. In fact, I would sell it cheap to some conglomerate before I would do that. But it would be nice if it could pay for itself under my continued ownership. I hope that it can. I am busy right now, but I will talk to Kev after I have researched PP and such for donations.

Thanks for the info Ovation, congrats on your accomplishment and thanks for the offer to chip in.
                Doug

Comment

• Geoff Gunnell
                  • Nov 2006

PayPal donation button sounds good to me to start with -- if necessary go to annual membership fee to be able to post.

I remember being in a sort of communal living rental house one time where the owner posted the bills -- property tax, insurance, utilities, etc. on a bulletin board in the front hall so folks would know how much was owed.

I don't know how open you want to (or should) be about how much money is needed monthly, but a program that would display a 'progress bar' as payments are made kind of involves payers in the process -- something to think about for later on.

Remember the Home Theater Spot? I still think about Winston and the other dogs! He had different levels of membership contribution (like Golden, Silver, etc.) that were indicated with a little pictogram and text that appeared on each post by the persons name. I remember that I was "Silver Spottie"!

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Geoff, thanks for the suggestions, I have not sorted this out completely, but definitely a donations link has to be a part of our future. The economic downturn really hurt, and losing our main sponsor was the biggest thing to damage the forum. I do not know how many people truly love HTG now, and consider it an important part of their lives. I guess we will find out. I have never asked the membership for contributions until now, but it looks like it's got to be a part of our future now. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, but as soon as time allows, I will begin to set things up. First we'll try voluntary contribs, and if that doesn't get it, we may have to go to membership based. I hate to do that, because I have seen situations like that take a forum downhill before.

I am open to any suggestions, even from people that run forums, how they survive. Thank you for taking the time to respond with suggestions. :-)

Doug
                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"