Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Spam PM from numnuts

Just received this from "tonyxx":

Compliment of the season,

This message might meet you in utmost surprise however,it's just my urgent
    need for a foreign partner that made me contacted you for a one on one transaction business.

My names are Mr.Anthony Adams Sidibe,I am a Banker by profession from (LOME, THE CAPITAL CITY OF THE REPUBLIC OF TOGO) ,am currently holding the post of auditing general in our Bank the (AIB), I discoverd this deposit in our auditing course.

I have the opportunity of transfering the left over funds (USD$28.5, Million United State Dollars) Belonging to one of our deceased client,He is a national of Kazakhstan from Karagandy, who died in the sharter plane which crashed on mount kenyan in the kenyan city of sumburu on the 21st july,2003 to any of your foreign bank account, You can confirm the genuiness of the deceased death by clicking on this website : URL removed

Hence,i am inviting you for a business deal where this funds (USD$28.5, Million United State Dollars) can be shared between us in the ratio of 60% & 40%, if you agree to my business proposal by accepting to be the next of kin of the deceased,i will out of my position here in (AIB) as a prestige, issue you an application letter or an introduction for the fund claiming which you will sign and send to (AIB). Eagerly waiting for your urgent response please.because i have every legal document file backup for the fund claiming.

I have the Air manifest, every of his withdrawal questionnaire & i filed all in my own house, the duration is close for expiration and the AIB board authorities are hoping to share amongst the heads after the fund is declared confiscated, so we need to work together and act fast.I shall give you the more details upon your reply.

Contact information removed

Please this is my personal email address Removed as you contact me for more details.
    -Chuck
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

No kidding? I actually haven't heard of a nummnuts PM'ing spam before. Wonder why he would do that specifically to you, Chuck.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

Yeah I hadn't heard of it either. Maybe it's legit! Woo hoo $28,000,000 here I come!
      -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Alaric PMed me that he received it too. It just so happens I enabled PMs for suspicious users a couple weeks ago so that Doug could contact one as a possible sponsor. Go figure that someone would promptly abuse that privilege.

My anti-spam script doesn't handle PM spam either. I'll have to submit this one manually.

I removed the contact info from this post since we don't want the spammer to benefit from what he did in any way.

I participate on Stop Forum Spam's forum and some members have mentioned PM spam in the past, but I never knew what purpose it would serve, since forum spammers are usually in it to boost search engine rankings for sites. I guess we know now...they send out stupid phishing scams like they do in email.

As for who they chose to target, maybe they targeted the "Who's Online" list at the time or something. I'll have to run a database query to see who else was hit with this. EDIT: Looks like he targeted 8 or 9 users with it. What's funny is it looks like he sent it to himself 3 times as well. I guess PM spammers are just as retarded as the rest of them. :rofl:

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

My script handles PM spam now. In addition to submitting the last PM as evidence, it will purge all PMs sent by the nummnuts when they go into the dungeon.

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Nice job Kevin! It's still hilarious to me that the numbnuts can't even remotely sound legitimate. "My compliment of the season!" :rofl:
              -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

In short, the Rules of Spam are:

Rule #0: Spam is theft.
                Rule #1: Spammers lie.
                Rule #2: If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see Rule #1.
                Rule #3: Spammers are stupid. <<--My personal favorite
                Rule #4: The natural course of a spamming business is to go bankrupt.

In more detail, go here: http://bruce.pennypacker.org/2005/02...rules-of-spam/

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

I was just checking the database for nummnuts with sent PMs and found one from 2008! They sent it to 29 users, don't know who offhand without doing more queries, but it's interesting that no one reported it.

The nummnuts in question was in the dungeon so it probably posted something or had signature links and this was before I started archiving that information.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Anthony Adams Sidibe is obviously an honest chap who simply wants to do the decent thing with that USD$28.5m. I can't believe that my fellow HTG members are so distrusting.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"