X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

New HTG dedicated server operational!

Please offer a big round of applause for Kevin's efforts to get us up and running on a new server. We had "a bad experience" trying to find a shared hosting solution for our forum. We thought it could work, Kevin and I tried it, and it was so horrible as a test, we came running back to our long time service provider and cut a deal to cut over to a new server. As one of their oldest customers, they were glad to see us stay.

We may have gained some real performance gains from the change. Our server was pretty old in today's terms, so moving to new hardware can be a big positive.

Let Kevin know what a bang up job he's doing on this process! I really appreciate it!

Thanks Kevin!
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Yep, the new server should at least feel faster than the old one. Its CPU isn't much faster (it's an Intel Atom while the old had dual Pentium 4s), but it does have an SSD instead of platter hard drives, and it's also on a 100 megabit network connection instead of 10. Bear in mind we were barely scratching the surface of our old server's capacity.

But most importantly, it's running an updated Linux OS and server software that is supported with updates and patches, so the security issues we had with the old server (such as hackers putting phishing sites up) should be a thing of the past now.

The old server is about 8 years old, geriatric by computer standards. I think a couple years ago they replaced everything except the hard drives due to a spontaneous rebooting issue, so really only the hard drives were that old. I didn't want to have one crap out on us. But the updated software is the biggest benefit to us, especially from a security standpoint.

One nice benefit to the SSD is I can do a "hot backup" of the database in less than a minute! No more timeouts on early Sunday mornings while the backup was running. Hot backups will run nightly and weekly dumps and offline backups will be taken from the hot backup, so there should be next to zero downtime during backup times.

Our DNS is still being resolved by the old server, until we have the provider move our remaining IPs to the new server. I'm thinking of Friday to do this. Once that happens, we can be off the old one completely.

Comment

• cuda65
      • Feb 2005

Kevin: Thanks so much for all you do.
      Doug

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

It was a judgement call, we did have a good server. But the security issues, and recent "hack" we experienced, along with concerns about the aging drives, aging OS, and all, were a good reason to update. I saved a nominal amount of money, not a big thing, but a little with the economy server. If we maintain the performance we had, and gain security advantages, then it's a positive move I think.

I think Kevin will concur, that the SSD drive and the increased bandwidth port, will probably mean improved performance regardless of any processor differences. That's because more of what we do is really not CPU intensive anyway. It's really about the throughput path.

doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Good job Kevin!
          arty:
          -Chuck

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Good news!
            Hopefully, it will ease Kevin's workload tracking down and 'whacking' all those nimrod spammers!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
              Good news!
              Hopefully, it will ease Kevin's workload tracking down and 'whacking' all those nimrod spammers!
              :lol: I wish. I already have the forum anti-spam working pretty much at its peak already.

The security enhancements are more on the server itself. Some nummnuts managed to get in and use our server for their nefarious deeds. I locked things down but having something more up to date that I can keep patched as holes are found will help keep them out now.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Does this mean more spare time for our resident "Spaminator"? Well done Kevin :T
                Jason

Comment

• Stoney
                  • Dec 2004

The site seems significantly quicker to me. :T
                  Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                  Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                  B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                  DM602 S2 Surrounds
                  DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                  CC6 S2 Center.
                  ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

It does seem quite "zippy".

Like.. "click" and "bang" you're there :T
                    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

It's probably the 100Mbps link + the SSD storage you're seeing. It does make the site snappier, not that it was slow before.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Wait... I thought this was a dial-up modem Bulletin Board? This "server" concept that you speak of... very interesting. Perhaps we can careate some sort of global "interweb" thing, where computers talk to each other over datalink. Perhaps I'll talk to Al Gore about that idea.

Really great job, Kev. Maybe it's just me, but it does in fact seem to be faster to me, to jump around the sub-forums, and particularly when opening threads with pictures in them. :T :T :T
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Oh come on, Chris......

Next thing you know, you will be saying cables make a difference. :W
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Well, with some poking and prodding of the service provider, we got the remaining IPs (and thus DNS) up on the new server. There may have been an outage (DNS resolution) for a little while since it took a while. But it's all done now, and we are now "off" the old server completely!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"