X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

New member Sign-ons with Hotmail or MSN

If you sign on with hotmail or MSN, you may not receive your registration email from htguide.com. This is a known issue and unfortunately will not get much better in the future as the problem is, hotmail or MSN is catagorizing our server mail as spam.

We suggest you do not use hotmail. Since MSN is a ISP email, we will work with you if you have msn. the problem is though, if you email us, and we respond back, you likely won't get that email either.

We will email from an alternate account, hopefully that will work, but again, we won't support hotmail from here on out. Will will only support MSN if it's your ISP email. Otherwise, please use your ISP main mail. We do not spam you if that is your worry. Nor do we sell email addresses.

thanks.
    Admins
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

In my experience, when I email a hotmail user directly from the htguide.com webmail it goes through fine. They just block the emails generated by vBulletin.

Usually the sequence of events goes like this: they register, they don't receive their email. They email us via the "Contact Us" link. I resend their activation email AND I reply to the email they sent. They still don't receive the activation email but they do get my reply, even though they both come from the same address and the same server IP. They reply back saying they still didn't get their activation email, and then I go in and manually activate them. The manual back-and-forth emailing confirms their address is valid, and I go in and activate them.

So whatever Hotmail is doing is content based, since I made sure the server is configured correctly for sending email and no properly configured spam filter should be blocking us. But this is Mickeysoft we're talking about...

Also, they don't block ALL our activation emails. One time I registered a hotmail account and then registered an account here with it, and the email went through fine.

Also, I think Hotmail has an option to only allow emails from addresses that are in your contact list. Maybe it's people using that feature that aren't getting our emails. I'll look into changing the registration page to remind users to do this.

EDIT: I added this to the registration page, where you enter the email address:
    Please enter a valid email address. The board will send an activation email to this address, which you must be able to receive before you can post on the forum.

If you don't receive this email in a timely fashion, check any spam, bulk, or junk mail folders in your email account, in case the activation email ends up there.

ATTENTION MSN/HOTMAIL USERS: MSN and Hotmail may block emails from our server, preventing you from receiving our activation email. Please use a different email provider if possible. Otherwise, make sure to add "forum at this domain" (edited here) to your Safe Senders list.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

if you are happy with that for now Kev, we can move this page to admin area, or delete, maybe keep as record though. I just don't want to create a lot of extra effort that can be easily overcome by members simply using their ISP email to register.

The problem of course is linebacker mentality that comes into play, basically nobody reads anything, and think it's all automatic. They are just waiting to tackle somebody. :-) Not saying everyone is this way, but some are.

thanks a lot.
      Doug

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Huh... I've used MSN for some time now, haven't had a problem.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

it's new member sign on's Chris.
          Doug

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

Guys are normal users meant to be able to see this section?

Fish

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Yes, this section is public. It's supposed to be for posting technical issues/questions regarding the forum itself.

I could tell you about our private area, but then I'd have to kill you.

Comment

• Fishy
                • Jul 2004

Dont worry I have my own private section (on my forums )

Fish

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"