This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bam!
    replied
    Ah, since I did not build a staggered stud wall...that would be why there is no info! :LOL: Nonetheless, that is a great diagram Sonnie by boy!
    You`re right E..you didn`t use staggered joists...hence no info ops:

What are your concerns, if any, for sound isoloation for your theater Levesque?
    So Levesque...What are your concerns...and where are you bud?

Bam!

Leave a comment:

• efarstad
    replied
    Ah, since I did not build a staggered stud wall...that would be why there is no info! :LOL: Nonetheless, that is a great diagram Sonnie by boy!

But unless Levesque is interested in sound isololation, it is not necessary.

What are your concerns, if any, for sound isoloation for your theater Levesque?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Leave a comment:

• Sonnie Parker
    replied
    I think BAM is referring to the staggered studding.

Here's an example that Ken Bruce provided me... maybe it will help:

Here's an actual pic from my construction:

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Leave a comment:

• efarstad
    replied
    Bam
    I checked out E`s web

page but I didn`t quite get enough info for him....
    Not sure what you're referring to buddy...what can I help with?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Leave a comment:

• efarstad
    replied
    Congrats on getting started!

First thing, what are the dimensions of your room? Frequency response will vary GREATLY by just these three dimensions alone and whether or not you have a floated wood floor. For if your room is optimal without the wood floor, creating one, COULD play havoc on your acoustics. So just because it worked or you see it done, does not mean it's for you per se.

Also no matter whether you have speakers behind, or below a screen, if the room is not designed for optimal acoustical performance, while changing placement can and does improve performance...the room will play the biggest factor.

Many like the "hidden" speaker look, while others like everything seen...that my friend is your call...because a theater and speaker placement can be made to sound good...based on what YOU like and desire, not what others say is "best!" If I have any advice, this is it: DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! Learn and take advice from others, but this is your theater and it should be custom to you and noone else!

You've received some good advice so far from fine folks above, so I don't have much more to add than I already have...other than, do take the time to make your room, the most important component! All the money in the world in equipment will NOT make a bad acoustically designed room sound good.

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Leave a comment:

• Bam!
    replied
    hey guys!

the knowledge of you guys...impressive :yesnod:

I have been in contact with Levesque for a week or so and his questions I must say are pretty good!

Another question he had...I don`t know why it wasn`t mentioned was on staggered joists...

I checked out E`s web

page but I didn`t quite get enough info for him....

Thanks guys you rock :-y

Bam!

Leave a comment:

• Sonnie Parker
    replied
    Good to hear you are getting started Alain.

I think Chris hit on everything pretty well.

A couple of things that I would investigate heavily:

Floor. Should I go with a thick carpet directly over the concrete, or should I use a wood floor with carpeting on it? Will use 2 subs, a Paradigm Servo-15 and a new Signature Servo.
    I was reading somewhere in one of the forums about a fellow who was not too well pleased with his framed floor above his concrete slab. If I remember correctly it created some serious boominess in his bass. He supposedly did everything that was suggested but it just didn't turn out right for him. I'd investigate that option thuroughly. I have a slab as well and simply installed 8lb (a little thicker than normal) padding with carpet. Haven't had any problems except that my rear wall area is a little bass heavy although that is above my framed riser I can't say that it has anything to do with it. I think I've solved the problem anyway. I just replaced three of my chairs for reliners and also pulled the other 3 recliners out from the rear wall a little more than they were. The combination of changes has improved the bass heaviness to where it is not nearly as noticeable. I think that with a little BFD tuning I can live with it very happily.

I'm not saying don't frame your floor I'm just saying investigate it well with some people who have done it with success in a similar room as your are constructing. Maybe Chris or some others can give you more heads up on this.

My center is a Paradigm Signature C5 (what a beast!) with the Premier stand. Should I put in on the stage in front of the (16:9 120" diagonal) screen or go with a perforated (ceiling is at 12 feet, so I can fit the C5 in fornt of it on the stage)?
    I placed my center on the floor in the wee early stages of moving my stuff into our new room just so I could get it all hooked up. My mains have their tweeters at about 36" off the floor. I noticed when I first listened the dialogue and panning from left to right didn't sound right and didn't blend well. Granted everything wasn't set up completely but I could still notice something wasn't right. Once I stacked my equipment and then placed the center atop the equipment it sounded like it was supposed to. I guess what I'm getting at is consider keeping your center at the same level as your mains. Placing it in the center of your screen might be too high above your mains for proper dialogue and blending. Maybe you can experiment with placement prior to ordering your screen.

For my bass traps, like usual, everyone don't have a clue what fiberglass no. 703 is. Is there another way to identify this kind of fiberglass, like another part number or name?
    As far as bass traps I don't think 7lb per cubic foot fiberglass is going to do you much good. Basically that stuff works for absorbtion of about 100-125hz and higher. It works great for first reflections from your mains but I'm not so sure if it would be any benefit for your bass. My research on bass traps led me to entire walls being used to trap the very lowest frequencies.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Leave a comment:

• aud19
    replied
    Quote:
    My center is a Paradigm Signature C5 (what a beast!) with the Premier stand. Should I put in on the stage in front of the (16:9 120" diagonal) screen or go with a perforated (ceiling is at 12 feet, so I can fit the C5 in fornt of it on the stage)?

I'm one of those people who highly advocate a perforated screen for proper sound imaging. Placing your center precisely in the middle of your screen makes all sound come right from that point, adding to the realism of hearing sounds, especially dialogue, come right from the person or object on the screen that is making the sound. Perforated screens also clean up the stage, so that you don't see the speaker(s) The downside is the extra cost.
    I'll just add that whichever route you take you'll likley want all three front speakers behind the screen or none at all. Otherise you'll end up with a "muted" centre speaker.

Speakers at eye/ear level is the way to go if you can, it's not always possible though considering they're also all supposed to be the same distance away from the prime listening position. Sometimes that requires additional height...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide

Leave a comment:

• Chris D
    replied
    Congrats, dude. Here's my input on your questions:

Originally posted by levesque
    Floor. Should I go with a thick carpet directly over the concrete, or should I use a wood floor with carpeting on it?
    For sound isolation purposes as well as heat transfer, I would recommend the best option of building a framed floor stuffed with insulation that you would then put plywood topfloor and carpet upon. But yes, if it comes down to money, size, convenience, or whatever, and you need to compromise, you can put it on the concrete itself.

The stage. 2 steps. Should I fill it with sand or concrete?
    If this room sits directly on concrete foundation, then fill it with sand. If weight is an issue, then go with fiberglass insulation instead. Concrete isn't necessary. The best step-by-step instructions I've ever read for constructing a stage were by Dennis Erskine in Home Theater Builder Magazine. (July 2003 issue, I think?) I'm also showing stage and riser construction in my article in the next Home Theater Builder Magazine issue, which I think will be April 2004.

Newbie question. My rack will be on the back wall. What am I suppose to do and use to use the equipment w/o standing-up to point at the equipment. Told you I was a newb! :LOL:
    No problem, if we never learned how, then how would we ever be able to accomplish things or teach others???!!! A couple things you could do here--the 100% solution is to run either an IR repeating cabling system based on something like Xantech's IR distribution, or a control network, like Crestron. Me, I'm using Xantech's IR distribution, which comes down to an IR receiver that you place hidden near your screen, a distribution block that takes the IR receiver and then sends it out to other repeaters, multiple IR flashers that re-distribute an IR signal to your various equipment components, and a bunch of wires to connect all the components. I think my IR system cost me maybe $200-250, and it's all hidden in the walls and my equipment rack, so it's very functional and clean. Then you just point your remote at the screen, and can control all other equipment in the room reliably without having to turn.

I'm one of those people who highly advocate a perforated screen for proper sound imaging. Placing your center precisely in the middle of your screen makes all sound come right from that point, adding to the realism of hearing sounds, especially dialogue, come right from the person or object on the screen that is making the sound. Perforated screens also clean up the stage, so that you don't see the speaker(s) The downside is the extra cost.

I finally went with a DLP projector, the Toshiba MT800, with a Da-Lite high-power screen. Should I celing mount it or put it on the back wall? My room is 24 feet deep...
    Sweet, dude. I would say yes, you'll want to ceiling mount. Check the projector info for proper throw distances to see what range of distances your projector will need to be mounted from the screen. Almost certainly, though, for your size screen you'll have to be closer than the 24' back wall.

Another quickie. My mains are Paradigm S8.Should I try to have the tweeters at the same level that the C5 will be?
    Ideal speaker placement puts tweeters at the viewer's eye level, for front mains and centers, so yes. This isn't always possible, though.

For my bass traps, like usual, everyone don't have a clue what fiberglass no. 703 is. Is there another way to identify this kind of fiberglass, like another part number or name?
    You got me there.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"

Leave a comment:

• Bam!
    replied
    hey Levesque!!!!

I am so glad that you decided to post here...you will see that these guys will have the answer!

Good move

Bam!

Leave a comment:

• LEVESQUE
    started a topic Building HT need advices

Building HT need advices

The walls are done, new living room with a view is done. Now attacking the dedicated HT.

Floor. Should I go with a thick carpet directly over the concrete, or should I use a wood floor with carpeting on it? Will use 2 subs, a Paradigm Servo-15 and a new Signature Servo.

The stage. 2 steps. Should I fill it with sand or concrete?

Newbie question. My rack will be on the back wall. What am I suppose to do and use to use the equipment w/o standing-up to point at the equipment. Told you I was a newb! :LOL:

I finally went with a DLP projector, the Toshiba MT800, with a Da-Lite high-power screen. Should I celing mount it or put it on the back wall? My room is 24 feet deep...

Another quickie. My mains are Paradigm S8.Should I try to have the tweeters at the same level that the C5 will be?

My biggest problem now is the floor. Directly on concrete or wood floor?

All advices are welcome! Thank you!
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"