This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seattle_ice
    • Jun 2006

The time between the last post and now has been occupied, partially by a trip to Montana to see the inlaws.

For my birthday, I got my first piece of Theater art in the form of a poster:

Image not available

View from the In-laws place in Polson. Looking out at Flathead Lake:

Image not available

Glacier Park @ 7000 ft (Peak is almost 10,000 ft.):

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 20:37 Monday. Reason: Update image location
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• seattle_ice
      • Jun 2006

The next task was to finish my screen and get it all mounted.

I finished the actual display surface earlier in the thread. I used dowels to locate it so you can take it down if you want to get to the speakers, or fix it.

The green tape is just to hold the loose edges from flapping around. You can see the holes where the dowels are, and the holes for the mounting screws. I like using the dowels as the slight friction fit ensures that the screen goes in exactly the place it is supposed to, and doesn't shrink over time from the tension.

Image not available

So after putting the screen up, I needed to make a dark frame for it. I decided to use a common 3-1/4" mdf baseboard molding for the frame.

After messing with the projector for a couple hours, until I was completely satisfied with the exact location on the screen, I miter cut a frame from the molding that was just slightly (1/16") smaller than the picture in both directions. This was so there would be no white screen showing at all.

Then, while holding the frame pieces in place, I drilled 1/4" holes through the frame and into the screen frame for wood dowels. I used about 8 each on the top and bottom, and 5 or so on the sides. I then glued the dowels in place on the frame, flush with the modling face and sticking out the back, and let them dry.

Image not available

The screen material is the AT Screen from SeymourAV and the velvet was the velvet they recommend in the DIY section on their website.

I used spray contact adhesive to apply the velvet to the trim.

1. Spray the front of the trim, wait a minute.
      2. Apply one end of the velvet, stretch and apply other end, then smooth the whole face.
      3. Flip it over, and spray adhesive to the back of trim and the rest of velvet.
      4. Pull velvet tight, press into cement, trim ends and edges.

It came out very, very well. Here are the top and bottom, ready to assemble:

Image not available
      Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 20:37 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• seattle_ice
        • Jun 2006

I got the screen frame assembled in my piano room, with the dowels glued in place, and small corner brackets attached. I only used the small corner brackets to control the depth of the pieces, so that the corners remain in the same plane, since the dowels would control the placement.

Image not available

And the velvet close up - it is much darker when the flash is not lighting it up:

Image not available

When you stand back and look from a distance, the edge almost just disappears it is so dark.

Image not available

Perfect. I remeasured, and every measurement on the screen and the frame is within 1/16" of an inch or less.

Comment

• NoDestiny
          • Jan 2009

Hey this is a great build! Props on the work! Keep it up!!!

Comment

• seattle_ice
            • Jun 2006

My carpet showed up at the store today, so now I just got to pick it up, get the pad, and get it installed.

That will be right after I finish the current project - the Candy Counter!

I am making a small built in cabinet in the corner that will house a fridge, a microwave, some shelves and the lighted candy display.

I got the rough cabinet built and set near where it is going to be installed. There is still a lot of molding that has to go on it, the back door for the candy area has to be installed, and then it has to be finished.

Image not available

Close up of the top (I used veneered lumber so I can stain it and some thick Spar varnish)

Image not available

And a shot of the backside, where there are some shelves:

Image not available

The whole thing will get painted the dark brown like the rest of the woodwork. Then I will install some glass, and some shelves, and some empty (model) candy boxes.
            Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 20:38 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Wow, fantastic, it's great to see you going all-out with the details.

Just because you're not getting a lot of replies every time, don't think that we're not reading all this and following along! Keep it up!
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yes I check every time I see a post!

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Wow, Amazing House and Theater build! I just discovered this thread and it's very interesting to see all the details of your home and theater construction. Thank for sharing. Oh, and that's a beautiful house! :T

I've been to Glacier National Park. It's really beautiful up there. Nice camp grounds too.
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• seattle_ice
                    • Jun 2006

The glass for my candy counter showed up today. So I went and got it, and put it in. I still have to get a couple shelves for inside to hold the candy, but no hurry.

The candy counter looks like this:

Image not available

Image not available

With the inside light on:

Image not available

Image not available

I did most of it in cherry and cherry veneer, and some mdf with a faux finish.
                    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 20:38 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

That looks great! I like it a lot :B

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Very nice! :T
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• seattle_ice
                          • Jun 2006

Here are some pics as I add more accessories and work on getting the final touches in the theater.

Corner display case with some collectibles - a first edition Star Trek plate, a 1969 Seattle Worlds Fair Jim Beam bottle and a first run Mickey Mouse pez dispenser are some of the highlights.

Image not available

A picture showing the column with my surround speaker built in, the display case, my M8Ta speakers and the corner of the candy counter. This is the view from up on the platform looking dead right from the back seating area.

Image not available

How the screen looks from the middle seating area:

Image not available

And a closeup look at the ceiling being lit up by the hidden rope lights behind the crown molding:

Image not available

Comment

• RubberDucky
                            • Sep 2009

Wow. This is amazing.

When can I come over?

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                              • Oct 2009

Good Lord You Should Charge Admission

This is really well documented. I really enjoyed reading through this thread. Have you watched the new "Star Trek" on Blue Ray in your theatre(I think your's deserves the English spelling). Lot of work thanks for the good ideas.
                              "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                              -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• johngalt47
                                • Apr 2007

What happened to this thread?

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Well, my guess is Seattle Ice finished his theater, and is now loving every minute of use in it! 6 years back.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by johngalt47
                                    What happened to this thread?
                                    We picked up some used black leather theater seating for the first row, and a brown leather couch for the second row, then I made a bar table from some bowling alleys we salvaged from the Philippines that are made from apitong, and set three benches at it, so our theater seats 7 comfortably, and three more on the bar seats.

We now have 3000 hours on the projector, and it has been all that, and more. Our Superbowl viewing party here in Seattle was absolutely insane on that 110" screen, and the sub woofers are phenomenal.

With four 18" subs, the couches literally shake you at times, and yet you can barely even see them moving. This project is definitely one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. We have family movie nights every couple weeks, and I have seen my brother and his family more since I got the theater than the previous ten years combined.

And the NatalieP in wall speakers are very good for this application. You can really hear voices very well and speech is very distinct and understandable.

Oh, and I have played some games on the XBox360 and the PS3, and if I sit in the front row, I tend to get motion sickness from the ginormous screen moving around so much!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Glad it turned out well. Enjoy!
                                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"