Been looking to minimize my electrical needs, so looking at a new server/firewall box

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Been looking to minimize my electrical needs, so looking at a new server/firewall box

As I stated I've been looking to shrink my power needs even more, a while back I started working on a new HTPC (which also might get an update later as I'm still not happy with it completely) to shrink my power usage as technology has gotten a lot better and I don't need huge power drawing systems to do the same thins. Also the savings on my power bill are certainly welcomed.

Currently I have a 20 bay Norco case running dual Opteron 4 core CPU's on a server grade motherboard with a 700 watt PSU. It's loud, and it definitely eats up power. My firewall box is a blade server that runs a celeron server grade platform, again it's loud and it gets pretty hot and uses a lot of power. The firewall box currently runs Untangly but I think I'll switch to PFsense when I migrate.

So I'm looking to shrink these things down, my current list is located here. It's a Mini-ITX platform, with a nice Mini-ITX case that'll hold 7 3.5" drives and 1 2.5" drive all at the same time. The motherboard has 7 SATA ports as well and I'll likely use a high speed USB device for the OS. Also adding a dual intel based NIC that will give me better throughput and reliability. This should more than cut my energy usage on my network equipment in half I believe.

Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"