X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by madmac
    You should still be able to find a few Plasma's around no??
    Nothing that isn't a floor demo (and they've been constantly on for 2 or more years).

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
      I sympathize with your sentiment. As we get more and more technology options it gets overwhelming. Seems 1000 choices, more often than not, just means 999 ways to get it wrong.
      Yep. Used to be simple--walk in, "what's the best Sony I can buy for X$", walk out. Not anymore.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

A lot of the problem is specialization. X inches of screen size for Y feet of viewing distance x resolution divided by display type (LED, LCD,plasma, etc.) I did some work for a friend recently and he asked how I wanted to get paid. I jokingly said a TV would be nice and he said "Let's go to Best Buy". I just went to the size (roughly) I needed and watched the TVs for a while. I finally settled on a picture (1080p), verified it had HDMI in and wasn't some off brand Chinese junk (Toshiba) and went home with it. I'm now using my last years' model 43" 1080p as a monitor and TV and I'm quite happy. And the darn thing was only $243, with an acceptable 8 ms response time so it's suitable for gaming. It lacks a lot of inputs and has no outputs but I didn't need any of that. My PC handles everything including audio out to my stereo. :T
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
          A lot of the problem is specialization. X inches of screen size for Y feet of viewing distance x resolution divided by display type (LED, LCD,plasma, etc.) I did some work for a friend recently and he asked how I wanted to get paid. I jokingly said a TV would be nice and he said "Let's go to Best Buy". I just went to the size (roughly) I needed and watched the TVs for a while. I finally settled on a picture (1080p), verified it had HDMI in and wasn't some off brand Chinese junk (Toshiba) and went home with it. I'm now using my last years' model 43" 1080p as a monitor and TV and I'm quite happy. And the darn thing was only $243, with an acceptable 8 ms response time so it's suitable for gaming. It lacks a lot of inputs and has no outputs but I didn't need any of that. My PC handles everything including audio out to my stereo. :T
          True enough. Another danger is reading too much info on fora like this one (especially those more strongly devoted to video tech like AVS). Eventually, every possible flaw it could have is described in excruciating detail and it seems like no TV will be worth getting. I'll admit to being a bit guilty of "over-research" (occupational hazard--research is at the heart of my profession). When I was shopping for my PJ (I still remember that like it was yesterday--hard to believe my son wasn't yet 2 years old--he'll be 11 soon), I fell into that trap and, even after I made my choice, for the first month I watched it like a hawk and saw all sorts of "imperfections"--nearly returned it once or twice. Eventually, I let go, started appreciating that I had something far more spectacular than I'd ever had before (went from a 32" SD CRT to 64" 720p--was a big deal back then), started watching movies (instead of display tech) and had a nice long run of fun. I have the same issue with audio gear (where I am, admittedly, much more difficult to please). Usually takes me a month to go from listening to the gear to listening to the music. I'm sure it'll be the same again. The one difference is the unplanned nature of the upgrade. Every major A/V purchase I've ever made, going back to the 80s in university, was done on my schedule, not out of happenstance. I like to keep my gear until it stops working (my speakers are 12 years old, my living room AVR is 12 years old--only upgraded to get HDMI, my laptop is 7 years old, I still use my 12 year old SACD/DVD-A player in the living room...you get the idea). I usually try to time my purchases so I'm at the early mature stage of any tech--I let others be the early adopters--but not so mature that I'll be way behind the next curve. This time, I think I'm in the trough. Either I go with 4K/HDR earlier than I would have and deal with "growing pains" (I usually try to avoid) OR I make a horizontal(ish) move and just get another PJ (1080p, though) and stay behind the curve longer than I usually do. In the grand scheme, this is a foolish "problem", I suppose, but it's there nonetheless.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Not really foolish. You work hard and want to spend the money on things that please you. Makes sense to me. My speakers, amp, and SACD player are the same ones I had when I signed up here (10+ years ago God help me. ) I went through the whole "bang per buck" search and obsessed over every little reported and reviewed idiosyncrasy until my head hurt. It turned out to be fairly simple when I stopped running in circles. Very detailed speakers + musical amp with a fat Class A setting= happiness for me. The synergy between the SACD and the amp was built in being from the same manufacturer, and I got lucky. My amp and SACD were nearing EOL but were both SQ/value giants. Well, taller than average $500 amp. The SACD is still very good. LOL. Same with my speakers. ( I signed on for the speakers when I discovered Kal Rubinson chose them for his home theater). Now Marantz and Paradigm don't make anything close to my stuff for what I paid. Happy camper.

It seems when we have the money, we can't decide which of the many good things we want. When we don't have the money, we can't decide which of the affordable things is best. First world problems. Thank God.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
              True enough. Another danger is reading too much info on fora like this one (especially those more strongly devoted to video tech like AVS). Eventually, every possible flaw it could have is described in excruciating detail and it seems like no TV will be worth getting. I'll admit to being a bit guilty of "over-research" (occupational hazard--research is at the heart of my profession). When I was shopping for my PJ (I still remember that like it was yesterday--hard to believe my son wasn't yet 2 years old--he'll be 11 soon), I fell into that trap and, even after I made my choice, for the first month I watched it like a hawk and saw all sorts of "imperfections"--nearly returned it once or twice. Eventually, I let go, started appreciating that I had something far more spectacular than I'd ever had before (went from a 32" SD CRT to 64" 720p--was a big deal back then), started watching movies (instead of display tech) and had a nice long run of fun. I have the same issue with audio gear (where I am, admittedly, much more difficult to please). Usually takes me a month to go from listening to the gear to listening to the music. I'm sure it'll be the same again. The one difference is the unplanned nature of the upgrade. Every major A/V purchase I've ever made, going back to the 80s in university, was done on my schedule, not out of happenstance. I like to keep my gear until it stops working (my speakers are 12 years old, my living room AVR is 12 years old--only upgraded to get HDMI, my laptop is 7 years old, I still use my 12 year old SACD/DVD-A player in the living room...you get the idea). I usually try to time my purchases so I'm at the early mature stage of any tech--I let others be the early adopters--but not so mature that I'll be way behind the next curve. This time, I think I'm in the trough. Either I go with 4K/HDR earlier than I would have and deal with "growing pains" (I usually try to avoid) OR I make a horizontal(ish) move and just get another PJ (1080p, though) and stay behind the curve longer than I usually do. In the grand scheme, this is a foolish "problem", I suppose, but it's there nonetheless.
              Ovation........you just described ME !!! I'm right there with ya' !!!
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Made my choice. I'm going to get another projector. Found an excellent deal on an Epson 5030ub with a free extra bulb. MSRP would be 3100$ CDN with the bulb but it comes to 2100$. Taxes are extra, but I can stretch that far. Will get a bigger screen (still small for a PJ but at least 72", possibly 80")--it'll just wait until next year. Won't be 4K/HDR but then again, I won't have to upgrade any other gear--4K would need new DVR, AVR, UHD disc player, 4K Netflix subscription and new HDMI cables to fully implement. Here I'm just swapping out one projector for another. Easy peasy.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

sounds like a V good solution till the 4k stuff is affordable to those of us who are not early adopters (only due to the cost )
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

What he said ^^^

Congrats :T :banana:
                    Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      sounds like a V good solution till the 4k stuff is affordable to those of us who are not early adopters (only due to the cost )
                      True. Though I do like to wait until the 2nd gen of new technology--HDR/Dolby Vision is still brand new.

Originally posted by aud19
                      What he said ^^^

Congrats :T :banana:
                      Thanks. Won't be until after vacation but I'm looking forward to movies on a screen bigger than 22". :T

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                        I know that feeling. LOL. If my current TV hadn't been free I'd still be using a 19" computer monitor.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Nice surprise when I placed my order for the projector today. I'd calculated full taxes into my cost, but as the dealer is in Ontario and I live in Quebec, I'm only being charged GST (5%) rather than the combined GST/PST(Quebec), which is 14.975% (the government is very keen to keep it under the symbolic 15% threshold :roll: ). Unexpected savings of about 220$. Yay!

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

uggghh NVM
                            Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

????

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Just posted in wrong thread :lol:
                                Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

NVM:

Non-Volatile Memory
                                  Never Mind
                                  Night Vision Monocular
                                  Not Very Much (chat)
                                  National Volcanic Monument
                                  NewVoiceMedia (Hampshire, England)
                                  Nonvolatile Matter
                                  Network Virtual Memory
                                  Network Virtual Machine
                                  Not Very Mature
                                  Not Very Manly
                                  New Vision Mortgage, LLC
                                  New Vessels Ministries (Muncie, IN)
                                  Nascere Vivere Morire (Italian: Born Living Dying)
                                  Network and Voice Management (CA Technologies)
                                  Node Version Manager
                                  Noe Valley Ministry (San Francisco, CA)
                                  Nordiska Veterinär Mästerskapet (Swedish: Nordic Veterinary Championship)
                                  Northwest Vision and Media (UK)
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"