X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • resperc
    • May 2004

RMB-1075 and 4 ohm speakers

I bought an RSP-1068 and an RMB-1075 in July and I am loving the sound. I am now out investigating my options in speaker upgrades. I heard the Polk LSi 9 bookshelf speaker and I was very impressed. Whenever and whatever I buy I will be getting the matching center and surrounds. The Lsi 9s are definitely on my short list, but they are rated at 4 ohms (and not very effecient - 88 db). So I would end up with 4 ohm speakers all the way around (fronts, center, rears). I know the 1075 manual says it is OK to run 4 ohm speakers, but I still have some questions for the Club Rotel members (who have helped tremendously with other topics).

Here is some background info:
    My room is 15x 17 and I sit about 10 feet from the front speakers. My current speakers have sensitivity ratings of 90-91 db. I don't think I play the system anywhere near reference levels with volume set between 50 and 58 on my 1068 while watching movies.

So here are my questions:
    1) Anyone else running 4 ohm speakers are their 1075? If yes, what?
    2) Am I going to lose any "headroom" because the amp will work harder to support the 4 ohm load?
    3) Would I be better off sticking with some 8 ohm speakers?

I think that should cover it. Feel free to add any other commentary you may feel is pertinent. I would appreicate any feedback. Thanks
  • ds22030
    • Sep 2004

I have a 1075 that drives my LSi15s. It sounds pretty good but in relatively bass integrated music, I don't think 1075 is adequate (even in bi-amped mode). That probably wont be a problem for you since LSi9s dont have the 8"woofers. As to the mids, mid bass and the highs, 1075 runs the LSi 15s fine...so you should be fine. I will be turning in my 1075 for a 1080 shortly......

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

My 1075 has being powering my 4 ohm speakers for months and its never even got warm. The 1075 will do 200 watts into 4 ohms too

Comment

• Michael Garrott
        • Jul 2004

I have recently purchased the 1068/1075 combo and have been more than happy with the sound.

Mr fronts are 8ohm Krix Esoterix Mk2's, and the rears are 4ohm Krix Lyrix.

The rears have in no way been sounding underpowered.

Comment

• myki
          • Oct 2004

My new 1075 drives 4-ohm Dynaudio Audience speakers all around perfectly. The amp barely gets warm.

Comment

• resperc
            • May 2004

Thanks for all of the advice. This is a great forum for the "Rotel faithful".

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"