X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

RSX-1056 - A review

As promised, here is a more detailed review of my RSX-1056. I've had it over two weeks, and have spent most of my free time listening to music and watching DVDS using the 1056. That's perhaps testimony enough to the overall sonic quality of the 1056 - I'd rather listen through it than spend my free time in almost (almost) any other way.

I've owned a lot of electronics over yhe last 30 years (!) in the eternal quest for sonic nirvana - Apt/Holman, Denon, Kenwood, Luxman, Sansui, Sherwood, Sony, Yamaha. Of all those and numerous other brands I have listened to in stores, the Rotel RSX-1056 comes closest to accurately and completely conveying to me the heart and soul of the artists, whether music or movies. I could talk about sonic stuff like bass, midange, treble, "black" background, accuracy, detail, soundstage, depth, authority, slam, etc. ad infinitum. IMHO, the Rotel excels in all those areas, compared to the other electronics I have heard. However, the real point is, listening through the Rotel, I hear more, I hear better, and I am more emotionally involved with the sounds on a CD or DVD when conveyed through the Rotel. Isn't that what great audio gear should do?

Having said that, here are some pluses and minuses for those more inclined to focus on features:

Looks/feel - high end, IMO.

Set up / customization: very thoughtful and complete, geared towards more prectical/useful stuff. I like the ability to custom-label the dsiplay of inputs. The flexibility in customizing settings separately for different inputs and sound modes is outstanding and really allows the user to tune things to suit their equipment and setting.

7 channel flexibility capabilities. Very intelligent - an excellent balance between features and cost. The ability to add a higher-end stereo amp, in combination with the pure bypass mode, is a great compromise between high-end two channel audio and home theater.

Phono input - None! some of us more mature audiofiles (readld farts) have hundreds of LPs, and would like to listen to them without having to buy an outboard phono preamp. This seems to go against Rotel's other audiophile leanings.

Inputs/outputs: sufficent for my needs, now or projected into the future, I do not run video through the 1056, believing a more direct path should result in a higher quality picture.

Remote - the weakest part of the Rotel package. Non-intuitive, difficult and time-consuming to set up as a multi-component controller. Also mine seems buggy - the remote doesn't register some button inputs reliably, especially the menu/setup buttons. Rotel could and should do better in this area.

In sum, I find the Rotel RSX-1056 really excels at the holy grail of being a "straight wire with gain" - it does an oustanding job conveying the whole of the musical instruments and sonic effects (individually and together) and the artists' performances, both in music and movies. As a home theater controller it is very well thought out overall. Sure, you could spend much more, but at anywhere near this this price point, I cannot imagine you could find a more sonically involving and rewarding component.
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

Your reactions are similar to mine, though I only had a demo model home for four days. Based on my experience, I ordered a new one! :T My background has been with more expensive electronics than the Rotel (Stereo; Krell and Audio Research; HT; Denon and B&K). I was especially taken with the PL II music mode, which surprised me. A couple of years ago, I tried an Outlaw 950 for thirty days and was not particularly impressed with the feature. However, it sounded great with the Rotel and added a nice sense of ambience to two channel CDs without the artificial effects so many receivers add. The analog bypass for DVD-A/SACD really sounds great and the bass management allows effective use of the sub without compromising the sound. In sum, this is an extraordinary bargain with high end sound for very little money. This type of performance was unthinkable at this price three years ago. Next step will be a dedicated two channel amp, probably the 1080 since the guys on this forum are so positive on this model and my dealer is offering me a great price on it.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Good review Stan :T

Unfortunately I agree about the remote. I'm using my Yamaha Rav2000 Touchscreen personally. It's seems a lot of manufacturers have trouble getting remotes right though, not just Rotel. If there's one thing I hear professional equipment reviewers complain about even on otherwise stellar equipment, 9 times out of 10 it's a crappy remote... Seems most manufacturers view them as an afterthought..unfortunately I think it's a conspiracy to boost the aftermarket universal remote market :lol:

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Stan,

That is indeed a very nice review. I also have issues with my 1098 remote, I am also using my Yami RAV-2000 (Jason :T ) remote and have programmed the RR-1050 remote for redundancy purposes. Perhaps Jason is correct, the remote may in fact be an afterthought.

I wonder how much more the components would cost with an upgraded remote? The world may never know.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Bob Knarly
          • Mar 2004

I've had the 1056 for almost 2 months,I think its a pretty good unit sound wise,I've owned almost every avr from 1 to 2k.I could never give it a glowing review like the poster but it does decent in 2 ch mode other than my one ongoing problem that Rotel will hopefully(please) take care of.Unlike some I have no real problem w/remote,not the best and certainly not the worst.

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Hey Stan you tha man!

I have the 1056 too!

I like it.

However during a major tweaking process.....It never got right where we wanted it....It came within inches....but not right on sonically...

For the money...it is a no brainer....Is there better ? Yes. Are they a lot more money....uhhh yes.

I changed the power cord. I must say BIG improvement in making the amp let us say Nervous!

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Bob Knarly
              I've had the 1056 for almost 2 months,I think its a pretty good unit sound wise,I've owned almost every avr from 1 to 2k.I could never give it a glowing review like the poster but it does decent in 2 ch mode other than my one ongoing problem that Rotel will hopefully(please) take care of.Unlike some I have no real problem w/remote,not the best and certainly not the worst.
              Can't figure out why you bought the 1056 if it sounded as mediocre as you claim, given your experience with almost every avr under 2k.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                • Mar 2004

shadow,if you have heard most avrs you will know most are not too great for 2 ch music.The 1056 sounds pretty good for its price on 2ch muisic.It does lack features that many other avrs have but is better for music than most others.I bought it,I prefered it,I would change a few things if possible.

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

IMO the 1056 does very well with two channel, especially in analog out. If you want superior performance in this area, add a seperate two channel power amp for the fronts and you're good to go. BTW, I know of NO avr that excels on two channel at most any price. This is not what they were primarily designed for. I liked the Arcam 200 receiver but it is only marginally better if at all than the Rotel for two channel and far behind in every other way.

Comment

• shadow
                    • Dec 2003

I bought the 1056 in black last Friday. Rather than post a new review, I chose to post here with apologies to the original poster. My findings are necessarily preliminary since I have only had the receiver for a few days, but I did a home demo for about a week prior to deciding to purchase.

Associated Equipment: Martin Logan Aerius i, Cinema, and Axiom QS 4s speakers in a 5.1 system with dual Rocket UFW-10 subs, a Denon 2900 dvd player, and a Motorola digital cable box for HDTV.
                    My room is 17 x 13 and I listen to 50/50 music-movies.

Performance is extraordinary. The amp section drives all five speakers to loud levels with no protest. I may add a two channel amp in the future, but it is not a necessity. The sound of SACD through the analog inputs is great! It actually sounds better than the B&K 307 it replaced! The bass management on SACD makes it sound even better and makes balancing the subs (with two sub outputs on the 1056) a breeze. No hiss or noise and very good dynamics with exceptional definition on analog sources. On CD, I really like the PL II Music mode. It allows for more of a realistic surround effect without the phony sound of most AVRs, and is comparable to Logic 7 in effect. On movies the 1056 is as good as the other pre/pros I have heard, since in my experience, there is less difference in this area than with music reproduction. Without considering the price, this is a great receiver. Considering price, it is a flat out bargain!

Comparisons; I had a Lexicon DC-1. While this is an older unit not representative of current production and it has been a couple of years since I had it, I marginally prefer the DPL PL II over Logic 7 as implemented in the DC 1. Otherwise the 1056 blows the DC 1 away due to more modern features.
                    Outlaw 950- Had this on a thirty day loan about 18 months ago. Nice pre/pro with good features. Mine was a bit noisy and you could not relabel the inputs. Sound was also a bit antiseptic. Did not care much for the looks either.
                    B&K 307- More power and a little more laid back. The 1056 had clearer sound and more useful features (wish it had the bass notch filter though : ).
                    In conclusion, I prefer the 1056 over the receivers and pre/pros I have used in my home by a wide margin. I also liked it better than units I heard in the stores I visited. It has truly useful features that have direct impact on the sound, picture and convenience. About the only complaint I have is I wish the front panel display showed the surround mode in use with the larger characters rather than the tiny notation at the bottom of the display. I am very happy with it and astounded at the value it represents.

Comment

• Glen1
                      • Feb 2004

two channel persormance in ht gear

Just thought I'd throw in Primare SPA20 integrated h/t amp for quality two channel sound. :T

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                        • May 2004

Remotes in general are pretty weak across the industry. I do not use my remote that much anyways, so I happen to be one of those that does not really care what it looks like as long as it allows me to make my quick changes that I need and get back to watching my movie, or listening to my music. I am actually waiting on this product to hit the market, www.i-command.com , and I will be purchasing some of this gear to help control all of my audio system(s) :T

G.

Comment

• shadow
                          • Dec 2003

I use the HomeTheater Master MX 500. The remote that came with the Rotel appears to do everything, but it is unweildy and not as intuitive as my MX 500, which I have owned for about two years .

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"