Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustygadget
    • Sep 2020

I want to build a SWOPE HT

I’ve wanted to build my own speakers since I was in middle school, life got in the way but 30 years later I’m finally getting the time to build them and a space to put them in. I’m good with building the cabinets, solder and wiring is not a big deal my question is the BOM - specifically exact parts to buy.

For most of the Swope plans Paul has part numbers listed for each design. For the Swope Towers there is a generic parts list with only values listed for each part. I did find a couple of threads online with some part numbers but nothing definitive. How do I know what caps, resistors and inductors to pick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rustygadget
    I’ve wanted to build my own speakers since I was in middle school, life got in the way but 30 years later I’m finally getting the time to build them and a space to put them in. I’m good with building the cabinets, solder and wiring is not a big deal my question is the BOM - specifically exact parts to buy.

For most of the Swope plans Paul has part numbers listed for each design. For the Swope Towers there is a generic parts list with only values listed for each part. I did find a couple of threads online with some part numbers but nothing definitive. How do I know what caps, resistors and inductors to pick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Resistors are the easiest. Try to match the Ohm values. You may need to gang two or more in parallel to get the right value. If you want to play at elevated levels continuously, then aim for paralleling resistors with lower wattage ratings (e.g., 10W, 12W) or spend the money for higher-rated parts (e.g., 20W).

For inductors, try to match the inductance value exactly. Try to hit the listed DCR value or less. Where there is not a DCR value for the inductor, you can probably assume that an 18ga air core is adequate. Don't go for a cored inductor unless you have to (e.g., high inductance, very low DCR).

Capacitors are the most controversial. Stick with 5% tolerance or better, and you probably want a 400V-rated part or better (e.g., Solen standard caps are a good compromise between budget and quality). Caps that are in series with the driver should get more budget/attention than parts that are parallel to the driver. For my current build, I did not think twice about using Dayton parts for a 25uF parallel cap. I may decide to change that, but it was an easy place to save some money.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"