X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

New speakers in the house!!!!

Scored a pair of black Monitor Audio Bronze 5 floorstanders for 50% off (discontinued in April, making way for the new Bronze series). First floorstanders I've ever had in 40 years of buying audio gear. https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/supp...e-5g/bronze-5/ Did a quick set up (haven't dialed them in regarding final placement and so on). Initial impressions: livelier (not quite as neutral) than the PSB Imagine Bs they are replacing (moved the PSBs to my basement office space). The extra bass is quite noticeable and removes any need for a sub in the living room (which is good--no room for one). Actually smaller footprint than the stands/Imagine Bs. The treble is not "hot" or "harsh" but it is more revealing than the PSBs--my ageing, male middle-aged ears are happy with the extra detail (the crashing cymbals in Rush's YYZ are fantastic). My wife is a bit less so. It's not that they are problematic to her with everything, but rather that they don't hide imperfections in old recordings (from the 40s and 50s--Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong) that are among her favourites.

Overall, early days, but I'm very happy. Monitor Audio was always in my final two or three options when I went speaker shopping in 2004, 2012, and now. They lost out because I got better deals on the Boston Acoustics VR-M series and PSB Imagine series in previous years. This time, they were the best deal (other options were KEF and Wharfedale).
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new speakers. :T Show us some pics!

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Congratulations, but you know, I'm with Kevin, and the old internet saying, that if there aren't pictures, it isn't real! Of course, these days, half the time the pictures aren't real anymore, either!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Can I just upload a photo directly? I'm ashamed to admit I am totally inept when it comes to using photo sharing sites.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

You can upload attachments here by clicking "Go Advanced", then scroll down and click Manage Attachments.

Or you can use a photo sharing site provided they allow hotlinking (some annoyingly don't).

Comment

• r100gs
            • May 2005

Nice speakers. They should easy to drive. Pics would be nice.
            Jay

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5296.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	865681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5294.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	865680Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5297.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	865679

Here they are. In box. One just unboxed without grill. And set up in the living room (hardly an ideal placement, but it's a living room, not a dedicated listening room--and Audyssey tames the bass boost from the corner placement pretty well).

Sorry. One pic is sideways. Don't know how to fix at the moment.

Comment

• r100gs
                • May 2005

Thanks for the pics. Nice looking speaker.
                Jay

Comment

Congratulation for the new Speaker and thanks for the pic they are looking gorgeous!

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I think I might like them with the grills off more, but they look great either way. Congrats Ovation!

Doug
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"