The Satori MW19P- probably old hat for most, but new to me.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The Satori MW19P- probably old hat for most, but new to me.

This is a part I've recently acquired a pair of; I'm blaming Steve Manning on this because he knows how susceptible I am to "shiny" and I think he figured these might even top the Scanspeak Illuminators in that regard... and we both figured they might be easier to do a two way with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mw19p-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	872334Click image for larger version

Name:	mw19p-4-3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	872335

Yeah, can you believe that, I'm looking at a nominally 7" two way system... but maybe with growth potential.

I've seen a number of designs with this driver, most taking advantage of it's relatively smooth and extended response to get away with minimalist crossovers. Anyone that knows me knows that minimalist is not the direction I usually aim for... Marie Kondo would probably say I need to learn some self discipline. Is that likely to happen? I dunno.... you can put a pig in a rocket, and then technically, pigs do fly, but a pig is never a bird by any stretch.

So, the question is, does the world need anyone else taking a look at the MW19p for a new system? Maybe not... but who knows? I have some ideas...

But first the basics... gotta know what we're dealing with here. And have to see it with my own gear, in spite of the many measurements by others on the 'net.

A polar series lends perspective and gives one a more realistic idea of the workable frequency range than just an on axis measurement...

Name:	Polar 0-15-30-45 small.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	872336

I'll confess that if I'm in a bit of a hurry to get started on a design, I'll focus on the response on the 15 and 30 degree axis, because my experience is if I get that right, I'm likely to be pretty happy with how it sounds in a room.

Here's the average of 15 + 30 degrees off axis response.

Name:	15+30 AverageSmall.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	872337

Looks like something fairly easy to work with, which is undoubtedly part of this series appeal.
    Attached Files
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Distortion and impedance

One thing we can see clearly in the distortion plot is some significant resonance amplification of 2nd harmonic distortion. OTOH, resonance amplification of 3rd is nearly non-existent.

Name:	MWP19P Distortion Small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	864020

I ran an impedance plot also, and sure enough that curve is VERY flat- this usually indicates very low inductivity modulation and low IM plus low THD.

Name:	MW19P-Z.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	864021

While I wouldn't quite call this the ideal midrange driver, it clearly has some nice characteristics for operation up to 2kHz, so in the context of a two way system, or a three way with lower crossovers and a high performance tweeter, good things would be expected.

There might be several interesting ways to skin that cat... gotta think about this a bit. An MT? A super NatP? Part of a larger three way? Hmmm.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"