An interesting "budget" tweeter from SB Acoustics for hard dome fans...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

An interesting "budget" tweeter from SB Acoustics for hard dome fans...

I haven't been exactly charmed by the updates on the original RS28a, so I've been looking for alternative tweeters with good characteristics and a wallet friendly price. The SB Acoustics SB26CDC-C000-4 can be found on Madisound's new product pages, but oddly not (the last time I looked recently) on their normal product pages. It is described as an Aluminum-Ceramic composite dome and from photo's it's clear it incorporates what is usually called a phase shield (which the original RS28a and the new RSS28a also have). The intent is generally improve dispersion off axis dispersion by changing the radiating area of a dome tweeter- it can also create some resonances and artifacts in the frequency response curve. Some designs, such as the original Avalon speakers, used tweeters which had phase shields that were removed. I did tests both in the original configuration and with the phase shield removed, both in direct radiation mode and in an experimental waveguide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sb26cdc-c000-4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	872323

My testing did not have the tweeter on an infinite baffle, but on a test box that is more like what one might possibly use (it was convenient- I'd bought a couple of 0.7 cu ft Denovo test enclosures- more from that later).

I also did not take any special measured for diffraction control or felt around the tweeter. What I find happens then is that you get some stuff on axis which is literally due to the pile up form circular elements around the tweeter- these are all pretty much reflected straight forward; off axis at 15 degrees, you see a different picture...

Name:	SB26CDC on axis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	872324

Here I've assembled a composite polar plot out to 45 degrees

Name:	SB26CDC Polar.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	872325

Here's a distortion plot in direct radiator mode, 15 degrees off axis...

Name:	SB26CDC DIsto 15.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	872327

And here's a plot with the waveguide mounting (basically a straight sided waveguide with a small diffraction taper).

Name:	WPS LG-WG.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	872326

More when I get back from errands...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What about the phase shield? Or without it?

Being the curious George sort of person that I am, and as easy as it is to do with this part, removing the phase shield and investigating seemed like an easy step to take.

Name:	IMG_4249_Smll.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	864002

The on axis response looked roughly as I expected, with the upper breakup mode unmasked.

Name:	0 deg NPS.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	864004

Maybe this ceramic/aluminum composite thing works to some degree; it's certainly not looking like a typical Seas aluminum dome tweeter breakup mode.

The polar plots might be interesting, as this is where hard domes generally fall down on the off axis response when they don't use a trick like a phase shield...

Name:	NPS Polar.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	864003

This is actually pretty fair looking; possibly the shallow depression that the dome is in relative to the rest of the mounting plate has some benefits. Of course, only being a 26mm dome instead of a 29 or 30mm may be part of this too.

Just for fun I re-ran the distortion plots...

Name:	15 deg NPS Distortion.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	864005

Here the impact of resonance amplification of distortion products is quite clear for both the 2nd and 3rd harmonic- does that indicate that for the phase shield measurements they're being obscured somewhat by things that the phase shield is doing?

One last plot, in the waveguide...

Name:	NPS LG-WG.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	864006

Interesting... and suggesting that suppressing the effect of the break up resonance would be a good thing to do, if possible, at least in the case of the 2nd harmonic.

But overall I'd say it's a pretty nice tweeter for the money... worth considering for a system design.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
      • Mar 2005

Quite promising looking plots indeed and price is very affordable.
      Jon, would you have an image with that tweeter without from panel too? I assume you removed front panel to attach it to WG?
      I've been thinking about next build to take on after the OLA-WG project I'm doing for a friend. It will be an attempt to do a low budget design for a change as the last Minerva and Wavecor Ardent have been pretty much high end price wise from my perspective. Something like this in a WG might be quite usable for the ideas I have in mind.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

Jon - can you please tell me if its simply a case of unscrewing the 4 screws holding on the faceplate, to remove on the SB26CDC / ADC? Is there anything else attached? (apart from I'm guessing the phase shield)?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"