Build therad: OLA-WG 2.5 - a 2.5way with SB midwoofers and a Bliesma tweeter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ergo
    • Mar 2005

Build therad: OLA-WG 2.5 - a 2.5way with SB midwoofers and a Bliesma tweeter

A new build thread with

Drivers:
    2x SB acoustics MW16P-8
    Bliesma T34B-4 tweeter.

Concept:
    Midwoofers in closed box.
    2.5way design (lower woofer helps compensate baffle step, but is rolled off before upper woofer)
    Bliesma tweeter mated with a waveguide to optimize the off axis / power response integration with midwoofer.

Other design goals:
    It is a known that these speakers will be augmented with subwoofer for frequencies below 80Hz
    The speakers must be able to play well also at low listening levels as the "client" - ie my friend likes to listen to music tracks at lower level than an average audiophile I suppose.
    The speakers must also handle Home Cinema scenario as that will be an equally important use case and the speakers will be used for music/movies almost equally.

Current progress:
    As the furniture and placement in room is known the front panel size is also known to be 700x220mm
    I've been printing several waveguide for the Bliesma tweeter and measuring them on this intended front panel
    SB midwoofers are also bought and measured. One is currently also on the baffle with a 15.7L plastic pot as a "closed box"
    The latter has allowed gathering on axis and upto 180deg off axis measurements for both drivers including the relative phase between them for estimating which WG depth and shape gives the best hope for a good xover integration

A teaser of a current proto stage
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Teaser.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	872322..
  • ergo
    • Mar 2005

Waveguide experiments

I've tried the Bliesma tweeter on a flat baffle and 4 different waveguide profiles/depths this far. Flat version was with a 160mm ring spacer to fit same hole as waveguides.

Name:	All_WG-s.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	863931

Name:	All_WG-s_responses.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	863932

Lets see if the "big picture"link will work here.

As the test baffle has sharp edges it makes the edge diffraction evident especially on flat panel mounting as well as for the shallow waveguide. The deeper the WG gets the less it is influenced by the front panel edge diffraction.

Update: 02.March 2020 - the download link for STL files of all of the above waveguides + holder bracket HERE
    Last edited by ergo; 02 March 2020, 22:22 Monday.

Comment

• ergo
      • Mar 2005

Placeholder for box details and build

One of the for interest trials done was to measure T/S
      a) 'out of box' and after applying only 3min of high excursion sine at Fs
      b) T/S after 12 hours high excursion burnin at FS

Name:	TS_measured_Vituix.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	865254

UniBox simulation for the 30L box to be built

Name:	Unibox.jpg
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	865255

Box is a relative simple MDF construction with 2 layer front panel

Name:	MDF_box.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	865256

Front panel has rounded corners with R22mm roundover bit (biggest I found for DeWalt I got)
      Paint is a "Granite simulaton" spray can paint (with 2 layers of undercoat paint - also spray can variant)

Name:	painted_boxes.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	865257

A 3D printed template was nice and easy way to sink the terminal plate

Name:	Template.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	865258
      Last edited by ergo; 02 March 2020, 22:44 Monday.

Comment

• ergo
        • Mar 2005

Look of the speaker in final form

Name:	Final box.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	865261
        Last edited by ergo; 02 March 2020, 23:16 Monday.

Comment

• ergo
          • Mar 2005

Placeholder for Xover and final measurements

Final Xover after numerous small tweaks based on listening

Name:	thumbnail_Final.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	865259

And the Holm Impulse measurement of 1m L and R speaker measurements at their final position. About 10deg off axis horizontally

Name:	Xover final measurements.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	865260
          Last edited by ergo; 02 March 2020, 23:06 Monday.

Comment

• ergo
            • Mar 2005

Adding an image with two of the above waveguides + the midwoofer off axis as well for reference

Name:	WG ver1 vs ver2(MCM) + MidW.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	863933

Comment

• sdl2112
              • Mar 2006

Very nice project! I appreciate your detailed testing. I am very interested in the Bliesma tweeter and your listening impressions once finished. It is unlike anything on the market specs wise. Huge Xmax and good dispersion. I almost want to try it in my SSA-WG, maybe one day. I look forward seeing your build progress. Good luck!

Comment

• Pythagoras
                • Oct 2018

I have the T34B-4 tweeters too for use without a waveguide.
                Have listened to the tweeters with a quick test setup and they sound just perfect really. Unlike anything I personally heard before.

What I do wonder though. Did you order them without the protective grill or did you remove it yourself?

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                  • Feb 2011

I think he stated on the diyaudio forum that he removed them himself.
                  Wolf

Comment

• ergo
                    • Mar 2005

Hi,

Yes we removed the grilles together with my friend. The manufacturer was actually very helpful and gave guidelines how to do it. Stating of course that it will void the warranty.

Heating needed to looseen the glue around the grille is about 80deg celsius. We checked that measuring the air flow out of the heat gun at 10..15mm before tackling the tweeter. For my gun that mean setting the temp to 110deg as the gun controls it at exit pipe I assume.

The other aspect to worry about is that the magnet on Bliesma is super strong. So one has to be very careful with the tools used AND the grille itself is magnetic, so when loosened it is danger that magnet pulls it into the dome. We mitigated risks by using bamboo sticks and then with 4 hands we managed to heat and remove the grille with low risk of it jumping to a wrong place.

In the tweeter box you see also the temporary covers I made to protect the dome when the tweeter is not intesting or in WG.

Name:	Bliesma_removing_grille.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	863934

Comment

• Pythagoras
                      • Oct 2018

Oef that takes nerves!
                      Thanks for sharing the process. Glad it went ok.

Btw did you measure any differences with the grille removed? I was already wondering if it had any acoustic effect at all.

Comment

• cochinada
                        • May 2014

Hi Ergo,

Do you have pictures of the disassembled Tweeter? I can't understand how the plate is attached as I see no screws at all. :roll:
                        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                        DIY subwoofers.
                        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• ergo
                          • Mar 2005

There are no screws on front nor back. So probably a heat activated glue is also used for front panel attachment. Changing the dome/coil assembly seems not possible for end user.

Name:	Bliesma_no_grille.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	863950

Name:	Bliesma_back.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	863951

Comment

• cochinada
                            • May 2014

Thanks Ergo. Do you glue your waveguide to the adaptar or what?
                            Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                            DIY subwoofers.
                            Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• ergo
                              • Mar 2005

As I knew that I want to try several waveguides I created all WG-s with outer diameter of 160mm and back side flat with 140mm. Then there is a 140mm mounting plate that holds the Bliesma without screws for now. I then use hot glue to just glue the rounded spots around the perimeter. That is enough strength to keep things in place for testing. This is not air tight, but I did not need that yet. For final design I'll consider creating a WG where the Bliesma will be held in place with screws also and we'll put some thin casket in between the tweeter and WG.

Hope the pictures explain the testing version.

Name:	WG_adapter_2.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	863955Click image for larger version

Name:	WG_adapter.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	863954Click image for larger version

Name:	WG_adapter_3.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	863956

Comment

• ergo
                                • Mar 2005

I've been playing with the measured data on 4 alternatives
                                a) Bliesma on flat baffle (no waveguide)
                                b) Bliesma in shallow 10mm deep waveguide
                                c) Bliesma in MCM (Modula MT mkII) type waveguide
                                d) Bliesma in deepest (46mm deep) oblate spheroid profile WG

Upper woofer was measured and merged with a low frequency measurement at 30cm gated with 56ms - so has a bit of room modes in it.

Lower woofer data was generated from top woofer data by using different baffle step simulation profile and adding the 57mm (165us) extra delay.

Power response matching of midwoofer / tweeter improve with each deeper WG. The deepest one shows pretty good graphs... but the directivity index climbs quite high in end. My friends new room has quite a lively reverb, so it might help there. We'll have a think about which WG to go with.

Current proto front panel has sharp 90deg edges. Final design will have rounded over edges - so all plots will probably look better around 2.5k and 5k, but how much exactly is hard to guess.

Next step is building true proto speaker boxes. Then I can put both woofers in a box and we can get a listen. I also ordered the Hypex UcD36MP kit, so I can run these speakers with LspCAD crossover emulation too before we build the final crossovers. Maybe well even try two different waveguides still.

Name:	Bliesma flat panel.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	863962Click image for larger version

Name:	Bliesma shallow 10mm WG.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	863963Click image for larger version

Name:	Bliesma MCM WG.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	863964Click image for larger version

Name:	Bliesma deepest OS WG.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	863965

Comment

• cochinada
                                  • May 2014

I like the last one better because for one, the power index is more 'regular'. I would just try to get a more horizontal on-axis response but that's only my personal preference and I do understand the trend that Troels G. also appears to be following these days which is a tilted response.
                                  Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                  DIY subwoofers.
                                  Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• ergo
                                    • Mar 2005

The overall voicing is something thats hard to set at this point. Both Modula MT mkII and Minerva projects as well as one earlier project with waveguide have all indicated that they sound a bit 'shiny and sharp' with a flat on axis response. Tilting it down smoothly has helped with that. It might be to do with a power response that drops less in high and there is more energy in room as a result and to compensate one needs to take the on axis down a bit. The other aspect with waveguides is that they often work best with less tilting toward the listener. For my Minervas for example the 20deg off axis pointed towards listener seems to work the best for me as an example. In above images I decided to take a middle ground and show all of them at 10deg off axis as the main axis.

Comment

• cochinada
                                      • May 2014

That's a perfectly logic assumption. What matters the most in the end is how they sound in your specific room and if you like it or not.

I've been reading this book from Floyd Toole "Sound Reproduction - The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms" which most of you guys have probably read as well, so I'm surely biased also by my beliefs. I'm probably another 'victim' of psychoacoustics but I can't let go of a flat response concept that easily but pursuing a tilted power response at the same time.

BTW, I've already an acoustic project ongoing for my living room where I hope the results will be highly noticeable. Do you have any specific treatment in your room Ergo or are you limited by that terrible WAF factor?
                                      Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                      DIY subwoofers.
                                      Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• ergo
                                        • Mar 2005

This specific project goes to my friends living room. He has some acoustic treatment plans, but options are somewhat limited as usual. The rooms is sort of part of an open space, so the kitchen is in one corner of the room and front entrance to the flat and access to balcony and other rooms are on various walls. So getting a good sound will be a bit of challenge but one that we are hoping to solve among other things with waveguides and good power response

Comment

• sdl2112
                                          • Mar 2006

I have found voicing one of the more difficult aspects of loudspeaker design. When I started my design I was like...what is my design target? I really didn't know. One of my goals was to correlate what I see in graphs to what I hear. An on-axis response really doesn't tell you much. So I proceeded to design for flat then adjust with external shelving circuits (for now passive between the preamp and amp). As a matter of fact I just made a change Friday to increase the downward slope. Anyway I found this review of the Dutch and Dutch 8c by Mitch Barnett interesting. He is a proponent of a downward tilt and has referenced work from Sean Olive, Floyd Toole and others. He even goes off on a soapbox on it. As I said it's an interesting read and it sure looks like the DD 8c use the Wavecor 8" woofers. Overall a pretty interesting speaker.

Comment

• ergo
                                            • Mar 2005

Thanks for the "Dutch and Dutch 8c" link. Interesting speaker and worthwhile to read review. The off axis and power response preference studies are also covered deep in the before mentioned Floyd Toole "Sound Reproduction - The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms" which I own and read also.

My friend drew up the box and calculated the pieces and will order the material and cutting to dimension from his friend who is in furniture business. So it'll take some time to get those and then we can progress with speaker.

Meanwhile I got the Hypex 6ch amp and enclosure from Audiophonics.fr. I had thought about getting an amp for LspCAD speaker emulations so I could run project with that before ordering the passive parts. I did that a lot years back, but then the big analog amps got stashed away and seem too hard to dig up when needed. A small class-D seems a perfect fit for the task. The nice small enclosure was also on sale, so the amp + enclosure + terminals set me back 200EUR which seems not bad. I'd just wish that Hypex would also include a wiring kit. Had to hunt those specific connectors from RS components and it'll take extra time to arrive.

I'll also add a 6 channel pre+volume control I built back in 2007. That too has been sitting on shelf and will get a new life. Connecting amp direct to soundcard always makes me a bit nervous when tweeter is connected there without protection too.... software can never be fully trusted. So having a master volume before the amp makes things safe + it's easier to adjust than the volume from LspCAD

Name:	UCD36MP.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	863966Click image for larger version

Name:	6ch pre.jpg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	863967

Comment

• ergo
                                              • Mar 2005

A bit of progress on both fronts

MDF for proto boxes for the OLA-WG arrived. Now waiting for the Festool DF500 domino tool that I ordered with inspiration from this forum too. Should make it times easier to make a precise assembly of the box.

Name:	IMG_20190317_172757_20190317_173054311.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	864009

Also mechanical placement for the 6channel Hypex is done with help from my friend. Now some wiring ahead. I have all connectors and cables needed, just have to find the time.Click image for larger version

Name:	UcD36MP.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	864010

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ergo
                                                Thanks for the "Dutch and Dutch 8c" link. Interesting speaker and worthwhile to read review. The off axis and power response preference studies are also covered deep in the before mentioned Floyd Toole "Sound Reproduction - The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms" which I own and read also.

My friend drew up the box and calculated the pieces and will order the material and cutting to dimension from his friend who is in furniture business. So it'll take some time to get those and then we can progress with speaker.

Meanwhile I got the Hypex 6ch amp and enclosure from Audiophonics.fr. I had thought about getting an amp for LspCAD speaker emulations so I could run project with that before ordering the passive parts. I did that a lot years back, but then the big analog amps got stashed away and seem too hard to dig up when needed. A small class-D seems a perfect fit for the task. The nice small enclosure was also on sale, so the amp + enclosure + terminals set me back 200EUR which seems not bad. I'd just wish that Hypex would also include a wiring kit. Had to hunt those specific connectors from RS components and it'll take extra time to arrive.

I'll also add a 6 channel pre+volume control I built back in 2007. That too has been sitting on shelf and will get a new life. Connecting amp direct to soundcard always makes me a bit nervous when tweeter is connected there without protection too.... software can never be fully trusted. So having a master volume before the amp makes things safe + it's easier to adjust than the volume from LspCAD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28957[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28958[/ATTACH]
                                                Isn't it interesting how sometimes things come together with pieces of knowledge and/or hardware accumulated at another time? Interesting project, Ergo!

:T

I will confess that the most interesting part was finding out about the BlieSMA organization and their new tweeters- especially the T34B. So interesting, that now Solen in Canada has two less in stock than earlier today...

There are several possible homes for it... if it pans out as testing of their two models has done for HiFi Compass, Troels, and AudioExpress, there are at least two projects it will go into. Possibly three under consideration, considering the sensitivity.

Remarkable.
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Hi,

Yes we removed the grilles together with my friend. The manufacturer was actually very helpful and gave guidelines how to do it. Stating of course that it will void the warranty.

Heating needed to looseen the glue around the grille is about 80deg celsius. We checked that measuring the air flow out of the heat gun at 10..15mm before tackling the tweeter. For my gun that mean setting the temp to 110deg as the gun controls it at exit pipe I assume.

The other aspect to worry about is that the magnet on Bliesma is super strong. So one has to be very careful with the tools used AND the grille itself is magnetic, so when loosened it is danger that magnet pulls it into the dome. We mitigated risks by using bamboo sticks and then with 4 hands we managed to heat and remove the grille with low risk of it jumping to a wrong place.

In the tweeter box you see also the temporary covers I made to protect the dome when the tweeter is not intesting or in WG.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28920[/ATTACH]
                                                  Also appreciated that you shared the process. :T

Gives food for thought and planning...

Now, where did I put those bamboo sticks? :W:
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
                                                    • Mar 2005

I had a question in PM about the graphs and curves, so answering here too. The new VituixCAD version allows exporting individual graph with legend, so that might help.

The off axis measurements I do are geberally 10deg steps in horizontal direction from 0deg ot 180deg (sometimes 0 to 90 or 100 to make the graph less 'busy')

The line with 'bold' in VituixCAD means the "reference angle". That is user defined and in my case it is 10deg. With waveguide speakers I usually do not use the 0deg on axis curves as a reference axis as experience shows that pointing then a bit off axis from direct path to ear sounds better.

Name:	WGv1_offaxis_Directivity_(hor).png
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	864153Click image for larger version

Name:	WGv1_offaxis_Power+DI.png
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	864154

This weekend should bring some progress to this build finally. I have meanwhile got all the walls for the boxes and the speaker holes and recesses for the front panels have been milled already. So the glue up is next using the new and shiny Festool DF 500 domino system for alignment.

Comment

• ergo
                                                      • Mar 2005

With the slogan learned from Jon "Slow work takes time"... but there is some progress.

The 6ch amp is ready. With a kit from Alibaba it has a remote volume and power on/off functionality as well. Tried a 3D printing with transparent PETG to make a 'window' for the power LED and IR. The IR penetrates that well enough. I might consider redoing this by milling some semi transparent acrylic, but for now this works too and is ready for "xover simulation" with LaspCAD as soon as I get the boxes together.

Name:	UcD36MP_IR.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	864180Click image for larger version

Name:	UcD36MP_ready.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	864181

The OLA boxes are glued up. Outer front panel glue up to come still. Those are cut already including the driver recesses and holes. Festool Domino method was used and I must say that after some initial learning it is easy to see how efficient fast and precise this can be. Usually it is hard to get all 3, but the DF 500 sure helps.
                                                      My friend wants to try with acoustic panels as internal wall lining, so we will give that a go. We'll see what it does to apparent box volume and if the box stuffing can be 'too dead'.

Name:	Proto box no FP.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	864182

Comment

• cochinada
                                                        • May 2014

Hi Ergo,

I've bought this for my amplifier in the making.
                                                        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                        DIY subwoofers.
                                                        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• Zvu
                                                          • Oct 2013

Check the tracking between L/R channels in that motorized potentiometer. It can be way off.
                                                          Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• ergo
                                                            • Mar 2005

Joaquim, thats a nice looking pre indeed. My main pre-map uses the Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp + a relay switcher for a volume. This one is just for occasions where more than 2 channels are needed.

Zvu - that a good point. I have not done that on this unit. Years ago I had an amp with the same series Alps pot and that one happened to be relative ok, but yeah I'll try to measure this one as for xover comparison thats quite crucial.

Comment

• Zvu
                                                              • Oct 2013

I like to use THESE in front of an amplifier for setting the levels of individual drivers and i use software for higher resolution attenuation. That way i am sure that the levels of both channels are exactly the same.
                                                              Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• ergo
                                                                • Mar 2005

Thanks for that reference Zvu. Affordable and nice option indeed it seems.

I'll check the Alps performance and if not good enough I can either go similar route or max the vol out from the pot and use the Master volume in the RME UCX mixer that I'd use for this.

Comment

• ergo
                                                                  • Mar 2005

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but we have made progress with the build. Yesterday the double front panels got attached with a 2mm bitumen in between inner and outer front panel layer.
                                                                  Paint is a "sandstone effect" can paint for both the box and front panel. Plan is to paint the WG too once I print it.... Just prepared the new STL files and will try out the progressively thinner layers to make the outer part of WG more smooth

Name:	Box_painted.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	864219Click image for larger version

Name:	MCM WG v2 pre print.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	864220

Comment

• wilbur-x
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • May 2016

Nice ! Skills, nerve and talent are a formidable combination.

Comment

• ergo
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

The variable layer thickness works quite well. Most of the WG is with 0.2 mm layer and upper part is then gradually finer. Took 10.5h of printing, but thats ok when it goes on over night.
                                                                      Gray one is for comparison where all layers are 0.2mm

Name:	MCM WG V2 var layer.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	864226

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by sdl2112
                                                                        ..Anyway I found this review of the Dutch and Dutch 8c by Mitch Barnett interesting. ..it sure looks like the DD 8c use the Wavecor 8" woofers. Overall a pretty interesting speaker.
                                                                        Though a bit off-topic:

-of particular note, look at the non-linear distortion on the lower-end:

IMO this is why you don't design small(ish) bass-boosted speakers.

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2006

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but we have made progress with the build.
                                                                          It's looking really good!

Comment

• ergo
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 676

A short update.

Last Saturday we made some progress with adding the terminal plates. My initial plan was to make a milling template for the terminal plate with 3D printer. That had sort of a 'spectacular fail' So all in all starting a print and going to bed too early is not a good idea until these things get 'eyes' in form of a camrea or such, so the machine would know to stop when something like this happens.

Name:	3Dprint_fail.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	864271

So on to making it out of MDF with a CNC.... and it resulted in pretty good result as expected (my CNC is still more precise than the Prusa 3D one and when it does fail it is usually less spectacular.)

Name:	terminal_plate_1.jpg
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	864272Click image for larger version

Name:	terminal_plate_2.jpg
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	864273

Drilling all the screw holes for drivers. The dowel on the drill bit is to make sure the chuck would not damage the paint when a hand-drill makes a sudden plunge while reaching the end of the material.

Name:	driver_screw_holes.jpg
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	864274

WG-s are also painted and ready....

Name:	WG_painted.jpg
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	864275

So getting very close to a stage where we can wire it all up and close the holes with drivers so I can do the measurements for the Xover...

Comment

• ergo
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 676

#39
                                                                              Progress done with the build

All drivers are in and 3 pars of cables going out of speaker terminal holes for now for measurements and initial xover.

Name:	OLA_test_setup.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	864315

Got to test the new manual turntable I built some months ago with a big Lazy Susan bearing from Alibaba.
                                                                              I CNC-ed the tick marks and then printed a 'spring assisted stop' for it

Name:	turntable.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	864316

Raw Bliesma T34B-4 + waveguide directivity (mic at 1m on tweeter height)

Name:	VituixCAD_Directivity_(hor)_tweeter.png
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	864317

Upper midwoofer MW-16P (mic at 1m at tweeter height still)

Name:	VituixCAD_Directivity_(hor)_midwoofer_upper.png
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	864318

PS. Design wise - the tweeter waveguide screws will probably be painted with the gray as well. Black as they are they become a bit too "eye catching" which is not the goal.

Comment

• ergo
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 676

#40
                                                                                Initial simulation of Xover that I'll be simulating first with LspCAD to voice it a bit further before ordering the parts

Name:	Xover_v1.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	864319

and the reverse null with tweeter inverted

Name:	Xover_v1_reverse null.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	864320

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2013
                                                                                  • 434

#41
                                                                                  That looks ridiculously good. I'd probably just do something about that hump from 120 to 400 hertz. Other than that, i'd say your work is done.
                                                                                  Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2014
                                                                                    • 658

#42
                                                                                    Very nice Ergo! Perhaps you already explained but I don't remember it. Do you have one of the woofers connected in series with a resistor or coil and then in parallel with the other?
                                                                                    Will you try to lower that small bump around 300Hz?
                                                                                    Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                                    DIY subwoofers.
                                                                                    Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• ergo
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 676

#43
                                                                                      Woofers are in parallel, but each has it's own LP xover.

Name:	Xover_sch_v1.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	864321

I'll try to measure also via simulated xover and confirm if I see this hump or not. Below is the raw measurement without xover and with two woofer in parallel. Speaker is mid room and the floor reflection (and other room modes) are visible.

Also my friend will mate these with two 10'' closed box woofer and he likes stronger lows + will use these for home cinema purposes also. So a bit of heavy in low end might be just to his liking. We'll see.

Name:	2xMidWparallel.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	864322

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2013
                                                                                        • 434

#44
                                                                                        I've seen couple of talks about trends in hifi audio these days. They say that 2 channel sound is slowly dying, sales go down, people listening more on their earbuds etc. While i do believe that people more often listen to music on their earbuds these days i don't think that 2 channel is dying. I also believe their sales go down and when i look at projects like this, i absolutely understand why. Sales go down because of numerous projects you can find online and make better speakers for less money than any factory can offer. I think we nailed passive crossovers and making our own stereo.
                                                                                        Last edited by Zvu; 02 June 2019, 18:43 Sunday.
                                                                                        Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• draki
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2012
                                                                                          • 37

#45
                                                                                          Ergo, nice and elegant!

A question: are you not setting the vertical (Y) coordinates for the individual drivers? The simulation shows all Y's at zero. Obviously the X and Z (looking at the pics) are supposed to be zero.

Could you post the impedance graph set to 20 Ohms range?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"