Faston connectors and PCB boards for crossovers - yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borsuk
    • Apr 2018

Faston connectors and PCB boards for crossovers - yes or no?

In my builds I used point-to-point style crossover on a piece of HDF like most of people here do, but I tried a PCB board in my Overnight Sensations as well.
    I must say that I like PCB boards much more, they seem much cleaner to me and they are easier to solder as well. So I plan to use PCB for a new Statements II build.

I wonder if it makes sense to use Faston connectors to connect drivers and input. I see Fastons in lot of amplifier builds and not only for connecting power supply but also for speaker output from PCB to terminals, but I don't see Fastons on speaker crossovers. Why?
    Is there anything wrong with them?

What do you think?
    Fastons - yes or no?
    PCBs - yes or no?

Thank you for opinions
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by borsuk
    In my builds I used point-to-point style crossover on a piece of HDF like most of people here do, but I tried a PCB board in my Overnight Sensations as well.
    I must say that I like PCB boards much more, they seem much cleaner to me and they are easier to solder as well. So I plan to use PCB for a new Statements II build.

I wonder if it makes sense to use Faston connectors to connect drivers and input. I see Fastons in lot of amplifier builds and not only for connecting power supply but also for speaker output from PCB to terminals, but I don't see Fastons on speaker crossovers. Why?
    Is there anything wrong with them?

What do you think?
    Fastons - yes or no?
    PCBs - yes or no?

Thank you for opinions
    I used PCBs for the last couple of builds that I have done. For standard prototyping boards, the pre-drilled holes are basically the right size to push wires through, which gives a better mechanical base from which to solder, IMHO. :-)
    Last edited by Bear; 19 January 2019, 16:47 Saturday. Reason: typo
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• borsuk
      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Bear
      For standard prototyping boards, the pre-drilled holes are basically the right size to push wires through, which gives a better mechanical base from which to solder, IMHO. :-)
      I plan to etch the boards instead of prototyping board, so I can use almost anything for connections. Used screw terminals before.
      Soldering is also an option.
      Another dilemma is regarding drivers - solder the input lugs or use connectors (they look as Fastons as well). Still waiting for drivers to arrive to be sure.

Comment

• TEK
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I think faston is perfectly ok to use. They have a good connection, at it should normally be no problem.
        But a speaker has a lot more vibration than a amp, so it’s a bit different. But I still do not think it is a problem.
        However, if you want to be 100% sure that notging comes loose, and needing a solder iron to disconnect the drivers, then solder is for you.
        -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Bill Schneider
          • Sep 2007

I've used faston connectors in a number of projects, and haven't had any issues at all. I have seen them used in commercial speakers too, and never encountered any problems in those that I owned.
          My audio projects:
          http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"