X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ck81144
    • Jan 2018

Statement Speaker Amplifier Question

Hi

I'm new to the forums. I am interested in building a set of Statements but before I go and spend the money, I would like some opinions regarding my amp. I plan on driving these with a Marantz 140. It's only rated at 70 or 75 Watts (I believe) and I just want to make sure this amp will drive the speakers.

Chris
  • CBM87
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ck81144
    Hi

I'm new to the forums. I am interested in building a set of Statements but before I go and spend the money, I would like some opinions regarding my amp. I plan on driving these with a Marantz 140. It's only rated at 70 or 75 Watts (I believe) and I just want to make sure this amp will drive the speakers.

Chris
    I'm sure Mr. Holtz will reply, but I originally had my Anthologys on my 100wpc (@8 ohm) HTR and the thing would get screaming hot at a lower volume. I now have them on an Adcom GFA-545 and it has plenty of headroom and sound even more fantastic. I'm sure the statements are just as if not more power hungry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

• CBM87
      • Nov 2017

Hi

Chris
      Not to mislead. My issue was probably more impedance related. Can your amp handle 6ohm loads well? I'm sure it's better than an older receiver like I had.

Comment

• ck81144
        • Jan 2018

According to Hi Fi Engine, my amp specs are 75WPC into an 8 ohm load. It also says 8 ohm minimum. Maybe it can't run these speakers.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

According to Hi Fi Engine, my amp specs are 75WPC into an 8 ohm load. It also says 8 ohm minimum. Maybe it can't run these speakers.
          Sorry, you need an amp capable of 4 ohm loads and 100 watts minimum @ 8 ohms. That puts a decent amp around 140 - 150 at 4 ohms which is what they really need. As always with amps, more is better.

There are better Marantz receivers that should handle the Statements or better yet, go with separates and a pre/pro. There are lots of great deals used in like new condition.

HTH

JIm

Comment

• ck81144
            • Jan 2018

Ok, guess I will be looking for another speaker design. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

• CBM87
              • Nov 2017

Ok, guess I will be looking for another speaker design. Anyone have any suggestions?
              Build Anthologys [emoji16]. Not enough of them around. Less cost than the Statements. I adore mine. Use the extra cash for an amp/pre amp off of eBay. Those damn Daytons put out way more bass than you'd think. I don't even use a sub while listening to music. My build thread as well as others' is on here.

Comment

• ck81144
                • Jan 2018

I was thinking about the Anthologys as an alternative since the impedance is around 6 ohms. I may have to look into them a little closer. I just don't really want to give up my vintage Marantz gear, especially since I just rebuilt the amp and preamp.

Comment

• CBM87
                  • Nov 2017

I was thinking about the Anthologys as an alternative since the impedance is around 6 ohms. I may have to look into them a little closer. I just don't really want to give up my vintage Marantz gear, especially since I just rebuilt the amp and preamp.
                  I was patient and kept checking eBay. I picked up an average condition GTP-500 preamp and pristine GFA-545mkii for about $450 after shipping. Doesn't mean you need to offload the Marantz. It'll take a couple months to build so you've got time. There's plenty of budget friendly amps out there.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I did a quick Google and it seems that the 140 is being used successfully with 4-6 ohm loads. 75 watts isn't going to allow 110 db listening levels but, the Anthology's are around 88-89 db efficient so they will get plenty loud. The Anthology's are my favorite for an all around speaker that sound great on music and have excellent dynamics which also makes them a great choice for home theater.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Jim

Comment

• ck81144
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                      I did a quick Google and it seems that the 140 is being used successfully with 4-6 ohm loads. 75 watts isn't going to allow 110 db listening levels but, the Anthology's are around 88-89 db efficient so they will get plenty loud. The Anthology's are my favorite for an all around speaker that sound great on music and have excellent dynamics which also makes them a great choice for home theater.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Jim
                      Well I finally got around to building these and wow I am impressed. I changed up my system. I'm still running vintage equipment but now I have a Pioneer SX-1010 that I rebuilt about a month ago. It handles the 4 ohm load pretty good and has more than enough power to drive the Anthologys. I'll have to post some pics someday of my build. Right now, they are just in bare cabinets. I have to do the veneer still.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Hi Chris,

Impressed is what Curt and I like to hear. :T

We're very glad you're enjoying the Anthology's!

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"