X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky22buk
    • Jan 2018

Buy Classe or avoid ?

Was just about to buy my first home cinema system which comprised of Classe and B&W products. Have heard the two together at many hifi shows and just love the sound. But just as I was about to buy the whole Classe situation was thrown up in the air. So I'm curious.......

Given the current situation would you personally still buy Classe gear, or would you avoid and go with another manufacturer ?
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

What situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

So Classé has been sold to Sound Unitied (owner of Marantz and Denon amongst others)... https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sound-united-acquires-classé-audio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

In May of 2016, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) was sold to EVA Automation in a deal that included Classé Audio and the US distribution of Rotel Electronics. Since then, production and distribution of B&W and Rotel products has continued but not so for Classé. Initially, the new management announced that production and distribution of current products would continue but that all newly announced products, prototypes of which had been shown at the previous CEDIA, would be put on hold.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• HiFiGuy
          • Jul 2017

At this point I would avoid it. The previous company was closed down. Assets have been bought by Sound United and it will be rebuilt. The previous service organization is gone as is much of that knowledge.

Future products I would consider. Existing products on dealer shelves or pre-owned are a risk. All my opinion.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Some of the comments are...interesting, but I don't see a dearth of 20+ year old Boston Acoustics drivers as proof positive that Classe will be sold in Walmart. DM Holdings saved Marantz from the BPC boneyard, IMO, and I'm glad Classe has a new lease on life.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Marantz and Denon seem to have done well as part of the group, but as a very happy owner of VR-M Reference series Boston Acoustics speakers for my main cinema system, I am quite saddened nothing at BA today piques my interest by way of potential replacements/upgrades. I hope Classe gets the Marantz experience rather than the Boston one.

Comment

• Ricky22buk
                • Jan 2018

Thanks guys !

I have a dealer where I can buy the following :

2 x M400 mono's second hand
                1 x CA-5300 brand new in box with a 35% discount
                1 x SSP800 second hand at good discount

Was going to couple these with 803d3 & 804d for 5.1 configuration now but at some stage in the future I would like to go down the 4k and atmos route.

I'm honestly not sure what to do. The safe thing is obviously to wait and see what new products appear. Having said that, the mono's and 5300 could be amps for life at a good discount, and the dealer in question tells me Sound United have bought it over 100%, so they will honour all servicing and warranties. So maybe these amps are a good buy ?

The processor would be good for the meantime, but wouldn't be upgradable for atmos or 4K in the future. I'm going down the self build route at the minute so intend to have a dedicated cinema room in the future after the build is complete. The dealer has offered my a 100% buy back clause in the deal, if I buy all the gear from him, should I wish to upgrade the processor at any point in time.

Also as much as I like the look of the Delta range, when I build my home cinema room in the new build I will have all electronics hidden away !

Anymore personal opinions or comments are appreciated guys of whether to buy or avoid now you know what I had been considering !!!!

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

I should think the amps, if the prices are reasonable, are worth serious consideration. The processor would be the weak link, but if the dealer is on the up and up about the buy back clause (and you think it's going to meet your immediate needs), why not? I'd just make sure all these things are in writing and signed (preferably by manager/owner).

Comment

• deralte
                    • Feb 2018

classé quality issues

have several problems with CLASSé cp 800: input switching does not work from time to time and digital ticking appears. The IOS app does not work either.
                    have a look at this:

problem occurs while switching station on DAB radio, or in between tracks of a cd. Ticking also appears when source is switched off.

and this

brought it back for repair but is seems they can't do nothing about it at the moment."we are looking for a solution" is what they said!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"