Some speaker driver measurements...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diyDreamer
    • Sep 2006

My fullest solidarity with the Ukrainian people.
    I am also sorry for the Russian people involved in an unreasonable war which, inevitably, they too will pay a price.

Best wishes to Yevgeniy and his family.

Roland

Comment

• Scottg
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Bear
      The Beryllium dome, in particular, would challenge some of the Accuton cell mids, which seem to have implementation challenges based upon Jon's ongoing narratives here. It isn't hard to see some high-end designs being built with the Be mids and tweeters from BliesMa, and then some form of prestige lower end.
      When I looked at his subjective comments on each of the drivers - is was sort of a "yup" moment, though not in every respect.

Saying the Be version is more "accurate" (or less colored) when the silk does sound-stage expansion isn't right - the dispersion of the Be version is actually BETTER (more "omni"/uniform) overall and should provide better expansion than the Silk dome. Really what's very likely happening is that the surround is over-damping the Be version and curtailing those spatial aspects (..particularly depth of field). On the other hand every other comment seems correct: the Silk just isn't going to have that dynamic+clarity that the Be has and is likely to have a bit more tonal character.

Really what it say's to me is that the Silk mid.-dome should be paired with a very clean driver like their larger Be tweeter with a fairly shallow slope for integrating both drivers: providing the clarity and dynamic "snap" of the tweeter and the better expansion of the mid.-dome.

Comment

• audioslave
        • Oct 2003

Support for Ukraine and HIFICompass

Yevgeniy,

I just wanted to add my appreciation for all the work you have done providing a great resource to the community. You have my family's solidarity in Ukraine's struggle to remain independent. Just a terrible situation.

We hope to see you make it through this safe and able to return to our simple hobby
        mike

Comment

• Scottg
          • Nov 2006

He's still pumping-out great content!

What is on the test bench? Only six months have passed since the Danish company PURIFI announced its first 6.5" midrange speaker PTT6.5M04-NFA-01 with a paper cone. In a sense, this is a significant model, since before it the Danes made only horizontal movements and paid attention exclusively to midwoofers that have already gained huge popularity around the world. Now they

-stay safe Yevgeniy.

Comment

• Juhazi
            • May 2008

^The mid-Purifi test was released on Feb 21st, three days before Russia's attack. The invasion was hanging in the air, but many of us neighbours of Russia didn't want to think it would ever happen. Crazy world...
            And now almost a month later Ukrainians are still holding on and getting very little military help. More than 3 million refugees, and increasing number of Russians emigrating as well.

News, analyses, investigations, opinions, podcasts and more. On-the-ground reporting from Ukraine

The international armed conflict between Russia and Ukraine is fueling a devastating humanitarian crisis that is affecting the lives of millions of people. We have worked in Ukraine since 2014 and since 24 February 2022, we have massively scaled up our response to meet the rising needs.We have over 800 staff working in 8 locations across Ukraine to deliver relief items to displaced people, provide medicines and supplies to health care facilities, restore water supply for millions of people, and other lifesaving activities. Humanitarian crisis in Ukraine
            Last edited by Juhazi; 19 March 2022, 09:43 Saturday.
            My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• HiFiCompass
              • Jan 2018

My dear friends!

This year HiFiCompass.com is going to celebrate its first small jubilee - the fifth anniversary since its founding. All this time it has kept afloat and moved forward entirely by my own efforts, enthusiasm and adherence to highest quality audio. I have been doing my best to create a uniform, free access and open database of the most reliable objective measurements of the characteristics of speaker drivers, also have been sharing with you my subjective impressions and reviews. I believe that introducing the world audio community to more speakers at a deeper technical level than was previously available to everyone, as well as helping to understand “who is who?” actually in the world of speaker drivers, I succeeded to a certain extent. I hope that I will be able to continue my work and delight you with new measurements, reviews, and projects.

However, the time has come, a very difficult time has come for me, for my people, for my country. I ask for support from all the not indifferent users of my website, all those whom it helped in solving their own tasks, who were interested in spending time on it, and all those who would like to continue its existence and development. It is very important for me and it would be very nice to feel grateful feedback from you.

Be sure that a piece of your Goodness will definitely reach and live in the Heart of a person who needs it or who has suffered as a result of the perfidious, hypocritical and cynical military aggression of the russian government against the people of Ukraine.

“Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire” – Schindler’s List

You can support the website through the PayPal payment system:

hificompass@gmail.com

Please leave your name and country in the comments to the donation.

To all of you, peace and happiness!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

It's probably kind of silly to point out how I've been waking up in the middle of the night/early morning hours and checking the news, especially in the early days of the assault by that rabid dog running Russia these days... worried about what I might read, but feeling like I had to stay on top of things to the degree possible.

Due to my former day job and other happenstance, I have a lot of East European friends and Russian friends- non are remotely happy about what has been going down. For example, our realtor here is a lady who was born in Siberian Russia, but at a very early age, her family moved to Ukraine- she grew up there. With the repression and controls that existed back then, when she wanted to expand and grow her mercantile business (while in her early 20's) it was only being born in Russia that enabled her to get a passport and travel back and forth into Russia and areas like Moscow to conduct business. Ordinary Ukraines could not do this, which in my mind puts proof to the lie that Ukraine is part of Russia and not an independent state. Traveling as a Ukraine citizen to Moscow for business was treated like a Mexican wanting to travel to Chicago or NYC for business.

My wife was born in Khabarovsk, and her first husband and father of her older daughter was from Ukraine. She sent both of her daughters to Seattle to go to University in the US for schooling, engineering degrees. Both have good families, and are naturalized citizens, as is my wife. The younger daughter and her family just moved to Sweden the end of 2021 for a work opportunity with a well known game developer.

And my first manager at Siemens was from Croatia, and an engineer I recruited into the company from Canada was from Croatia also... and one of the engineers I did some of my most important work in Munich with was from Russia, and went back there in the mid 2000's. Last I know (email a year ago) he was still working for Infineon, but I doubt that will last.

I suspect I have a bit more interaction with East Europeans than the average US citizens, but who knows? I could be quite wrong about that!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                  • Jan 2018

Many, many thanks for you support and kind words, my friends!

I'm sorry, but it is impossible doing new measurements until the war ends. But there is a good news - there are some recently finished measurements, which I have not published yet but will try do it in coming days. They are include SEAS 27TAC/GB, ScanSpeak D2404/5520 and others. If nothing interferes, the review of the Purifi PTT6.5X04-NAA-08 will be published by the end of the next week.

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                    • Feb 2011

I really like the 27TAC/GB, but was met with some possible but remediable QC concerns.
                    For reference:
                    I recently purchased a pair of these from Meniscus. They are not on their website yet. I e-mailed my inquiry. Mark hooked me up.

Wolf

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                      • Jan 2018

The review of the PURIFI Alu cone long-stroke midwoofer PTT6.5X04-NAA-08:

What is on the test bench? The Danish company PURIFI continues very confidently march to the Olympus of High-End speakers and seems has squeezed everything out of its line of 6.5" speakers with paper cones, bringing them to perfection. First, the company has produced PTT6.5X04-NFA -01 (Xlin=+/-9.8 mm), then its normal stroke version PTT6.5W04-NFA-01 (Xlin=+/-5.9 mm) and the

Comment

• technodanvan
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

"The unevenness in the band 140 Hz - 3.1 kHz does not exceed +/-0.65 dB"

Impressive.
                        - Danny

Comment

• HiFiCompass
                          • Jan 2018

Some last measurements:

The HD measurements at distance 315 mm and voltage levels of 2.83 - 16 Volt were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 50 Hz cutoff, HPF2-50). The voice coil current HD measurements were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 50 Hz cutoff, HPF2-50). Before taking the measurements the speaker had been very good

The HD measurements (315 mm) at voltage levels 2.83 - 4 Volt were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 800 Hz cutoff, HPF2-800) The HD measurements (315 mm) at voltage levels 5.6 - 8 Volt were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (4th order Butterworth type, 800 Hz cutoff, HPF4-800) The HD measurements (315 mm) at voltage level 11.2 Volt were

The HD measurements (315 mm) at voltage levels 2.83 - 11.2 Volt were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 800 Hz cutoff, HPF2-800) The voice coil current HD measurements were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 800 Hz cutoff, HPF2-800)

Comment

• tktran
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by technodanvan
                            "The unevenness in the band 140 Hz - 3.1 kHz does not exceed +/-0.65 dB"

Impressive.
                            I thought the fibre-coned Purifi was super flat and smooth, like only a pistonic metal cone driver could be...

But then there's Purifi pistonic.

And did you see the non-linear distortion? It's closing in on amplifier-like levels of distortion... at midrange frequencies at 96dB@0.315m, between 300Hz to 2Khz the H2 & H3 is -70 to -75dB, H4 & H5 -85 to -90dB.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by tktran
                              I thought the fibre-coned Purifi was super flat and smooth, like only a pistonic metal cone driver could be...

But then there's Purifi pistonic.

And did you see the non-linear distortion? It's closing in on amplifier-like levels of distortion... at midrange frequencies at 96dB@0.315m, between 300Hz to 2Khz the H2 & H3 is -70 to -75dB, H4 & H5 -85 to -90dB.
                              I think ET smells a Natalie P Ultra in the wind with the 8 ohm version of this part…
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                I think ET smells a Natalie P Ultra in the wind with the 8 ohm version of this part…
                                And maybe a Natalie P Ultra Max with the 8 ohm version of this gem! Maybe with the SB Acoustic beryllium wg tweeter or Bliesma beryllium?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                  And maybe a Natalie P Ultra Max with the 8 ohm version of this gem! Maybe with the SB Acoustic beryllium wg tweeter or Bliesma beryllium?

https://purifi-audio.com/ptt8-0x04-n...p4MLHFPn1tDpvM

Great Scott!

You must be eavesdropping on the communications I have been having with Steve Manning! Don't tell me you're tracking my orders with Solen, also!

No man should know too much about their own destiny, or the next designs coming from SMJ!

But, this is 2022, and as we all know, while we think we can predict the future about some things, no one can predict when high end drivers ship these days!
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"