Updating the software/firmware on a Rotel RSX 1067 in 2018...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackbirdM3
    • Jan 2018

Updating the software/firmware on a Rotel RSX 1067 in 2018...

I recently acquired a really nice RSX1067. What an amazing piece of machinery. After doing some research on here, it has the original install firmware and software. I found the downloads for the updated versions of both, however I have a couple questions.
    1. Does anyone have a USB to the correct cable input to do it? I understand the Pin layout is a little bit unusual. I'm also guessing Rotel doesn't have the original cable these days.
    2. Can the Rotel software work with a Windows 7 ultimate OS or do I have to conjure up an XP machine? Its my understanding that W7 can run XP programs, but I'm not sure.
    3. Will the latest software/firmware updates also include the earlier fixes?

I must say, I'm quite impressed with the 1067 even though its at least 10 years old. I'm running a set of Paradigm Monitor 9s, Monitor 7s matching center channel and a set of mini monitors for the surrounds with a Velodyne sub. (Yeah, its all oldschool). I'd love to get the 1067 updated as far as I can to really make the most of it.

Thanks,
    Will
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    I recently acquired a really nice RSX1067. What an amazing piece of machinery. After doing some research on here, it has the original install firmware and software. I found the downloads for the updated versions of both, however I have a couple questions.
    1. Does anyone have a USB to the correct cable input to do it? I understand the Pin layout is a little bit unusual. I'm also guessing Rotel doesn't have the original cable these days.
    If you don't have a PC with a real RS232 port, try your best to get a USB-rs232 adapter that has a real RS232 port. Last I dealt, Belkin models were the best bet, but it's been a few years. Key words would be a UART chip. Part #CB00004 is still available from Rotel for $6.91US. This is the correct pin out DB9 to RJ45.

2. Can the Rotel software work with a Windows 7 ultimate OS or do I have to conjure up an XP machine? Its my understanding that W7 can run XP programs, but I'm not sure.
    I've updated several since upgrading to Win7. Much more important to have a real serial port or UART chip.

Yes, latest releases are all inclusive.

I must say, I'm quite impressed with the 1067 even though its at least 10 years old. I'm running a set of Paradigm Monitor 9s, Monitor 7s matching center channel and a set of mini monitors for the surrounds with a Velodyne sub. (Yeah, its all oldschool). I'd love to get the 1067 updated as far as I can to really make the most of it.

Thanks,
    Will
    It's quite amazing what good quality can do. Glad you are enjoying it!

Kevin D.

Comment

• BlackbirdM3
      • Jan 2018

Thanks for the reply. My laptop might have and RS232 port. Its got a serial port of some sort with 3 rows of 5 pins. I thought it was a monitor port, but perhaps its actually what I need (Its on the side next to the LAN ports. Its a Lenovo R400 (Yes, old school, but does what I need it to do) I'll give Rotel a call in the morning and get the cable ordered.

The software/firmware version is V1.2.5-051026, so it appears to be pretty old. It sounds really good, but the one thing that I've found that kinda bugs me is the fact that the digital input from my computer only comes in as a 2 channel, and I'd like to run it in 7 channel stereo (For things like Pandora or watching a streaming sports event) It currently won't do it. If I have a multi channel feed, its fine, but apparently the computer is only sending 2 channels through the TOSLINK. Speaking of the TOSLINKS, do you happen to have a good suggestion for a splitter input? I have 3 TOSLINK inputs (CD, Blu-Ray, Computer) and none have a coax digital output. The analog outputs on the CD player are insanely sensitive to the cables, my set of Audioquest cables won't reach the amp, and my longer noname set sound horrible. (I knew the CD player has a reputation of being touchy, but this is insane. It wasn't noticeable on my old Yamaha RXV 2400, but the Rotel makes the issue very obvious.) My thought was run the CD into the optical 1, and split the BR/computer feed into optical 2. (The Yamaha was awesome in that it had 6 optical inputs) I can't see a need to run the sound from both the BR and computer at the same time. Yes, there could be some signal degradation, but perhaps not since a 1 and a 0 can't become anything other than that. I've found lots of one input, two output switches, but a two into 1 is hard to find. (Are they one way or does it matter?)

I'm looking forward to hearing what this thing can do with the updates. Its already better than anything anyone I know owns, and it makes the local movie theater sound like a bad joke. I'm blown away by how smooth, clear and precise this amp sounds. The imaging is fantastic. My RSX 972 is nice, but the 1067 is on another level. Another thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to run hot like many of the other comments I've read say it does. (It does have lots of airflow, no cabinet, or anything on top of it. ) I've had it driving all 7 channels at moderate levels for about 4 hrs now and I can place my hand on top of it no problem. (And keep it there for as long as I want.) I haven't even heard the fans kick on.

Will

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Serial would have 9 pins, 15 pins is a monitor.

For sending more then 2 channels through the Toslink, I think it would have to be bitstream (ie Dolby Digital or DTS). You might be better off applying a sound field on the Rotel.

There's several optical switchers out there, but I'm not sure if they would have an adverse effect on the sound or not. My preference would be an optical to coaxial converter so you wouldn't have another set of switching, but again not sure how bad the cheaper ones effect the sound.

Optical switchers on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tical+switcher

Best bet may be a USB soundcard for the PC that has a coaxial output. At least that way you can read reviews and find one with good sound quality.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Just looking at the release notes, 1.2.5 was pretty close to end of updates and nothing past it would effect the sound any. The biggest thing is not losing all your settings during certain brownout situations, but other then that I'm not sure how much time/money I would put into trying to update it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• BlackbirdM3
            • Jan 2018

So I got my cable from Rotel, got the USB adapter, and I can't seem to talk to the 1067. I tried doing and EPROM update, and I kept running into communication error. I tried all 4 com ports, and none would work. I tried doing the software update, but again the computer couldn't talk to the unit. I'm guessing its the RS232 adapter. I bought a Belkin, but I'm not sure what the deal is. Its a UART USB adapter. Not sure whats going on here.

Will

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

What com port did it take? Need to go into system device properties. A lot of times the adapters go to of ports (com11, com9, etc) need to manual assign it to 1-4.

Kevin D.

Comment

• BlackbirdM3
                • Jan 2018

I tried it on COM4, which is on the left side of the computer. I told it COM4, had it plugged into COM4, and it still wouldn't talk to it. I'll try it again at a later date when I have time to futz with it.

Will

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

I tried it on COM4, which is on the left side of the computer. I told it COM4, had it plugged into COM4, and it still wouldn't talk to it. I'll try it again at a later date when I have time to futz with it.

Will
                  I may be misunderstanding your post or showing my age, but com ports are based on physical IRQ ports. These are old school ports and have no bearing on USB ports are where they are located on your computer.

So Windows just creates virtual com ports when you plug that adapter in. These are usually way out of the range that ever existed (com 11, 14, etc).

You need to go into system settings and tell Windows to use traditional com settings. Ie, tell the USB driver to use com 1, then pick com 1 in the update software.

Comment

• BlackbirdM3
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    I may be misunderstanding your post or showing my age, but com ports are based on physical IRQ ports. These are old school ports and have no bearing on USB ports are where they are located on your computer.

So Windows just creates virtual com ports when you plug that adapter in. These are usually way out of the range that ever existed (com 11, 14, etc).

You need to go into system settings and tell Windows to use traditional com settings. Ie, tell the USB driver to use com 1, then pick com 1 in the update software.
                    You can find the COM port as a USB. I think its an msconfig thing. I found a way to figure out what com port is what. In the case of my computer, I have 3 USBs, a card reader and the CDrom that are apparently all seen as COM ports. In my case, the USBs are COMS 4,5,6. Since the Rotel only understands up to COM4, that means I have to plug the USB cord into the front USB port on the left side (COM4) and then it should work. I tried this, but it didn't seem like it wanted to communicate with the Rotel however.

When I have time again, I'll pull the receiver out and give it another try.

Will

Comment

• Fishy
                      • Jul 2004

If you go into device manager, select the USB Serial device and you should be able to force it to a lower COM port.

Fish

Comment

• mcguire414
                        • Jan 2019

Thanks,
                        Will
                        I had the same problem. Rotel does have the correct cable input. It looks just like the Ethernet plug in but it varies a bit. Since you can't plug it into a port on your computer take it to Office Depot to get a adapter. That did the trick.

Comment

• mcguire414
                          • Jan 2019

I had the same problem. Rotel does have the part that you need however the end of it looks like the plug for connecting a printer. After I received the part from Rotel I took it to Office Depot. The had the adapter to plug it into the usb port.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"