No more RS28A's, not sure what to build now?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

No more RS28A's, not sure what to build now?

I was considering building the NatP's and a WTMW center but it seems the RS28's are all discontinued and not being sold anymore. I've been going back and forth on buying vs building. I'm getting tired of my Pioneer towers and been missing my old DIY speakers. Have been looking at either buying a pair of SVS Ultra Bookshelves and Ultra Center but then like I said I was tempted to just go for the NatP's cause I've heard them and they are pretty amazing for their price. But now with the lack of RS28's a ton of the DIY designs in the forums are gone. So I'm looking for suggestions I guess

Looking for a MTM or TM with a matching center (prefer WMTW center but would settle for any center that matches). I was thinking maybe the Modular MTM's but haven't seen a center channel with matching drivers I don't think. I know there is a Modula MTM Center although it uses different drivers? I imagine it still matches decently. Honestly I'd be pretty happy with just some larger TM's and a good center though. Be nice if they used PE cabinets too, I don't currently have space to build much (although I will soon). I really wanted to build something of Jon's but outside the NatP's his designs are mostly quite expensive lol.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Seems there is the DC28F but kind of doubting it's a drop in for the RS28.

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

I did Jon's Modula MTM which has the Seas 27TDFC tweeter, very happy with the way they sound. Incidentally I'm thinking about putting them up for sale ..... running out of room at the inn as it where. PM me if you do decide on buying vs building.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

• Scottg
          • Nov 2006

..it's not aluminum, but it should be pretty much equal:

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah, but we'd need crossover tweaks of all the designs, and if that's the case might be better off with something else.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

The new RS28's will be entering production soon. Early reports are very encouraging.

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

So they are going to be returning? I wonder if they will differ much, all I had seen was that they were discontinued.

Also wonder how long we'll have to wait.... I was hoping that late feb/march I'd be able to get something new built/bought.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

The original projection by PE was February. I don't have any info regarding that. From what I hear, they're on track.

Jim
                  Last edited by Jim Holtz; 18 January 2018, 10:20 Thursday.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well that's good news at least.

Comment

• fish fingers
                      • Apr 2015

At CES

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Scottg
                        • Nov 2006

..those look more like a Ciare design than a Scanspeak.

-and wow, those carbon dome mid.s look really nice! (..almost want to pair it up with the terribly expensive Morel carbon fiber drivers - just for the aesthetic.)

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Hmm, So guessing they won't be drop in replacements.

Comment

• Scottg
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            Hmm, So guessing they won't be drop in replacements.
                            -it's a guess, but probably not.

I still think your closest alternative is the Usher - which was likely made in the same factory. I think it would need some modest alteration to the crossover however, so probably not a true drop-in replacement. ops:

Note: the 28A apparently differed over time with production, with older versions having ferofluid like the Usher. Here are very similar measurements (conducted in a similar manner) with old 28A and the Usher:

Old 28A:

Usher:

The alteration in sensitivity looks mostly from differing Impedances - with a 5.3 ohm value in the crossover range for the Usher vs. the 4 ohms for the Dayton. The magnitude of the resonance and higher up in freq. for the Usher results in wider Impedance "swings".

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"