Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

Ardent Repository?

A suggestion more than anything ..... for one of the moderator folks? Since so many folks are or have built the Ardent's, would it be worth storing all the builds in one location? Between all the great information by Bob, Ron, Jon, TEK, Ben, Darrel ..... you get the idea. Each has some great ideas and there's a lot of stuff that's getting spread out to wade through to find it.
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Gee, Steve, looks like you're looking for more work for me to do!

Seriously, that's actually an interesting idea; how I would suggest fulfilling it would be to have an Ardent devoted thread that is like a mini version of the HT Guide to completed speaker designs, but just focused on a not to brief/not too long summary of each build, and with some of the history about how Darell and Ben helped me kick off the Wavecor Ardent from the original. I could probably copy select posts, or excerpt graphics and pics.

Is this what you have in mind?

The only problem is me finding the time to do it... between our Application Engineering team at work in my group being down 40% in head count, and the ongoing situation with Beverly in Hospice and needing to get all my stuff out of there while also supporting ongoing operations there, to say I'm overbooked is a grand understatement. I just yesterday unpacked the china and flatware I ordered from Amazon, because I don't have time to go digging through my storage unit to find what I'd put away; and when I say unpacked. that means took out one large plate, one salad plate, one bowl, one cup, and put the rest away in the cupboard to deal with later. Same with the flatware...

BTW, nice stuff at reasonable price, Dansk Fjord dishes, Oneida Moda flat ware. (don't tell GF but I do prefer it, to her more traditional stuff, because I am a Danish modern kind of guy, for having been brought up in Oklahoma and East Texas...)
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

At this point just having links to the different builds would be nice ..... something elaborate could come later. For example over the last few days I've wanted to look at crossover layouts from Ron, facet cuts by Bob, and Ben's PSA veneer ..... all those different threads are buried. Yes, they can be found, but having a central starting point would be helpful, IMO.

Comment

• ergo
        • Mar 2005

This is something I tried to do with the OneNote document . Hope that opens in browser for everyone?

As long as willing parties have or are willing to create Microsoft accounts I could add people to the list and give the right to edit it.... thats just one other option how to go about it.

I am planning to start documenting my progress once the build starts. I have not started yet as I will need to do the work out in garage that is not permanently heated and at moment we are down to -9c ie 15.8 Fahrenheit which is a bit chilly

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Ergo, your contributions have been a big help, and what I might look into doing, with your permission, is setting up/copying some of that content to a managed thread here; I'd like to follow the idea that we figure out a structure ahed of creating it, and say, at least for now, the three of us agree on how to structure it and what needs to be in it (more inputs from Steve, who is also obviously on the frontlines right now, then I can setup the thread with all the key posts outlined and go in and edit and fill them in as I can fine time.

Other suggestions are welcome, of course.

Ergo, many of our East Coast members might welcome a heat wave like yours with only -9C to deal with....

One friend in upstate NY has sent me regular pictures of the thermometer outside her kitchen window during the first week in January of -20 to -24... F.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
            • Mar 2005

You have my full permission to use anything useful in the document as it is all originally from the forum and it's users anyway

Yeah I've seen news about the extreme cold on US side also. For us it's been this cold only for about a week. Before that we had temp around freezing point most of Nov/Dec which is warmer than usual... We were thinking that North America seems to have punch of the cold we suppose to get. I guess it's starting to move back over the ocean.

Comment

• Steve Manning
              • Dec 2006

Ergo your One Note document is a major help and this is more of what I'm talking about, one has to remember where to go find it. If we had it and other stuff centrally located, you get a one stop shop kind of deal, search times would be reduced considerably. I know I live in a make believe world. :W

We might also want to limit a general dumping of comments in this to reduce the clutter.

Comment

• dar47
                • Nov 2008

What ever you guys decide, if someone makes the form in One note, I move our pics and stuff to it.

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Great suggestion Steve!

As you already have put your head out, may I suggest that you make a thread that references all the other threads/builds as well as ergo’s document.
                  Then Jon or one of the other moderators could just make that thread a sticky. I for one for sure think that the Ardents does deserve to have their own sticky thread!
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Sounds like a plan TEK ..... I will then ask of all you Ardent builders, can you post links to your individual builds in this thread to get things started ..... we already have Ergo's document!

Comment

• TEK
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

My build thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...h-center-build
                      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Steve Manning
                        • Dec 2006

Adding some of the builds ....

The official thread ..... http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=ardent

Ron's build ..... http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=ardent

Bob's build ..... http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=ardent

Bob's Poor Man's build ..... http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...sign-and-build

The Wavecor Ardent Journel ..... http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=ardent

With the addition of TEK's and Ergo's stuff I think this is a good start of the links. Does anyone see one's that I've missed?

Comment

• TEK
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

-TEK

Comment

• kvardas
                            • Dec 2005

Kris' Wavecor Ardent build

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wavecor Ardent2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	863462Click image for larger version

Name:	Wavecor Ardent.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	863461

Sapele Pommele veneer. Hoping to complete driver installation this weekend for a major listening session. I suspect these will be a step up from my M8tas. Thanks Jon!

Comment

• JoeAngelicchio
                              • Oct 2006

Wow, looks great!!!

Comment

• BobEllis
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Nice, Kris. Another build that makes me want to redo my veneer.

Comment

• dar47
                                  • Nov 2008

Very nice, you kinda just slid that in there almost complete very stealthy of you,:T

That finish looks great how many coats on them?

Comment

• kvardas
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dar47
                                    Very nice, you kinda just slid that in there almost complete very stealthy of you,:T

That finish looks great how many coats on them?
                                    Thanks for the kind words. I outsourced the veneering and finishing to a craftsman in Nipomo, California named Ken Frye. He applied three coats of amber shellac and then four coats of a waterbased polyurethane.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kvardas
                                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]28146[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28145[/ATTACH]

Sapele Pommele veneer. Hoping to complete driver installation this weekend for a major listening session. I suspect these will be a step up from my M8tas. Thanks Jon!
                                      Marvelous! :T

I love it when I come across new Ardent builds that I didn't know anything about... I think you'll be very happy with these, Kris! Kudo's on the job you've done with the cabinets! They look very nice!

Did you take any pictures in process? We'd love to see some of those, too!
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kvardas
                                        • Dec 2005

See construction pics below. I just used sheets of MDFs. I cut the facets by hand and then handplaned to flatten the surfaces and create crisp edges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0107.JPG
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	863493Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	863494Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	863491Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	863492Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	863495

These speakers sound great, especially when playing DSD and 24/192 files through my music server/DAC.
                                        Last edited by kvardas; 12 March 2018, 20:12 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"