Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Here is Kef's Ref 5 measurements. Looking at on-axis and early reflections, looks very similar to my result in post 85 or 88:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SwXvs5h.png
Views:	305
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	935002
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:51 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• ergo
      • Mar 2005

Great work Brandon! The result of the better versions look very good indeed and should produce some nicely balanced directivity of the final speakers. The results do confirm again though that this subject needs a lot of trial error to get right. KEF guys use some hard core computer simulations to come up with stuff like the tangerine waveguide, but getting this close to similar performance with hobby level tools is great achievement.

Also thanks a lot for sharing the F360 model. You've used some new techniques to form these which I found interesting and useful

I've been off speaker building topics (building decking and roofing instead) Just today I received a note though that the Prusa 3D printer finally started to move towards Estonia. So that and coming autumn/winter period will hopefully boost the hobby activity again eventually.

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Thanks Ergo! Yeah I should have some fun designs for you to print and play with! I have three 8" guides being made right now, all elliptical. Hopefully what I've learned so far scales up in size, would make every size after very easy.

I'm really liking F360. It's such an art finding clean and elegant ways to design that will be amenable to changes later without having to build the whole thing again.
        ~Brandon 8O
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

Big update! This will be my last as the money to go on has run out. This is a big data dump as I haven't gone over it for trends, so I could use members help here to tease out best practices. I have several variants of the 5" guide including a shallower 1/2" deep version. I end with two 8" waveguides.

Name:	CnrqdNZ.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	934148

Above I had mentioned that a waveguide between "A" and "C" should be ideal. Here is that waveguide "E" with and without phase shield:

Name:	ZTyuR6M.png
Views:	312
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	934149

Name:	kSSj1hn.png
Views:	300
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	934150

Name:	nOfOJ50.png
Views:	297
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	934151

Early on I had discovered the terminals on the tweeter sometimes kept it from sealing against the back of the waveguide. So I wanted to try a thin shim to get a good seal. Here is that result with a .03" thick shim:

Name:	UKWwOVI.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	934152

Name:	K2uMH4I.png
Views:	295
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	934153

I wasn't sure if the difference was due to sealing or because the ever-critical throat geometry changed, but figured trying a thicker shim might shed some light on that. Here results using a .06" and .09" shim:

Name:	O9Q6kSx.png
Views:	292
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	934154

Name:	xGfh1Ot.png
Views:	288
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	934155

Now the phase shield is moving away from the dome as increase the shim, so in the spirit of good scientific method I felt I needed to measure with the phase shield back closer to the dome. Now this is not back to default distance since I had to cut the phase shield off and then using some bluetac moving it closer to the dome about 1/16".So it is close to default but not exact:

Name:	ouL9CkW.png
Views:	293
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	934156

Name:	z5oB3MP.png
Views:	289
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	934157

On the no-phase-shield version I did only one measurement with the .06" shim, I'll try to get others if I have time:

Name:	mPc9In0.png
Views:	281
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	934158

My attempts with an occluded surround have been poor but the last version I made the throat smaller, terminating above teh former of the diaphragm where the earlier version terminated above the surround. I went back to that larger, more promising throat here:

Name:	l54h072.png
Views:	283
ID:	934159

Name:	WFDgn61.png
Views:	274
ID:	934160

Here is the shallower 1/2" deep guides. The first is simply a shallower version of the earlier A,C,E type of guide:

Name:	TDocdjD.png
Views:	277
ID:	934161

Name:	LbKXyfg.png
Views:	277
ID:	934162

As I go shallower, or much wider -like the 8" guides- the horn curve radius gets larger and/or the throat entry angle gets wider. Smaller radius and narrower (@80 degree) throat angles seemed better from earlier experiments. To accomplish that I tried the elliptical profile of the horn wall again. Here is that result for the 5 x .5" guide, I have not had the 8" version printed unfortunately. Both with and without phase shield:

Name:	EIFrwMz.png
Views:	276
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	934163

Name:	CdSbuUB.png
Views:	273
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	934164

And finally the 8"-ers! One is 1" deep, the other 1.5". With and without phase shield, and tried a few shims.

Name:	kG0e57c.png
Views:	266
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	934165

Here is the 1" deep guide:

Name:	ARguOpV.png
Views:	263
ID:	934166

Name:	bKRY904.png
Views:	259
ID:	934167

Name:	u9sF4fh.png
Views:	256
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	934168

Name:	Xga7bYd.png
Views:	251
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	934169

And the 1.5" deep one:

Name:	QmhLDQ1.png
Views:	242
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	934170

Name:	WjEb5e9.png
Views:	245
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	934171

Name:	dg7kM2m.png
Views:	233
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	934172

Name:	eTf1Lz1.png
Views:	232
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	934173

The shims have a clear result worth investigating. Phase shields pretty much always have an advantage, but this has narrowed since going strictly to elliptical waveguides. Other things worth studying are how some of these features effect the directivity in the top octave, how the resonant peak is knocked down or amplified (I'm talking 20-23khz, at 24khz the soundcard cutoff causes all sorts of spurious spikes so ignore that), and the effect on mid-band smoothness (for example look at the 40 degree measurement across designs, some are straight and quite smooth, others very curved and/or bumpy). I hope to keep going, I think some designs are already the equal, if not better, than the Kef and Revel posted above.
          Last edited by theSven; 30 April 2023, 22:07 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Here are results for the SB26 5" waveguide version F, and the SB19ST 5" waveguide version A. I'll get the TW29RN and N26CA out over the next couple days.

SB26ADC:

Name:	RQTEH7R.png
Views:	225
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	935003

Name:	VbQ3f6q.png
Views:	216
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	935004

The midband is much smoother over previous results due to the .02" lip I incorporated after shims and putty showed the faceplate was not sealing well against the mouth of the waveguide:

Name:	hJ3cuVx.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	935005

Speaking of sealing, in actual use you want to seal a couple gaps on the tweeter that do not seal like you might expect. I would use blue tack putty, easy on ,easy off:

Name:	sfAqAsz.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	935006

The SB19ST:

Name:	W12TVOL.png
Views:	194
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	935007

Name:	e3DHIlH.png
Views:	187
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	935008

Unsurprisingly the phase shield was slightly worse with a fabric dome. OTOH I didn't expect that on axis dip even without phase shield. I believe the shape of the dome requires another look at throat angles as this a small diameter but tall dome. Nearly a 180 degree hemisphere. I'm *guessing* I need to relax the throat angle some.

One thing I've noticed so far is that everything looks much better on the 8" waveguides (results coming soon). I guess I assumed that a little waveguide would cause little problems, but that does not appear to be the case. In fact just going to say, 6" wide waveguides might solve a lot of the top octave issues I've had to solve. But I had to start somewhere!
            Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:52 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• ergo
              • Mar 2005

Your result keep getting better and better - great work !

My past experiment have all also indicated that the 'bigger bulge' of the soft tweeter dome gives troubles for waveguide use and the metal domes with lesser bulge less so. The XT25 dual ring radiator seemed have least issues with the throat matching, but that type of tweeter has other issues that are avoided with a good hard dome.

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Ergo> have you done anymore work on your own waveguides?
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• ergo
                  • Mar 2005

That topic has been in hibernation along with the snowy winter around here I have the Prusa 3D printer up and running and I've practised with that by making vacuum hose fitting, handles for a saw, and misc other bits and pieces. I'm hoping to get back to both Ardent build and waveguide topics as spring comes along. It's time to put Prusa though a trial in printing a full WG just to see what comes out.

Comment

• augerpro
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006

Cool. Let me know and I'll send one of the latest designs instead of that older one you have.
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008

Dredging this up from hibernation to say "Thanks!" to Brandon. This is true yeoman's work, and the fact that it is focused on the SB26ADC may help me out a lot. Truly exceptional work!
                      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• ergo
                        • Mar 2005

BlieSMa T34B-4 in 165mm diameter waveguide

Finally got around to doing some waveguide work. Thanks to Brandon for all the inspiration that helped push to get around to doing this.

Anyhow
                        The driver: BlieSMa T34B-4
                        Waveguide: 165mm diameter - profile is a section of a radius of bigger circle. Printed on Prusa i3 MK2.5 - 0.2mm layer with linear advance, material PETG
                        Test baffle - 220mm x 700mm baffle as intended for the final project (2.5way with 2x Satori MW16P)

Test conditions:
                        Mic to baffle distance for off axis measurements: 600mm
                        Mic to baffle distance for THD: 315mm ( to be compatible with hificompass.com test

Name:	WG_for_Bliesma.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	863890Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring_holder+tw.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	863891Click image for larger version

Name:	WG+Bliesma.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	863892Click image for larger version

Name:	Bliesma_test_setup.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	863893

Comment

• Zvu
                          • Oct 2013

Now that's awesome. You're having so much fun guys
                          Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• ergo
                            • Mar 2005

CLIO output signal had an High Pass at 250Hz just in case (I did not want to kill my friends driver)

First a 0 to 60deg plots with relative wide dB range to make it similar to Brandon's SoundEasy measurement plots

Name:	0to60deg_highDR.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	863894

Then a 0 to 100deg with 20dB less scale in vertical

Name:	0to100deg.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	863895

And this is the 3.9uF capacitor added in series with driver to create a HP

Name:	0to180_3.9u_in_series.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	863896

THD at 1.41V input (mic at 315mm)

Name:	1.41V.jpg
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	863897

THD at 2V input (mic at 315mm)

Name:	2V.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	863898

Comment

• ergo
                              • Mar 2005

In the off axis plots above I've chosen the 20deg off axis curve as reference - so that one appears a bit bolder. With Modula 2 ways this is about the way I listened to those - never turned them to exactly point to the ear. Soundstage seemed better that way

Also as seen there is no phase shiuld in front of the dome. Decided to try without and seems it is ok as is as the response is very smooth in 10..20k range where that would probably influence most. But maybe it would influnece the ca 7.6k small dimple... maybe I'll try to print one still.

Overall not bad result for a first guess try.... but this first guess has a lot of pre work from Brandon in it of course.

Comment

• ergo
                                • Mar 2005

I did one more version based on the old MCM waveguide profile we once used on Modula MT mkII

4mm deeper, but I guess due to profile being similar the difference is very small indeed.

Name:	WG ver1 vs ver2(MCM) + MidW + pics.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	863920

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

Sorry for the absence, working a ton the last few months. But the good news is I've started a new website somasonus.net to host all my DIY stuff. It's barren right now, but I have posted the best of the waveguides with downloadable CAD files for 3D printing or CNC. Let me know if anything renders weird on the website, it really changes depending on what device I'm on.
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• dwk
                                    • Apr 2005

Cool. I've downloaded a couple of your files, but haven't done anything with them yet :-( . I 'think' I really want to try a MW13P + SB21 waveguide as the MT in a 3-way, but may not be able to scare up the time to do the design.

Have you collected any formal(ish) designs using your waveguides?

BTW - I'm still in 'Denver' (actually way SE) and have a Monoprice Ultimate and a 6040 CNC if you're looking for some local support. Your Statement Monitors are still sounding great in the theater space - I managed to score a Statement Center from the PE forum to round out the front stage.

Comment

• augerpro
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by dwk
                                      Cool. I've downloaded a couple of your files, but haven't done anything with them yet :-( . I 'think' I really want to try a MW13P + SB21 waveguide as the MT in a 3-way, but may not be able to scare up the time to do the design.

Have you collected any formal(ish) designs using your waveguides?

BTW - I'm still in 'Denver' (actually way SE) and have a Monoprice Ultimate and a 6040 CNC if you're looking for some local support. Your Statement Monitors are still sounding great in the theater space - I managed to score a Statement Center from the PE forum to round out the front stage.
                                      These guys are using my waveguide with a Scanspeak tweeter. Not elliptical, but round, which reminds me, I forgot to put the round one up! The got killer pricing for CNCing in aluminum.

What kind of build volume is that CNC? I'd like to get a Shapeoko.
                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                      DriverVault
                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• dwk
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                                        These guys are using my waveguide with a Scanspeak tweeter. Not elliptical, but round, which reminds me, I forgot to put the round one up! The got killer pricing for CNCing in aluminum.

What kind of build volume is that CNC? I'd like to get a Shapeoko.
                                        the 6040 is a small/midrange machine. roughly 16"x22"x3.5" work volume. I am (slowly) building up a larger ~50"x32" setup of my own design, but I suspect it'll be next summer at the earliest before it's operational. It's at the 'rolling chassis' level at the moment, needing to get the rails leveled and secured, and the ballscrews mounted. I have a basic electronics kit as well. The main unknown at the moment is the Z axis assemble and potentially the spindle choice.

I have a bit of a budget for hobby stuff that will have to be split between audio and shop/cnc, and just picking up a shapeoko is an idea I return to occasionally. I ultimately don't think I can accept belt drive though, and an XXL is still not really the right work envelope - I think a 2'x4' style setup is more useful than the 32"x32" capacity of the xxl. I've also basically spent all the $$$ to get my design running and am limited by time and focus, so dropping almost $2k isn't terribly appealing.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dwk
                                          the 6040 is a small/midrange machine. roughly 16"x22"x3.5" work volume. I am (slowly) building up a larger ~50"x32" setup of my own design, but I suspect it'll be next summer at the earliest before it's operational. It's at the 'rolling chassis' level at the moment, needing to get the rails leveled and secured, and the ballscrews mounted. I have a basic electronics kit as well. The main unknown at the moment is the Z axis assemble and potentially the spindle choice.

I have a bit of a budget for hobby stuff that will have to be split between audio and shop/cnc, and just picking up a shapeoko is an idea I return to occasionally. I ultimately don't think I can accept belt drive though, and an XXL is still not really the right work envelope - I think a 2'x4' style setup is more useful than the 32"x32" capacity of the xxl. I've also basically spent all the $$$ to get my design running and am limited by time and focus, so dropping almost $2k isn't terribly appealing.
                                          I don't know if you have looked at them, but the I saved a considerable chunk of change when I built my machine from these guys. http://www.cncrouterparts.com/index.php
                                          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• dwk
                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                            I don't know if you have looked at them, but the I saved a considerable chunk of change when I built my machine from these guys. http://www.cncrouterparts.com/index.php
                                            Oh, very familiar with them. They're reasonably priced compared to big industrial machines, but for hobbiests on a budget they're something of a 'cadillac' solution. A 2x4 with linear rails from CNCRP runs $3500 I think, and even their 'bearings on steel' version is $2500. I think I'm into my project for about $1k so far, and will probably be looking at another $500 to finish depending on spindle choice. If I had any intention of making money with the machine, the I'd agree that CNCRP is a great path, but for someone like me where it's just for fun and will likely sit idle way too much of the time, it's tougher to justify.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dwk
                                              Oh, very familiar with them. They're reasonably priced compared to big industrial machines, but for hobbiests on a budget they're something of a 'cadillac' solution. A 2x4 with linear rails from CNCRP runs $3500 I think, and even their 'bearings on steel' version is $2500. I think I'm into my project for about $1k so far, and will probably be looking at another $500 to finish depending on spindle choice. If I had any intention of making money with the machine, the I'd agree that CNCRP is a great path, but for someone like me where it's just for fun and will likely sit idle way too much of the time, it's tougher to justify.
                                              I hear you there, some of these machines get crazy expensive in a hurry. They were a good option for me and saved me at least $6K being able to build it myself. Still rather painful though.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2006

Goodies starting arrive:

Name:	7Wjvqu4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	935009

Name:	I30IJrk.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	935010

6.5" wide and 1.2" inch deep. I love this SLS nylon. Defect free finishes, if a bit sandpapery. Super tough.
                                                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:53 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                DriverVault
                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Ok first results are SB26 5" version H. It doesn't get much better, so I'm calling the 5" done. Note whether a phase shield is included.

Name:	VTuZqQP.png
Views:	170
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	935011

Name:	m2DqOUB.png
Views:	172
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	935012

Name:	zeUn35A.png
Views:	164
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	935013

Name:	DWQudl4.png
Views:	163
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	935014

Name:	Z7eMDCo.png
Views:	170
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	935015

For fun I wanted to go with a more round mouth, so here is a 5" but with mouth aspect ratio of 1:.80

Name:	s2fx8KY.png
Views:	162
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	935016

Name:	vq2cXNZ.png
Views:	166
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	935017

Name:	Q2NEvhI.png
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	935018

Name:	Rd6b2hb.png
Views:	164
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	935019

Name:	Uh9nRlV.png
Views:	159
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	935020

Not really anything to gain. But I will try a strictly circular mouth just to be sure I didn't go down the wrong path when went with elliptical mouths early on when the first circular mouths weren't very good.

Now the Bliesma T25B tweeter. I really like that the best response are without phase shield. I did a 5" with my normal 1:.618 aspect ratio mouth and another using 1:.80, two 6" of varying depth, and one 6.5".

Name:	mRLsuFx.png
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	935021

Name:	I6pfZ0F.png
Views:	126
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	935022

Name:	2xkmuE7.png
Views:	160
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	935023

Name:	8w0hOpi.png
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	935024

Name:	7FiqDrl.png
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	935025

Name:	rHkt47u.png
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	935026

Name:	uGje8gj.png
Views:	154
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	935027

Name:	iQHBxmB.png
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	935028

Name:	cpIg3NP.png
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	935029

Name:	1d3Kvfo.png
Views:	158
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	935030

A note about the high frequency spike @48khz: this is a combination of the mic calibration no longer being very accurate and the math of the FFT. None of these tweeters actually spike the high.
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:56 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2008

Ok first results are SB26 5" version H. It doesn't get much better, so I'm calling the 5" done. Note whether a phase shield is included.
                                                    Am I missing something or does the phase shield only seem to help the SB26ADC above 15kHz and beyond 30* off axis? I'd expect the phase shield to make the tweeter seem less bright, but my eyeball isn't translating the chart into a more practical effect.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2006

Sometimes using just the 0 and 40 degree measurements are little clearer. Here are the Bliesma T25B results.

Name:	3TkIMx8.png
Views:	165
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	935031

Name:	6w1JbWp.png
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	935032

Name:	zUF36OH.png
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	935033

Name:	Nov6NhV.png
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	935034

Name:	boaP5Ro.png
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	935035

Name:	tp5cGux.jpg
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	935036
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:57 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                      DriverVault
                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Bear
                                                        Am I missing something or does the phase shield only seem to help the SB26ADC above 15kHz and beyond 30* off axis? I'd expect the phase shield to make the tweeter seem less bright, but my eyeball isn't translating the chart into a more practical effect.
                                                        It hasn't been that case in previous results, but in this particular waveguide, yeah, not much difference between the two.
                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                        DriverVault
                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                          • Oct 2008

Goodies starting arrive:

Click image for larger version  Name:	7Wjvqu4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.3 KB ID:	935009

Click image for larger version  Name:	I30IJrk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.8 KB ID:	935010

6.5" wide and 1.2" inch deep. I love this SLS nylon. Defect free finishes, if a bit sandpapery. Super tough.

That last photo puts these things in perspective....

These are quite large!

Beautiful quality though. Are you using the 3D print to silicone mold and cast from ABS?
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• augerpro
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2006

No, these are SLS nylon prints from a commercial vendor. A laser fuses powdered nylon together. Similar to SLS resin, but powder instead of liquid and MUCH stronger. Can't wait until this technology is available to hobbyists, but that might be a few years.

BTW the T25B is quite a small tweeter, almost automotive size.
                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                            DriverVault
                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2008

It hasn't been that case in previous results, but in this particular waveguide, yeah, not much difference between the two.
                                                              And yet again: thanks!! I may look at a new round of prints. How much trouble was it to remove the grill from the Bliesma? I'd assume that the Al version works similarly to the Be version, but that may be an inference too far.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Bear
                                                                And yet again: thanks!! I may look at a new round of prints. How much trouble was it to remove the grill from the Bliesma? I'd assume that the Al version works similarly to the Be version, but that may be an inference too far.
                                                                Very easy, just gently pry the screen off. It uses some sticky substance to stay in place. Easy to put back on.
                                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                                DriverVault
                                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2006

I've started a gofundme for this project now that I'll have to depend on commercial printers. Initial goal is for finalizing designs for the SB21 and SB26 families, and continuing development for the Bliesma T25B. Fundraiser: Waveguides for CNC and 3D printing!
                                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                                  DriverVault
                                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

I'm not seeing version H on your website. Am I just missing it? Given that the phase shields have not stood the test of time on my earlier prints, I'd like to go ahead and get a fresh pair printed without the phase shield.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2006

I was going to put it up on my site after a series of test prints with my 3D printer to make sure even hobbyist printers will do well with the design. Those tests resulted in a couple tweaks for a final version J that I need to measure and verify first.
                                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                                      DriverVault
                                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2008

I was going to put it up on my site after a series of test prints with my 3D printer to make sure even hobbyist printers will do well with the design. Those tests resulted in a couple tweaks for a final version J that I need to measure and verify first.
                                                                        Cool! Thanks for the diligence and rigor!

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                          • 1866

Might be making big jump forward in waveguide design. I started using mabat's ATH program to generate the files that ABEC uses to simulate waveguides, including a representation of the tweeter diaphragm itself as acoustic source! Here are the simulated results of the T25B in ABEC, followed by my actual measurements:

Name:	jVcDXp9.png
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	935037

Name:	2xkmuE7.png
Views:	161
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	935038

BTW: I believe the off axis hump @ 15khz is the natural response of the tweeter itself, so not captured by the ABEC sim. I've measured the domes of the T25B, SB26ADC/CDC, SB21SBC, and Dayton RST28A. If all works out well, it might be nothing more than sim once, print once.
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                                          DriverVault
                                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• ergo
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 675

This looks like a very good match between model and reality indeed. I've looked briefly into ABEK several times too, but it's always looked like much more time is needed to learn it enough to get any results. Superb that you are making that leap. Community as a whole will benefit for sure, so thanks a lot for the efforts

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2006
                                                                              • 1866

SB26ADC on my 5" x .75" deep vH waveguide, simmed vs measured:

Name:	RgvWf29.png
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	935039

Name:	VTuZqQP.png
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	935040
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 13:59 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              ~Brandon 8O
                                                                              DriverVault
                                                                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2008
                                                                                • 1038

SB26ADC on my 5" x .75" deep vH waveguide, simmed vs measured
                                                                                It looks like the signal level below 2kHz is holding up better than predicted. This is at 2.83v or a bit lower? Also, is there a chance to include the distortion in there as well?

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2006
                                                                                  • 1866

Test baffle effect maybe? This starts to show up <4khz in this size waveguide anyway.
                                                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                  DriverVault
                                                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2006
                                                                                    • 1866

More Bliesma T25B and SB26 results! Reminder these are 7ms of clean signal, no smoothing. Depending on waveguide size, baffle diffraction starts to show up @ 3-4khz. Basically if you see the responses getting wavy and crossing each other as you move off axis, baffle diffraction is showing up and the waveguide is losing pattern control.

Name:	rcqGGHm.png
Views:	167
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	935041

Name:	Am6IlkN.png
Views:	157
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	935042

Name:	f7gpD7i.png
Views:	156
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	935043

Name:	kIVQb5k.png
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	935044

Name:	H0c1w8v.png
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	935045

Name:	HFQxVRr.png
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	935046

Name:	st14OGp.png
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	935047

Name:	IyTxE7G.png
Views:	151
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	935048

Name:	AsSlwzP.png
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	935049

Name:	dIFKiZ2.png
Views:	155
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	935050

Name:	SCc6AI8.png
Views:	156
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	935051

Name:	n7VVveH.png
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	935052

Name:	DLqFrkF.png
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	935053

Name:	Nkx9DUQ.png
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	935054

Name:	CNM1BMA.png
Views:	155
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	935055

Name:	zNY6w3x.png
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	935056

Name:	bjWWO34.png
Views:	150
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	935057

Name:	IsNZqOa.png
Views:	149
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	935058
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 14:01 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                    DriverVault
                                                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2006
                                                                                      • 1866

Prints from my new Ender 3 Pro are pretty good. Everything is reasonably smooth, the contrast makes the layers pop more than they really are:

​​​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	qFVCSt7.jpg
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	935059
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 14:02 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                      DriverVault
                                                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 1879

Prints from my new Ender 3 Pro are pretty good. Everything is reasonably smooth, the contrast makes the layers pop more than they really are:

​​​​​​​
                                                                                        Very cool Brandon. So out of curiosity, how long did it take to print that and can you easily sand out the ridges?
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 14:02 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                                          • 1866

Probably 30-ish hours. I don't know about sanding these things, it's all new to me. I think the current situation is if you must have a smooth finish either use a commercial outfit and print in SLS nylon, or use a CNC. As technology advances hobbyist 3D printers will also get pretty smooth, but it's not currently there as far as I can see. I mean you could try a tiny nozzle which would enable higher resolution in the slicer, but print time would get much longer. I should try a test with .02 nozzle.
                                                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                          DriverVault
                                                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2006
                                                                                            • 1866

Here is the Bliesma T25B on two waveguides with simple filtering applied, 0 and 40 degrees (which I find to be a quick and dirty proxy for power response or early reflections). Hopefully this is a cleaner display of the performance we're talking about.

Name:	lJFuFsP.png
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	935060

Name:	aU9Vnh2.png
Views:	148
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	935061

Name:	T6vQbsm.png
Views:	145
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	935062
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 14:03 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                            DriverVault
                                                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"