X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

New Raal 64-10 ribbon?

I just ran across some of Dennis Murphys, Vapor Audio etc. new speakers that are using a new less expensive Raal ribbon. Does anyone have any info or measurements on the 64-10?

Thanks!

Jim
  • Paul K.
    • Jul 2008

Jim, I assume you're referring to the Raal tweeters with a round faceplate and I think that this tweeter is only available to OEMs. Maybe it will eventually become generally available.
    Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
    I just ran across some of Dennis Murphys, Vapor Audio etc. new speakers that are using a new less expensive Raal ribbon. Does anyone have any info or measurements on the 64-10?

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Paul K.
      Jim, I assume you're referring to the Raal tweeters with a round faceplate and I think that this tweeter is only available to OEMs. Maybe it will eventually become generally available.
      Paul
      Hi Paul,

Yes, that's the one. I'd like to see measurements on it but I haven't found any yet. I hope some of the "connected" folks that hang around here might have some they could share.

See you at Iowa DIY this year?

Jim

Comment

• Paul K.
        • Jul 2008

As to Iowa DIY this year, no, I don't plan to attend. My wife, after coming along in 2013 to help with the driving, said that was her first and last time, and my former co-driver, Dan Neubecker, hasn't been interested for several years. It's a 10-hour drive and I can't to that by myself all in one day going or returning. I'd have to add two days if I drove it by myself in order to keep time on the road reasonable. I'm really going to try and make it somehow in 2017, however.
        Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, that's the one. I'd like to see measurements on it but I haven't found any yet. I hope some of the "connected" folks that hang around here might have some they could share.

See you at Iowa DIY this year?

Jim

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

It's been awhile since I've visited here and I just noticed this thread. The 64-10 is OEM only and I had a chance recently to hear it in a design by another company. It's a nice tweeter and lower in cost than the rest of the line. In order to reduce the cost the ribbon element isn't replaceable and it crosses higher than the other models. I think were some savings applied in the magnetics which is crucial to a ribbon's performance.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Thanks for the feedback Rick! I appreciate it!

Jim

Comment

• Dennis Murphy
              • Aug 2005

Thanks for the feedback Rick! I appreciate it!

Jim
              Hi Jim -- Long time no communicate. I was just directed to one of your other threads and noticed you were asking about the 64-10. It's definitely OEM. From a pure frequency response standpoint, it measures beautifully--just as well as the other RAAL's. However, I don't like to use it below around 3300 Hz. Harmonic distortion spikes up and it takes on a foggy quality. The only 2-way I offer mates it with the Revelator 5" woofer, which is smooth up to that point. There aren't a lot of woofers that can do that, so it doesn't have wide applicability in a 2-way design.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dennis Murphy
                Hi Jim -- Long time no communicate. I was just directed to one of your other threads and noticed you were asking about the 64-10. It's definitely OEM. From a pure frequency response standpoint, it measures beautifully--just as well as the other RAAL's. However, I don't like to use it below around 3300 Hz. Harmonic distortion spikes up and it takes on a foggy quality. The only 2-way I offer mates it with the Revelator 5" woofer, which is smooth up to that point. There aren't a lot of woofers that can do that, so it doesn't have wide applicability in a 2-way design.
                Hi Dennis,

It's good to hear from you. Yes it has been a long time since our paths crossed. I'm retired now and continuing to play with audio along with too many other hobbies I can't afford. 8O But, I am having fun. I've followed your commercial venture and work with Jim. As always everything you touch is impressive and has your signature voicing that I enjoy very much.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the 64-10. I did pick up a pair through some friends and have played with them but not done a proper evaluation so your thoughts are very much appreciated. 2-ways are not on my radar so that's not an issue. I have a "not yet announced" project that Curt just finished the crossover development on that uses an AC AST2560 AMT for the top end that Curt found to be really excellent and offer a much lower more flexible crossover point than the ribbons I love so much. I haven't heard it yet but he's impressed so I suspect I will be too.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on the 64-10. Its a very nice ribbon and reasonably priced for a Raal. I'll find a use for it one of these days. How about coming to your old stomping grounds at Grinnell this year for the Iowa DIY event? It's always an honor to have you join us.

BTW, what did I do in the other thread that caught your attention? 8O

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Jim can you tell me more about the new project? I used the AST2560 once for a very short time when I was comparing different drivers. Excellent tweeter. I think behaves better than anything I've ever worked with including the RS28A and Scan 9800. I actually have a dipole design in progress using it.
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Zvu
                    • Oct 2013

I measured it and listened to it lots of times with Scan Speak 15W8434 and Beyma SM115K. Measurements done with 4.7uF cap. Pics attached.

Sounds very good but you should not let it lower than 3.5KHz. Better than other ribbon tweeters in that price range (Fountek neo CD2). I'd use sharp filter for it. Due to very narrow ribbon the horizontal directivity is great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	862586 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	862587 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	862588

Last edited by Zvu; 24 January 2017, 11:15 Tuesday.
                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Zvu
                      • Oct 2013

Few more measurements. Midbass, tweeter and two-way on and off-axis 15 and 45 deg. X-over point at 3.2KHz

Click image for larger version

Name:	???-???????????.png
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	862589 Click image for larger version

Name:	??????????? ????-64-10.png
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	862590 Click image for larger version

Name:	????? ??? ???.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	862591
                      Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• NyxOne
                        • Jan 2008

Thanks for showing off your measurements!

Chuck

Comment

• Zvu
                          • Oct 2013

You're very welcome
                          Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"