X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Report back on stereo speaker voicing investigation

I've contacted a number of you individually, and we've had some brief side discussion in one of the Wavecor Ardent threads, but I thought I should bring this a little further out front in terms of explanation, experimentation and discussion. This is in regard to evaluating system voicing concepts to "naturalize" or "normalize" phantom stereo reproduction of wide range flat measuring loud speakers, which a variety of studies from Harmon and others have found sound more realistic to most listeners with some specific frequency response modifications.

Additional, several years go Sigfriend Linkwitz noted this same phenomena for is Orion dipole speakers and studied and evaluated some alternative curves. I've been interested in this concept for some time, but as the way things often go, just hadn't gotten around to trying it..

Just a couple of foils from the presentation I've sent around to a number of forum participants- contact me by PM if you'd like a copy of the full version emailed to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27433033364_a4f486f8c2_o.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	930765

Some specific EQ curves proposed and considered/evaluated by Linkwitz and associates

Name:	27433033154_67081ed624_o.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	930766

Passive circuit simulation and implementation for NAD M22 (or similar power amplifier with input impedance in the 100K range).

Name:	27944488472_05276b6197_o.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	930767

I have built a pair of these inline filters and inserted them between an AURALiC Preamp and NAD M22 power amplifier, plugging them into the power amp, and connecting the input cables to the inputs of the filter adapter.

I did a lot of listening yesterday evening, and sent a variety of comments to Steve Manning, which I'm just going to reproduce here. Ergo has also done a test of the concept, using LspCAD emulation function, and seems to find it very interesting, but I'll let him post what ever he wishes to rather than share our direct email communication, unless he gives me permission to do so.

Sent to Steve Manning:

I just finished the 2nd voicing pad adapter, and they're plugged in and working, along with a Roon software update on the SonicTransporter.

Interesting- more relaxing, and I'm hearing more low level instrument details in the mix on some Acoustic Alchemy cuts I'm listening to.

Everything is still there, but the tonal balance is conducive to turning it up louder...

I've got a bunch of cuts I want to try out.

Now I'm listening to Limehouse Blues from Jazz at the pawnshop- sounds more like live than a really nice recording. That is good.

Mystic Temple from Flute Dreams album. Detailed, but very natural sounding.

Allison Krause Live; Let me touch you for a while.

Allison Krause, Forget about it, title cut. This is working for me.

Ambrosia, Time waits for no one. Works very well on this cut/ much nicer tonal balance.

Anna Popovic; Can't stand the heat. Like this, too.

Animal Logic, There's a Spy in the house of love. Yup.

Avril Lavigne; Complicated- works very well on Pop- completely turns a lot of albums around.

Basia- Cruising for a bruising. Yup.

Beatles- I want you(she's so heavy). Yup.

Bruce Hornsby- Harbor lights- yup

Crusaders- Mercy, mercy, mercy. Yup

Curandero- Aras- title cut ; River; a little thick sounding

Courtyard Hounds- Skylines- yes

Dan Fogelberg- Leader of the band- yes

David Garfield- Josie- Yup, much better

Daria- Feel the Rhythm. Yup.

Poor Clare's- various- incl. NY Kirree Fo Naghtey
    Yup

Karen Matheson- Dark Alan- Yup

Moya Brennan- The Mighty One. Yup.

Robin Trower- Bridge of Sighs- Yes!

Spin Doctors- Two Princes- Yes!

Stanley Clarke Band- School Days. Bass-ic Collection Yes! Oh yes... Played it twice

Think I should lay out a small PCB for this...

Clarke, Di Meola, Ponty- Rite of Strings- Indigo- Yup!

Sarah McLachlan- Into the Fire, Yeah, oh YEAH!
    Must have been mastered with a pair of these... ;-)

This is quite interesting - some cuts/albums sound amazingly better with these filters in place- there's not necessarily a huge rhyme or reason to it, though sometimes there seems some logic-

Sheffield Harry James the King James Version sounds better than I've heard it in ages- that of course was a straight stereo mic recording. Sarah Maclachlan and Jonathan Brooke albums sound very good with the filter in place. Many others do. A few it makes sound a bit thick, but still pleasant enough. Might be better with just 1.5 or 1.8 dB.

I could imagine it might be ideal to have a switch to tweak the level- say, half the compensation for those albums that sound a bit thick.

Also might be interesting to build it into the Class D front end, with variable settings - full, half, and none. Same thing in an XLR adapter plug.

Have to think about this.

Howard Jones "No One is to Blame" sounds like was mixed with this, it sounds so spot on. Amazing.

And I find myself turning it up louder, because it sounds better.

For me, that is a good thing...
    Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:13 Sunday. Reason: Update image location and formatting
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Carl V
    • Apr 2005

interesting....
    I recall The SL write up and the Harmon writings.
    Some of their speakers do in fact of treble compensation
    Switches. Curious about the slope & knee of their contour.

What speakers were you using the Ardents, B&C or your smaller two ways?
    How close are you sitting? what sorta spl? Do you use 1st reflection acoustic trx?
    Toole & SL are a bit agnostic about that aspect. (8+ years ago visited him at Corte madera
    while en route to Healdsburg to look at his speaker builder's shop & then onto the Sea Ranch).

back in the day J Gordon Holt wrote "down with flat".
    Von Scheirkert has a similar voicing idea....part of his reverse microphone notion.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Hi Carl,

Listening was done with the Ardents, both at my normal couch seated position and in the dining room which starts at the back of the family room. Family room is about 25' X 25'; speakers are about 10 feet apart, centered in the room and about a 7 feet apart, centered on the far wall (the back wall is open to the dining room which is another 12-14 feet deep), and about 5 feet from the rear wall.

There are no acoustic treatments, but it is a high ceiling. Half the rear wall and all the right wall are glass. At the normal seating position, the speakers aren't near field, but they're much closer to the listening position than reflections from the side walls.

SPL was from about 70 dB to 90+, possibly close to 100 dB, becuase the shift in balance encourages listening a bit louder; so I was moving around a lot to judge the response from different locations and at different volume levels.

At the moment I'm sitting back in the dining room listening to Arvo Part Frateres (male vocal chorale) and it sounds pretty fabulous to me.

The electronics I'm using are what I call the midrange test setup-

SonicTransporter (Linux headless music player Ethernet output) (CAT7 cables)
      Sonore microRendu (Ethernet input, USB output with low noise clocks and linear regulators)
      Alpha USB to AES+S/PDIF converter
      Cardas AES/EBU cable
      AURALiC Vega DAC
      AURALiC Taurus Pre preamplifier
      Ayre balanced interconnects
      NAD M22
      Cardas Golden Reference

No re-clocking, no TotalDAC, non of the power conditioners, etc. Just basic good stuff.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

I'll bring my comments from the other thread here. I approximated the version 2 curve using JRiver Media Player's DSP, setting a high shelf to drop 1.6 dB and a low shelf to boost, centered at 2KHz. I basically confirmed the curve by measurement but had a computer crash before saving. The speakers were generally flat before EQ. Equipment was a background music setup - PC, built in sound card, 15W T-amp, a pair of MTMs that were a Zalytron kit using Focal paper midwoofers and a Kevlar T120, generic cabling. No room treatments, wood floor. The only nods to good sound in the setup are a cathedral ceiling and wide room roughly Cardas placement, listening at about 10'.

Upon engaging the DSP it sounded a bit soft on top, but that's too be expected. Then I noticed that it held together much better at louder volumes than before. I'd always thought these got harsh at high volumes and sounded best loud from the next room. Now I could rock out in the sweet spot much longer. Definitely improved the sound of a basic system. Past tense because the computer had been on the same circuit as me when I had a lightning strike. It's cheap/old surge protector kept it alive, but once the weather turned warm the processor fried itself.

Comment

• ergo
          • Mar 2005

As Jon mentions I've listened to this mod with LspCad simulation

Spotify or JRiver --> RME soundcard --> digital loopback --> LspCAD --> RME SPDIF --> NAD C390DD digital power amp --> Minerva EE version.

Blue is Jon's curve of his analog filter simulatio and red is what LspCAD gets with "1st order bass boost" block.

Name:	voicing_LspCAD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	862026

What I wrote to Jon as my impressions

"What I hear as a difference is much more than I expected. One would of course expect a bit of a change in sound balance, but what I experience is something more. Somehow the in a soundfield something 'clicks' to place. Without the mod especially with complex music the imaging tended to smear and the depth layering was not quite good. With this voicing curve both of these aspects change. I experience better imaging and depth even with double bass etc. I tried this cautiously multiple times and with different time intervals spent on either setting. I am in end confident enough to say that, yes - I do hear and like this setting a lot.
          A good sign is also that it is all in all very hard to remove the setting and I end up listening long just for fun each time as it sounds so good.
          Anyhow. I share my thoughts first via e-mail. "

I also agree with observation that this curve allows or even encourages to turn up the volume. Seems to sound especially good with higher volumes.

Comment

• scottvalentin
            • May 2015

Very interesting results so far gentlemen. I look forward to hearing more, perhaps even one day doing a design that uses this FR as a reference!
            Jon thank you for sharing and working on this. As always, I feel smarter this morning than i was yesterday thanks to you.

Comment

• sdl2112
              • Mar 2006

I want to say thanks to Jon and others who are participating. Great timing...I am eager to investigate this on my SSA-WG crossover design.

Comment

• ergo
                • Mar 2005

There is a headphone/artificial head topic going on the Innerfidely site but it touches the topic of Harman house curves also. For those who are interested in this and headphones as well.
                Stereophile covers everything high-end and audiophile audio. Turntables and music servers, to solid-state and tube amplifiers and preamps, to loudspeakers.

Stereophile covers everything high-end and audiophile audio. Turntables and music servers, to solid-state and tube amplifiers and preamps, to loudspeakers.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

So this tweak is in regards to the anechoic on-axis response? I figured something like this would have to be done on a dipole like the Orion, but it is surprising to see it works here too.
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I would simply suggest trying it. You just might be surprised...

Systems like the Ardents have solid and consistent off axis response to 45-50 degrees, which in my mind means they don't have as much down tilt in the power response as some traditional two ways with larger woofers.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

A few more data items...

First, for those curious, here is a voicing circuit to do the 1.8 dB curve - just changing the series resistor.

Name:	27791514790_ac1b7520bc_b.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	930768

Name:	27791514870_cf932f030b_b.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	930769

Note that R5 and R6, C3 and C4 are just modeling the input impedance of the amplifier, as previously.

In the actual built version, C1 and C2 are WIMA MKP2 polypropylene 250V 15nF capacitors, of a family/type that I use for the output filter in my own experimental Class D amplifier circuits, due to the very low impedance and ESL. They're the minimum coloration part I could think of on short notice for trying this out. Very good electrical characteristics, pure copper leads, stacked film low inductance construction.

I've ordered some SwitchCraft inline XLR male to female adapters to build a couple more pair of these for experimentation and test sharing.

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	930770
                      Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:14 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Last night I was listening to a Stereophile reference recording, a men's choral music performance, mostly accapello, and I found it most sublime.

And I may have had an ah hah moment, about understanding this performance of this configuration, because I realize what it reminded me the most of in reproduced sound I have previously heard is various models of the Quad ESL, including the original Quad ESL 57, which I have a lot of experience with due to selling them in the 70's and configuring Levinson HQD systems.

There's a perceived naturalness and ease that Quads have always had that I have rarely heard in other systems, and I think a voicing curve like this may be one aspect of that perception.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

Well let us know when they are ready to ship, this should be fun. I am thinking this is one of the reasons people stick to vinyl especially at louder levels.

Comment

• TEK
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dar47
                            Well let us know when they are ready to ship, this should be fun. I am thinking this is one of the reasons people stick to vinyl especially at louder levels.
                            Could you elaborate a bit about the connection you see between vinyl usage and the voicing curve used here?
                            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

I think it should be- you may be surprised at how much "fun" you'll get. I ordered three more sets of the XLR adapter cases this morning, and as part of the original Wavecor Ardent crew, of course you'll get priority. :B

As mentioned, I am pondering adding this into the front end of the Class D receiver/control amplifier, as an option that can be turned on or off with a switch, and chose between the 3 dB curve and the 1.8 dB curve- this would be a pretty simple modification, done after the balanced input transformer, before the input differential active amplifier stage.

My thought is to continue designing speakers for "flat" response, and implement voicing tweaks like this where it is simple and very inexpensive compared to crossover adjustments, particularly when the drivers often have frequency ranges they cover that are not convenient for implementing the adjustable curves property. Simplifies speaker development, and makes the implementation cleaner.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                                • Nov 2008

When playing laud complex passages with digital, sometimes a note will just ring my head and kind of distract me from the music braking my mode. I haven't experienced that with vinyl but it's not to say those passages are rendered wrong just maybe flat is heard harder in those examples. I may not like this as nice crisp highs at low levels is nice and I generally don't listen much above 80dbs anymore. If I am sitting for some music I always play low for at least a half hour and kind of warm myself up, then tend to bump up as I go but it sometimes is surprising how laud I end up at. If you sit and listen for a couple of hours at low levels your going to tune out or fall a sleep, haha.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

When playing laud complex passages with digital, sometimes a note will just ring my head and kind of distract me from the music braking my mode. I haven't experienced that with vinyl but it's not to say those passages are rendered wrong just maybe flat is heard harder in those examples. I may not like this as nice crisp highs at low levels is nice and I generally don't listen much above 80dbs anymore. If I am sitting for some music I always play low for at least a half hour and kind of warm myself up, then tend to bump up as I go but it sometimes is surprising how laud I end up at. If you sit and listen for a couple of hours at low levels your going to tune out or fall a sleep, haha.
                                  i don't want to go out on a limb here, but I think you'll find your listening habits changing if you plug this into the chain... :B
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• NyxOne
                                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by scottvalentin
                                    Very interesting results so far gentlemen. I look forward to hearing more, perhaps even one day doing a design that uses this FR as a reference!
                                    Jon thank you for sharing and working on this. As always, I feel smarter this morning than i was yesterday thanks to you.
                                    this ^

Thank you guys for sharing you're result! Now I know I need to try it too!

Comment

• Carl V
                                      • Apr 2005

Dar...Others have made similar comparisons to clean & Capable tube amplification.
                                      (((I recall back in the day getting Soundlab A3 and Wolcott amps singing.
                                      But then Crown Macro Ref. and Big maggies made me smile))).

Comment

• meb46
                                        • Jul 2010

Bob - Could you post a screen-shot of your JRiver setup/DSP? I use this also and would be a quick easy way to understand the details. Thanks

Comment

• PMazz
                                          • May 2001

If anyone has insight to what a minidsp filter would be I'd give it a whirl.
                                          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• BobEllis
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2005

Here you go, MEB. There are two catches. Foremost you must be using the player to output music, not sending it to a DLNA renderer. Second is you have to have JRiver sending audio to a device other than the default playback device under windows. I assume you have an external DAC of some sort. Set Windows default playback device to the built in audio (you have to have something plugged into the jack, if just an unconnected plug) and click Player>Playback Options>Audio Device select the DAC or spdif device you use for music. This has the side benefit of keeping windows sounds out of your music playback if you do other things on the same box.

To get to the EQ click Player>DSP Studio

Name:	DSP setup.png
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	862032

Comment

• sdl2112
                                              • Mar 2006

I was curious of the effects of different amplifier input impedance so I ran three different values:

1) amp(Vo1) 200kohm balanced or 100k single ended (same as Jon's first example)
                                              2) amp(Vo2) 75k balanced or 37.5k single ended
                                              3) amp(Vo3) 20k balanced or 10k single ended

Markers on the graph show attenuation at approx. 20Hz, 2kHz and 20kHz. With decreasing amplifier impedance the insertion loss is larger and the delta between the shelves gets a little smaller. The transition region is similar.

One thing of note is that during the Stereophile review of the NAD M22 they measured a balanced input impedance of 75kohm, not the 200k in the spec sheet.

Response graph

Name:	2016-07-05_1510.png
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	862038

Normalized graph

Name:	2016-07-05_1539.png
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	862039

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

I didn't think the range of normal input impedances would matter that much. I guess we'll have to simulate our own amps before building a dongle. Given the 1.8K input impedance of my Pass A75 the circuit as specified wouldn't have the desired effect.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by PMazz
                                                  If anyone has insight to what a minidsp filter would be I'd give it a whirl.
                                                  Pete,

I think this is pretty close - higher Q would be sharper corners, but I think .5 is right for this filter. Maybe a professional sparks and wires guy can verify. Duplicate for the other channel, of course.

Name:	MiniDSP Linkwitz.png
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	862040

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

That looks like its more or less in the ball park, though if you could control the scaling of the display that would help! Of course, there always is that old standby, set it up, measure, adjust measure again, then at that point you're likely good to go. Key points might be looking at the 1kHz, 2kHz, and 10kHz levels.

Over a range of 200K to 50K balanced this tracks fairly well, just more attenuation overall, but below 50K I'd say give me your amp parameters, and let's customize for it.

I'll post a target plot with detailed grids and markers.

Name:	27500261904_57fb27ab7c_b.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	930771
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:15 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2005

I've got multiple single ended amps in the 47K range, and with a flip of the switch the A75 is a 75 kOhm single ender, too. I'll just build the filter myself, since I only have single ended sources for now. I've got a load of Panasonic and Wima stacked film caps and likely the correct value Dale RN60s in my parts bin. I also plan to build an Aleph-P, which will take care of SE to Balanced and I can put the eq in a higher impedance zone when driving the F5 or Aleph-J.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Sounds like you've got a solid plan, Bob! :T
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PMazz
                                                          • May 2001

Thanks Bob, I'll give it a whirl!
                                                          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Moving the ball down the field, I've laid out a PCB to use for building this inside of the SwitchCraft balanced XLR connector tubes, and ordered some from my favorite past vendor in Colorado... call it nostalgia... :W

Name:	28299376976_1ea148bc56_o.png
Views:	190
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	930772

This gave me an excuse to setup and configure the new version of Altium Designer 16 and get the footprint libraries setup with it- not a big job, except that fitting it on the limited board space with conservative design rules for isolation wasn't as quick as I might have imagined.

Although it's technically laid out to use 0.1" headers for inputs and outputs, I doubt there is enough room inside the XLR tube to accommodate the vertical space they require, so handwriting the inputs will likely be required. It's just a two layer 1 oz copper board, so fairly inexpensive if you order a number of pieces. Any one interested in bare PCBs fairly cheap or with parts, send me a PM. Will take a bit over a week before I have them, considering lead time and ground shipping.

Name:	28299376886_19df51c26f_o.png
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	930773
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:16 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Had some time late afternoon and evening to do some casual listening while working on things on the iPad Pro- just trying out some different things using Roon, (which I am really enjoying... Including what it does in selecting stuff from my own collection in a particular genre after an album I've already selected is over...)

Something I particularly enjoyed how it sounded was some soundtrack music I have... Which makes pretty logical, because it's often listened to as background music- but it made me actually stop and listen to it, and sucked me in more- particularly two favorites of this genre, one old, one new- "Firefly" sound track, and the Witcher 3 sound track (from the CD that comes with the delux edition of the game).
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                • Nov 2012

Ive played with a lot of FR curves and the attachment is where I have ended up (measured at the listening position). Looks a lot like what you guys are talking about.

I do like a bit of a bump in the high end and elevated bass though.

Name:	FRcurve.jpg
Views:	1232
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	862082
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:16 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

I do like a bit of a bump in the high end and elevated bass though.
                                                                  Ah yes, what we used to call the old "boom-tinkle" phenomena! (when I was in the business) :W

you're following something fairly similar in the 200Hz to about 10kHz area, then deviating with about 5 dB lift in the bottom end (loudness compensation? Do you usually listen at 75 dB or less?)

My thinking at this time is that it's likely better to design the speaker for nominal flat response, and modify the curve with an adapter like this- because it's more easily changed, or can even be incorporated in the front end of an amplifier... :B

It's funny, depending on the source gear, that lift in the top may be fairly pleasant, or if there's any latent digititus in the system, somewhat annoying. the ScanSpeak 66020 tweeter (which I initially used in the early version of the Ardent) has that kind of profile sort of engineered in because of the short small waveguide in the relatively thick faceplate; I ended up deciding I really didn't like that, and much preferred the 6640, which doesn't have that lift.

One of the most common comments I get with regards to the Wavecor Ardent is that it doesn't sound like it has a metal tweeter... obviously, this coming from people that don't like the usual metal tweeter artifacts.

With this setup, that is even more the case.
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh

you're following something fairly similar in the 200Hz to about 10kHz area, then deviating with about 5 dB lift in the bottom end (loudness compensation? Do you usually listen at 75 dB or less?)
                                                                    No, I usually listen in the low 90's SPLdb range. I just dont like thin sounding bass :lol:

My liking the high end lift maybe has as much to do with aging ears as anything.

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2012

Ah yes, what we used to call the old "boom-tinkle" phenomena! (when I was in the business) :W
                                                                      Many might call it a smiley face EQ :lol:

But in my case, id call it more a slight grin

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

the key is whatever works for you- the money and work you've spent should be pleasing to your ears!
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2008

Ah yes, what we used to call the old "boom-tinkle" phenomena!

With this setup, that is even more the case.
                                                                          Doc, Awe man..., yer killin' me! :rofl:

Being honest here, I understand about 1/3 of the posts in this thread, but it's interesting none the less. I fear I'm learning something too.
                                                                          Ron
                                                                          Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15271

Still haven't had time to build up some boards, and photograph them- it's on my to-do list, but work has been pretty crazy with some stupid stuff going on in more than one area...

Have gotten in more resistors, and will be building up both 3.2 dB boards and 1.8 dB boards.

I think this will be interesting to compare.
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15271

#39
                                                                              Ok- Ergo is coming to town next weekend, and I also owe my friend a set of voicing modules, so they finally rose to the top of the priority list, along with making space in the man cave office/workshop to work on them (which took half of Saturday...)

Name:	32939499866_64b57dc128_o.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	930775

They don't look too bad...

only problem is, they fit in the original Asian made XLR tubes, but not quite in the SwitchCraft. Good thing I'm sort of a wood worker and know how to sand things... I'll never live this one down!

**************************

Already sanded, and test fitted, but no pics- just take my word on this one, guys. I was also a little worried if the caps would be too tall, but it seems things are OK...

**************************

Company is all here, getting ready for Bday dinner for GF's son, with nieces in attendance from Seattle and Providence Rhode Island. Back to the voicing module build tomorrow morning...
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15271

#40
                                                                                Both width and length appear to be an issue... good ole Milwaukee orbital sander to the rescue.

Name:	32180735973_19ed9f01a0_o.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	930776

Now, the interesting question, is if this works, do I sand the rest of the boards I build like this, or go back and spend a few hundred dollars for a new PCB design set? I can shrink the resistor footprints, but OTOH, board fabrication with foil that close to the edge is not really cool. This size of a board can tend to be a problem- note that the foil angle brackets on the corner are supposed to be only on the OUTSIDE of the board, and gone after cutting to the right size. OTOH, I can shrink the resistor layouts to 0.4" from 0.5", and push some other things closer together.

I think I'll have to do a new layout, but the time for that and the expense for new boards will have to wait. For now, hand crafted will be the reality... ops:

BTW, side comment, theses are XICON resistors specifically designed for Audio, and high grade WIMA polypropylene film caps, with very low dissipation factor. (means low ESR and low foil contact resistance)
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:17 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 1885

#41
                                                                                  Both width and length appear to be an issue... good ole Milwaukee orbital sander to the rescue.

Now, the interesting question, is if this works, do I sand the rest of the boards I build like this, or go back and spend a few hundred dollars for a new PCB design set? I can shrink the resistor footprints, but OTOH, board fabrication with foil that close to the edge is not really cool. This size of a board can tend to be a problem- note that the foil angle brackets on the corner are supposed to be only on the OUTSIDE of the board, and gone after cutting to the right size. OTOH, I can shrink the resistor layouts to 0.4" from 0.5", and push some other things closer together.

I think I'll have to do a new layout, but the time for that and the expense for new boards will have to wait. For now, hand crafted will be the reality... ops:

BTW, side comment, theses are XICON resistors specifically designed for Audio, and high grade WIMA polypropylene film caps, with very low dissipation factor. (means low ESR and low foil contact resistance)
                                                                                  You knew from the get go you would go the "right" way and redo the boards. Hand rework should certainly be good for initial evaluations though. :T
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 12:17 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Renron
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2008
                                                                                    • 749

#42
                                                                                    No way in hell you're going to fit Mundorf M-Resist Supremes in there. I don't think you would allow yourself to "get by" with sanding. Bob's right. Few hundred bucks sounds high thou. Must be somewhere that's cheaper.
                                                                                    Ron
                                                                                    Ardent TS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15271

#43
                                                                                      I still haven't figured out what to do for sure, but I think I'm just going to make another batch of boards... and build this into all my new designs!
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2007
                                                                                        • 474

#44
                                                                                        @Jon - thanks for the detailed reply in your new adventure thread. I had missed this post entirely. I will now read (and re-read). the dip I engineered on-axis to suit ELC listening measures flat on-axis at the listening position. I realise I am taking the room in here, but that's maybe why it sounds great up to the tweeter / treble. I feel I may need to take another 1dB-2dB off the tweeter to reach the right balance in my room for most of the "trash music" I like without sacrificing the great masters / mixes. Right - sidetrack off.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2007
                                                                                          • 474

#45
                                                                                          I'm using a Raspberry Pi with an IQAudio DAC mounted on top via PCIO pins (HAT) running a custom Archlinux distro called Archphile. It's a stripped down distribution with only MPD as a music server and WiFi networking for remote control.

I then installed the ALSA equaliser. This is s 15 (from memory) fixed band EQ and can change realtime.

I then wrote a script to monitor song changes and another to store and load a database of EQ settings for albums.

I pre-programmed the classic BBC dip and a few others to try.

The beauty with the above is a dynamic EQ that "remembers" a setting and re-loads next time that album is played. I've done album level (not song level) as usually a mix seems to be consistent across tracks (except for some compilations - but they are dubious mastering quality anyway - refer http://dr.loudness-war.info/ and check out your screechy albums

Anyway - I've found this a brilliant solution. The EQ is usually running (I can turn it off for bit-perfect playback if I really must - but I can't tell the difference TBH), and the EQ switches and remembers. I use "SSH button" on my phone to store the EQ setting for an album as I'm listening. I can switch between them to choose the right amount of attenuation if I like. If there is no stored EQ, it default to "flat".

All in all, this is a software based solution to achieve similar results. The only thing is I would need to loopback to see the actual curve being applied due to the fixed attenuation points. I'm pretty sure it won't be as "analogue / smooth" as Jon's solution above.

I agree with all the "it encourages you to turn it up". You finally get to use your mega-watt amplification and get those woofers moving

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"