X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Minerva Monitor: "Patience my ass, I'm going to go build something!"

Well, here I go, on the dark side again. I'd intended to hold off posting more about this or starting an "official development and build thread" until we had more film in the can, but as this paraphrase of a quote Steve Manning used in a recent email goes, I'm itching to get going and have a thread with a more clearly and narrowly defined focus than the thread I started kicking around these ideas for, which originally was just going to be focused on the low frequency design.

Everything is subject to change at this point, yet I think we've got a pretty good grip on things as they stand.

And that patience quote relates to the fact that their are two main build efforts going on- the official Translam design which has been briefly discussed, and my earlier "by hand" design, which will still get built and likely finished earlier. (our CNC vendor is having some teething pains getting his setup sorted out- this may still be a few weeks).

Part of my lack of patience is also due to some more listening checks on the one acoustic prototype, including with a Naim album I just came across that is really lovely, (if you like latin influenced female jazz singers- MadMac, you better listen up!)

You can get this in CD version, which is probably pretty nice, but I have the direct from Naim 24/192 download, sort of like getting the master tape. well, actually, a LOT like getting the master tape! Recommended, in fact, Highly Recommended. (some really nice subtle percussion, and excellent bass guitar work)

Image not available

So- back to the Minerva Monitor.

This is a TAD inspired design (think Compact Evolution One) "stand mount" design using the Seas C18EN001 concentric Midrange/tweeter driver, with low frequencies handled by the combination of Wavecor SW223BD02 and ScanSpeak Discovery 26W/0-00 10" Passive Radiator. yeah, it's not hardly fair putting that LF combo up against the 6-1/2" ported woofer used in the Compact Evolution One, but then it wasn't fair putting the SW223BD01/2 up against the Eton 7" woofers used in the Indra either. Some would say, if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C18EN001-M-4-large_zpsxqibw9pb.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	933675

Name:	sw223bd02_03_front.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	933676

Name:	26w_0-00.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	933677

Next, I'll recap the table saw design and a quick overview of the Translam version of the design Steve Manning has been working up, then summarize the state of crossover development and the reasoning behind where that stands.

I should mention Seas has their own stand mount design using the C18EN001 and the RO4Y 10" subwoofer; it's even smaller, and uses DSP in the Hypex plate amp for the LF to mid crossover and equalizing out the upper range response after the relatively simple passive crossover.

Name:	kingroy.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	933678

It's very compact, no question!

Name:	file.php?id=81999&t=1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	933679

And if the electronics in the Hypex plate amp (A/D; DSP; D/A, UcD modules) are up to the quality standard you want, this might be a system to take a close look at. OTOH, for me, I can't bear the thought of running any of my DAC's into this for music. It might be really killer for HT, though- think a 2.1 system without the 0.1!
    Last edited by theSven; 30 April 2023, 16:10 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • sdl2112
    • Mar 2006

I'm looking forward seeing these come together :T. Among the many interesting aspects of this design will be your take on the sealed vs passive radiator loading of the SW223 driver compared to the Ardent. That begs the question...why did you go the passive radiator route vs sealed?

Comment

• csmielke
      • Jan 2015

Just gotta love it, can't wait for the ending.
      Chris

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by csmielke
        Just gotta love it, can't wait for the ending.
        Chris
        Yeah, this is probably going to be too much like one of those movie serial shows back in the days of yore- "What will happen to our intrepid heros Steve and Jon in the next Episode of "Minerva Monitor"!"
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sdl2112
          I'm looking forward seeing these come together :T. Among the many interesting aspects of this design will be your take on the sealed vs passive radiator loading of the SW223 driver compared to the Ardent. That begs the question...why did you go the passive radiator route vs sealed?
          Well, you know what they say- it's all about trade-offs. In this case, I wondered how close I could come to making a stand mounted box that would do something close to 20-20K. Originally I was thinking in terms of the PR223BD02, and I have a couple of those on hand, but the SS PR in the bone stock configuration just models better.

Name:	SW223BD02%2024Hz%20Graph_zpshhseo6rb.png
Views:	175
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	943466

Initial testing confirmed the validity of this approach, at least at a first cut.

Near field output of SW223BD02

Name:	SW223BD02_zpsxack16wy.png
Views:	178
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	943467

"summed" output (mic directly to the side, half way between woofer and PR)

Name:	Mid_Cab%20SW223BD01SSPR_zpsdxulysdr.png
Views:	171
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	943468

Also, for this design, being a bit of a b@ll-buster for load impedance was not deemed so much of an issue, because one of the original intents was to make a challenging load for testing Class D amplifiers, both things I'm working on an the IR Class D stuff developed by the "new" Infineon Americas since we bought International Rectifier. So, in this case a nominal 4 ohm load that looks a bit like 3 ohms at times wasn't going to scare me off. OTOH, the impedance of the SW223BD02 reveals a well designed motor with lots of copper in the gap, and a very easy impedance curve to work with for a three way. Notice the impedance curve shows the box tuning on the money from prediction, just a bit over 20Hz.

Name:	SW223BD02_zpsvgmeamjx.png
Views:	181
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	943469
          Last edited by theSven; 30 June 2023, 11:43 Friday. Reason: Update image location
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Any one remember this post from Steve?

Sounds like you need to clone yourself or pick up some Minions Jon . Wish I were closer, being off work at the moment I could play the role of a Minion. Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=24435&d=1441721516.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	943470
            Well, Steve IS the official Minion on this project, though only his wife can say if his appearance is even vaguely like this picture he linked to...

I prefer to think of him as my key collaborator and right hand man, and so far this is working remarkably well considering we're on opposite sides of the country. Has a lot to do with his major contributions and very strong organizational skills.

He's also a real wizard with SketchUp, and what he's done with it hasn't exactly convinced me to abandon Shark, I have popped for a license for SketchUP Pro. SketchUp has a very curious history, it's doing quite a bit better now that it's with Trimble, I think. But it has some of that quirkiness in it's genes, enough that guidance from an experience person and a few good books are mandatory. As it is, I've learned enough to know that I need to go back and reset and create my table saw version with crossover integrated in the cabinet from scratch again, for a number of reasons. Live and learn, that's what works.
            Last edited by theSven; 30 June 2023, 11:45 Friday. Reason: Update image location
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Table Saw Minerva Monitor concept

OK- for quick reference for the new thread- the table saw concept version of the Minerva Monitor, with built in crossover, maple stools for speaker stands are optional extras.

This is included so folks won't have to go bouncing around between threads to pick up the key points.

Name:	FrontPanel1BackNextShell_zpsv562muoi.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	943471

Name:	FrontPanel1BackNextXRAY_zpsbjaaoe9v.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	943472

Most of the material is a LBL, with some BB ply on some inner walls.

Name:	FrontViewDIM_zps7dwmhdqq.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	943473

Name:	SideViewDimensions_zpsvicf3muv.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	943474
              Last edited by theSven; 30 June 2023, 11:45 Friday. Reason: Update image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Well, Steve IS the official Minion on this project, though only his wife can say if his appearance is even vaguely like this picture he linked to...

I prefer to think of him as my key collaborator and right hand man, and so far this is working remarkably well considering we're on opposite sides of the country. Has a lot to do with his major contributions and very strong organizational skills.

He's also a real wizard with SketchUp, and what he's done with it hasn't exactly convinced me to abandon Shark, I have popped for a license for SketchUP Pro. SketchUp has a very curious history, it's doing quite a bit better now that it's with Trimble, I think. But it has some of that quirkiness in it's genes, enough that guidance from an experience person and a few good books are mandatory. As it is, I've learned enough to know that I need to go back and reset and create my table saw version with crossover integrated in the cabinet from scratch again, for a number of reasons. Live and learn, that's what works.
                She's sworn to secrecy ........ though these days I would say there might be a strong resemblance. and thank you for the kind compliments .....

I don't know about be a wizard with Sketchup, especially looking at this guy today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTtB...8aATrh&index=1. Though I'm certainly happy that Sketchup is relatively easy to learn and that vendors supplying CAM software for CNC machines are allowing for direct importing of Sketchup files for tool path creation. That way you can even use the free version of Sketchup and get machining down at the other end.
                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Translam version

Now, a view to some of the work Steve has been doing, planning out the translate version of the cabinet and stands. This is an experiment, trying Flickr as the image library source- otherwise I'm going to load up the HT Guide server!

The primary work Steve has been doing is to prepare part pieces in the form from which they can be cut out using a vendor's CNC setup. These pieces will be further worked on to produce the final design.

So, in this case, while the pieces for the main cabinet, if arrayed as they will be built, show the outline of the basic pieces that will be cut out.

Name:	23676318354_10c56cc5ef_k.jpg
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	943475

With the holes cut, all the bevels and other work done, including finishing, the final result is intended to be something like this:

Name:	24008984950_0d435eb8fc_h.jpg
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	943476

Getting to that point will be a lot of work- note the different pieces required for each section, and how many- that's why there's 1300 lb of LBL sitting in the vendor's warehouse that Steve picked.

Name:	23936699359_b54cc34d6b_k.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	943477

It's a very similar if somewhat less arduous process for the stands:

Name:	24008948080_d65db7a524_k.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	943478

Name:	24222019481_702df1ab2d_k.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	943479

Name:	24304558985_629eec8003_h.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	943480

Name:	24278409306_f0a01dc549_h.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	943481

We even did a 3D evaluation of whether the crossover could actually fit in the base- Steve made the component part models, and I did my best to put the puzzle together....

Something to always keep in mind, as Willie the Shake would say, there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip, so I expect we may have some "interesting" challenges and perhaps some unpleasant surprises ahead.

But I've got a feeling about this... and it's not that something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull!
                  Last edited by theSven; 30 June 2023, 11:49 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Very cool. Should be a special speaker. Would love to see people's face react to the bass from such a small package.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Well, it's a bit sneaky, K, because it is so neutral in that area, you don't really notice anything unless something comes along in the program material that get's down there. That, and one notices a bit more weight behind drums and other low frequency percussion.

One last post this evening, at Steve's suggestion, to show an X-RAY view of the stand so you can appreciate the way this will be going together if all goes according to plan:

Name:	23677854764_8e34fa4496_k.jpg
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	943482

The X-RAY view in SketcUp does work rather nicely. Note how dowling is used in the stand (as well as the main cabinet) to locate the components precisely for gluing operations.

BTW, this moderate size PNG file is fairly high resolution- the larger you can stretch you window, the more fine detail you'll see. Download for the best effect, unless you're already running a 4K or 5K monitor.
                      Last edited by theSven; 30 June 2023, 11:50 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CADman_ks
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                        I don't know about be a wizard with Sketchup, especially looking at this guy today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTtB...8aATrh&index=1. ....
                        WOW!!!

That dude is off the chain!!

That's incredible what he's doing with the software!

Having spent my whole professional career in the CAD field, it's easy for me to appreciate what he's doing there. He's actually leveraging the model to do all of his work, and if you're good, that's the end game. While that sounds simple, and makes logical sense, it's not necessarily the easiest thing to do. It takes a LOT of planning and forethought to get everything to work together. He's obviously developed a powerful system that works well. The trick would be teaching that system to others. I've been there done that, and most of the time it's hard to get your system out of your head, and into someone else's...
                        CADman_ks
                        - Stentorian build...
                        - Ochocinco build...
                        - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

Steve, will be fun assembling these and hopefully your around for the machining process? As the xovers are in the bottom of the stand and I see a hole on the back of the stand at the top and 4 holes on the top plate of the the stand, are you planning a quick disconnect to separate the speak for moving purpose as I would think these would be a bear to slide around together? Only asking as I park my monitors against a wall and move them out some times.

Comment

• csmielke
                            • Jan 2015

Guys,
                            If this one is named Minerva does the floor standing version with dual woofers and quad PRs become Jupiter, from Roman history the father of Minerva?
                            Chris

Comment

• Steve Manning
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dar47
                              Steve, will be fun assembling these and hopefully your around for the machining process? As the xovers are in the bottom of the stand and I see a hole on the back of the stand at the top and 4 holes on the top plate of the the stand, are you planning a quick disconnect to separate the speak for moving purpose as I would think these would be a bear to slide around together? Only asking as I park my monitors against a wall and move them out some times.
                              I'm very much looking forward to the build ...... I will be present for the machining process and will have pictures for posting as things progress.

There will be connection points at the bottom of the speaker stand around back and then there will be connections at the back of the speaker cabinet. So yes, you can easily move them around separately. Of course "easily" is all relative since the cabinets with the drivers will be pushing 100 lbs all on their own.8O

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by CADman_ks
                                WOW!!!

Having spent my whole professional career in the CAD field, it's easy for me to appreciate what he's doing there. He's actually leveraging the model to do all of his work, and if you're good, that's the end game. While that sounds simple, and makes logical sense, it's not necessarily the easiest thing to do. It takes a LOT of planning and forethought to get everything to work together. He's obviously developed a powerful system that works well. The trick would be teaching that system to others. I've been there done that, and most of the time it's hard to get your system out of your head, and into someone else's...
                                I think this guy has been at this for awhile with Sketchup and your right he is VERY organized and detail oriented ....... it just shows what can be done with the software and some planning.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                  • Dec 2006

Guys,
                                  If this one is named Minerva does the floor standing version with dual woofers and quad PRs become Jupiter, from Roman history the father of Minerva?
                                  Chris
                                  We'll put it on the list. Of course that will depend if the boss man intends on pursuing that build.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Guys,
                                    Chris
                                    A very apt suggestion- but realistically, at this point a proposal for another calendar year I expect! At least I've got some of the drivers- but will have to pick up two more of the CSS woofers.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CADman_ks
                                      WOW!!!

This series is on my list to download with iTubeStudio and review in detail- though when I can find the time to do it justice is another matter!
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• csmielke
                                        • Jan 2015

Jon,
                                        FYI, CSS has the SDX10s on sale for $100 off a pair right now. Might want to strike while the iron is hot.
                                        Chris

Comment

• ergo
                                          • Mar 2005

I am planning to follow this design with CNC methods on EU side as well.
                                          I have VCarve Pro as a CAM for my CNC and even though it should import *.skp as well it does not seem to go too fluently from this project. I don't have the SketchUp Pro with DXF export, but going Sketchup skp file -> Rhino3D -> DXF -> Vcarve works well.

Due to the machine bed size I will have to cut 1 piece at a time. But I will be attempting to also produce the 45 deg chamfer for the two sides.

Toolpath trials look like this.

Name:	inner piece.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	861137

Name:	outer piece chamfer.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	861138

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

That's one thing about being "vertically integrated" that's going to give you a bit of an advantage! Looking nice, Ergo! :T
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Jon,
                                              FYI, CSS has the SDX10s on sale for $100 off a pair right now. Might want to strike while the iron is hot.
                                              Chris
                                              Hey, this is all a conspiracy to get me to spend more money! But thanks for the heads up...

==============================

The iron has struck, and is cooling off... good price. Thanks!
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                • Mar 2006

Looks like the SW223BD02 is on sale too.

Wavecor SW223BD02, 22cm Aluminum Cone Subwoofer, with 51mm Voice Coil, 4ohm.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Yeah, that's what I paid for the four I ordered just before XMAS. I was happy to see that pricing, believe me!
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                                                    • Nov 2008

Yeah and you US buggers, are getting another 0.35 on your dollar, make my want to sweater you guys, haha.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Yeah, it's funny (not in a ha ha sense) how the dollar has rebounded over the last year or two against the Euro and other currencies. And still China is trying to play games de-valuing their currency for economic advantage, even though they pushed so hard to get accepted into the IMF major currency basket, where that sort of behavior is not kosher.

I'd be stupid not to take advantage of it, and make hay while the sun shines. You never know what the next 12 months will bring.

I've also started putting together a slightly more upscale BOM for the crossover, and ordering parts- some MR caps on the way from Madisound, and another pair of C18EN001. Stolen has those listed at a nice price, but is back ordered. Need to get some more PR's on order, too- only have about 3 in the box lying around here!
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
                                                        • Mar 2005

On the topic of SketchUp a bit more...
                                                        I did buy this one

SketchUpĀ® Guide for Woodworkers - The Basics (Video Download)

Well worth the 13 dollars asked. Found many neat tricks in there that would help speaker box builds too

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Thanks Ergo! I've bought a couple of books, too, but I'm going to give this a try also, as anything that speeds up my learning curve for the price of a nice lunch is probably worthwhile.
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TEK
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

Jon, have you had the oppertunity to listen to the SW223BD02?
                                                            I'm a bit curious on how it sound/performs compared to SW223BD01. Is it a upgrade or mostly the same/same?
                                                            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• TEK
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2002

Jon, have you had the oppertunity to listen to the SW223BD02?
                                                              I'm a bit curious on how it sound/performs compared to SW223BD01. Is it a upgrade or mostly the same/same?
                                                              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

The SW223BD02 is what's in this project. But making a comparison between the Minerva acoustic demonstrator and built/finished Ardents with the SW223BD01 is sort of an Apples and Oranges thing, especially as I've only got one acoustic demonstrator setup, and the LF is just in an MDF test enclosure.

The SW223BD02 seems to have about the same small signal distortion, but it has a somewhat longer throw (by about 2mm) due to redesigned VC and changes in the driver suspension. This results in about 2 dB less sensitivity, too. All of these changes seem focused on making it more of a sub driver, yet because it uses the same very stiff cone and plenty of copper in the gap and has a nice flat impedance curve, doing the Wavecor Ardents with it shouldn't be a problem, just requires reducing the mid and tweeter level by about 2 dB. I need to do a crossover check and update on that, but I don't know of a set in progress right now using the BD02, so this hasn't been a scalding hot priority.
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2005

My Ardents will use the -02s, but no rush, it's too cold here to get the veneer applied. There's a good chance mine will at least start as active at the low crossover, so I'll be starting with the relative level of mid and tweet for my padding.

Comment

• ergo
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

I did some progress today. As I had not cut anything from bamboo ply before on CNC I did some feed and speed tests to see what works for this material.
                                                                    ZigZags were all cut with each one getting a bit more feed rate to find whats optimum.
                                                                    18000RPM and approx 95 inch per minute with 6mm 2 flute upcut cutter was what I settled on for now.

I did cut out 4 corner holders that will be the holding raw panels when I start to cut all the 40 layers of box

Name:	cutting_1.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	861152

Name:	cutting 2.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	861153

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Well, you're making some progress! how much does the LBL panel cost you in Estonia? Just curious...
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

It does not come cheap unfortunately.

and in Estonia it's even a bit more
                                                                        600 x 800mm (23.6 x 31.5 inch) 21.8EUR per piece - so some 870 EUR per 2 boxes
                                                                        400 x 800mm (15.7 x 31.5 inch) 15.7EUR per piece - so some 650 EUR if I use these for inner layers and 600x800 only for sides

So I'm contemplating an idea to do this kind of 'tweak' - would save me some 250EUR as from 600x800mm board I can still get only 1 cutout per piece.

Name:	center_split.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	861159

Sad news I found out today was that some company had bought up basically all of the stock of the Bamboo ply the shop had (some end of December budjet remains that they decided to spend). So I'm also now on a forced few weeks idle time before they restock I have not found alternate places for this material this far. But I guess it's good from a point of view that I can play this stuff out in CAD in all variations and get a better use of material/money later on.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                          • 1886

I feel your pain in the waiting department ......

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Norm
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Mar 2011
                                                                            • 62

Steve M & Jon, do you want to continue to discuss CNC machining for speaker boxes in this thread or start one dedicated to the topic? I have been there, done it, and doing it and would love to compare notes.

As a start in the 'Fundamentals' thread Steve wrote: "This machine is new and unfortunately the factory installed some parts made from the wrong material which has prevented the vacuum table from working, which has caused some delays (weeks) in getting parts cut. The machine is supposed to be fixed as of yesterday and I'm hopping sawdust will fly this week. I'll make notes on things like feeds and speeds once we get underway and of course post some pictures." Beware that vacuum table, I much prefer clamping and screwing the material to a sacrificial base board. My first attempts a CNCing speaker boxes was with a shop that used a vacuum table and they ultimately decided making signs is way easier and told me to get lost. Look at your parts and consider as material is removed is enough left to maintain clamping? My vendor's frustration started when scrap rates went up as almost finished parts came unstuck from the vacuum table during machining. The Vcarve screen shots you posted look on the right track in that you seem to be planning to keep the parts and scrap attached with tabs so lots of solid area remains for the vacuum to work on.

Comment

• TEK
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2002
                                                                              • 1670

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by ergo
                                                                              It does not come cheap unfortunately.

and in Estonia it's even a bit more
                                                                              600 x 800mm (23.6 x 31.5 inch) 21.8EUR per piece - so some 870 EUR per 2 boxes
                                                                              400 x 800mm (15.7 x 31.5 inch) 15.7EUR per piece - so some 650 EUR if I use these for inner layers and 600x800 only for sides

So I'm contemplating an idea to do this kind of 'tweak' - would save me some 250EUR as from 600x800mm board I can still get only 1 cutout per piece.
                                                                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]25046[/ATTACH]

Sad news I found out today was that some company had bought up basically all of the stock of the Bamboo ply the shop had (some end of December budjet remains that they decided to spend). So I'm also now on a forced few weeks idle time before they restock I have not found alternate places for this material this far. But I guess it's good from a point of view that I can play this stuff out in CAD in all variations and get a better use of material/money later on.
                                                                              Are you sure you cannot make them a little bit closer, so that you get less than 300mm height? That would let you have 4 pieces on a 600 x 800 board. If you make the taps on the lower one just a tiny bit lower that might work.
                                                                              Or if you make the speaker 1 cm lower you could raise them up on a 600 x 800 shett and then easly get 4 on a 800 wide sheet. Maybe more for all I know...
                                                                              -TEK

Comment

• ergo
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 676

#40
                                                                                Thanks TEK.
                                                                                Those are the options I'm thinking of yes. I also thought about making the middle separation wall as a separate piece and have some sort of interlock type dadoes on it. Might help keep things better together at glue-up phase and give more freedom to get parts placed for better material use. Have to continue learning the CAD and drawing the options up as I go along.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15272

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Norm
                                                                                  Steve M & Jon, do you want to continue to discuss CNC machining for speaker boxes in this thread or start one dedicated to the topic? I have been there, done it, and doing it and would love to compare notes.

As a start in the 'Fundamentals' thread Steve wrote: "This machine is new and unfortunately the factory installed some parts made from the wrong material which has prevented the vacuum table from working, which has caused some delays (weeks) in getting parts cut. The machine is supposed to be fixed as of yesterday and I'm hopping sawdust will fly this week. I'll make notes on things like feeds and speeds once we get underway and of course post some pictures." Beware that vacuum table, I much prefer clamping and screwing the material to a sacrificial base board. My first attempts a CNCing speaker boxes was with a shop that used a vacuum table and they ultimately decided making signs is way easier and told me to get lost. Look at your parts and consider as material is removed is enough left to maintain clamping? My vendor's frustration started when scrap rates went up as almost finished parts came unstuck from the vacuum table during machining. The Vcarve screen shots you posted look on the right track in that you seem to be planning to keep the parts and scrap attached with tabs so lots of solid area remains for the vacuum to work on.
                                                                                  Probably best to keep it with this thread, as that is a major focus of this build.
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 1886

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Norm

Hey Norm,

I've been going through a bit of a self induced crash course on vacuum tables for CNC Routers of late, just trying to get a feel for the process. I find the whole process less than optimal in terms of it being called "vacuum". I've worked in and around vacuum systems all the way down to 10 to the minus 12 torr range and this just seems like a kluge. So I'm also a little concerned with parts coming loose during the process as well. The vendors typical SOP is to onion skin the cuts (not go all the through until the very end) which I guess is common to keep the vacuum pressure up. We are going to perform some test cuts prior to the real parts being machined and will make modifications from there. It could turn out that I don't get invited back at the end of this, I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to details, but I hope that's not the case. It could be that we have to use a combination of clamping and vacuum to get through this. I'm visiting the shop tomorrow to get some CAD to CAM details tweaked and we hope to do some test cuts then. Thanks for the heads up though.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2009
                                                                                      • 173

#43
                                                                                      subscribed...

Comment

• dar47
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2008
                                                                                        • 876

#44
                                                                                        A few things I have learned, programming and tool path can be time consuming. Test your path on junk first, it my look nice on the screen but does it work as planned? Once that is down actual machine run time is not long and taking extra care with this expensive material should be the top priority. If it's a single sheet and flat the vacuum should work well. If your doing small pieces don't rely on vacuum. If your not cutting right through the material vacuum is nice, example driver recesses. If you are it's okay to take a couple passes and the onion skin thing on Bamboo works well, we did this with the Ardent baffles, Ben had this thin like paper. If your cutting glued up sheets and the sheet is not completely flat just put a sacrificial sheet under and level it with the machine using a big bit, then screw the material that's being cut down. Takes longer but then there will be no issues. It can be nerve racking handing this over to someone who is just learning their machine so if he not going to replace what he screws up I would watch the process and yes Steve be tough and go straight to screw down before you muck any Bamboo. Start cutting slow then increase speed it's time but it goes pretty fast. We cut full sheets in 12 to 15mins. With 2 sets of hands with 2 drills at work changing sheets that were screwed down goes fast too. You get a couple sheets cut right then you will be flying.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                                          • 1886

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by dar47
                                                                                          A few things I have learned, programming and tool path can be time consuming. Test your path on junk first, it my look nice on the screen but does it work as planned? Once that is down actual machine run time is not long and taking extra care with this expensive material should be the top priority. If it's a single sheet and flat the vacuum should work well. If your doing small pieces don't rely on vacuum. If your not cutting right through the material vacuum is nice, example driver recesses. If you are it's okay to take a couple passes and the onion skin thing on Bamboo works well, we did this with the Ardent baffles, Ben had this thin like paper. If your cutting glued up sheets and the sheet is not completely flat just put a sacrificial sheet under and level it with the machine using a big bit, then screw the material that's being cut down. Takes longer but then there will be no issues. It can be nerve racking handing this over to someone who is just learning their machine so if he not going to replace what he screws up I would watch the process and yes Steve be tough and go straight to screw down before you muck any Bamboo. Start cutting slow then increase speed it's time but it goes pretty fast. We cut full sheets in 12 to 15mins. With 2 sets of hands with 2 drills at work changing sheets that were screwed down goes fast too. You get a couple sheets cut right then you will be flying.
                                                                                          Thanks Darrell .... all very good advise. This has already become a bit nerve racking and we have not even started cutting wood yet. I would certainly feel better if it were just me doing all the work on a machine of my own, it would take 5 times longer but it would just be me to worry about. The biggest issue for the guy doing this is that the bigger machine start up, has has not gone smoothly as was the case with his smaller machine.

Fortunately we won't be cutting pieces that are small and no glued up pieces. Driver cutouts will be done by hand later on once the cabinets are glued up. Screw down will be an easy option with most of the parts as well since they have a bunch of alignment holes being cut for dowels later on.

We are also going to cut some test samples of each different piece with some other plywood to verify files and what not prior to using the bamboo.

You are certainly right about not blindly trusting the vacuum, the whole process is like trying to make a sail boat out of a kitchen colander. As I said earlier, if you got a few good vacuum tech's, (not engineers) together, they could come up with a system that worked considerably better.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"