X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1203
    • Apr 2006

RSP-1582 Audio Issue

Hello, I just recently had a surround sound system installed using the new Rotel RSP-1582 Processor. I am a loyal Rotel user and have been testing things out on this new unit for a few weeks now and for the most part, I am very happy with I've seen so far. However, there is a lingering and frustrating issue that I've experienced and would greatly welcome your input / solution..

I am noticing that on the Digital CD input (coax) and now the Blue tooth input, the music starts about 1-2 seconds into the track. This issue is only playing music - not video. Initially I thought I might have a defective CD player but it plays totally fine with no delay at all when I switch to the "SACD Analog Multi-Channel input. I have contacted the Rotel techs who have been great in trying to help me but had no immediate solution. There are still looking into my issue but said they had experienced this issue on an HDMI input but never digital CD or blue tooth.

I am not even 100% sure that the issue is with the Rotel processor. My installer has checked over all connection and found everything to be fine. Could it be a setting thats not right? Could it still be a problem with the installation? The fact that its now doing it on the Blue Tooth input also seems really strange.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
  • Patrick Butler
    • Jan 2014

Hi frank1203,

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue. While this is not something that I have experienced with the RSP-1582 (and I did a fair bit of beta testing), I will check ours out at the office tomorrow when I test an unrelated feature that RoMan was curious about. Which disc player are you using?

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
    B&W Group North America
    Bowers & Wilkins | Classé Audio | Rotel

Comment

• Mikael
      • Aug 2007

Hi
      I have the same problem with my RSP-1572 with the coax input it too cuts 2 seconds of sounds after each track ie the first 2 seconds of the next song.
      I hope my RSP1582 does not have that issue or perhaps a software update to fix it.

Comment

• frank1203
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Patrick Butler
        Hi frank1203,

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue. While this is not something that I have experienced with the RSP-1582 (and I did a fair bit of beta testing), I will check ours out at the office tomorrow when I test an unrelated feature that RoMan was curious about. Which disc player are you using?

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
        B&W Group North America
        Bowers & Wilkins | Classé Audio | Rotel
        Hello Patrick and thanks for your reply. I have been working with both Tyler and Eric at Rotel and they have been incredibly supportive on several questions I've had over the past few months including this one. Excellent customer service! It was mentioned that the RSP-1582 test units were unavailable for testing due to CES so hopefully the units are back and can be tested.

Certainly, I'd appreciate any help you can provide as well. My main concern is that now that I'm experiencing this 2 second delay with the blue tooth input as well, I'm wondering if its not the Rotel 1582 design at all and maybe something either unique to my specific 1582 or the way my system is installed/wired. Thats why I am posting because I'm trying to cover all angles of this until Rotel can provide me with an answer.

To answer your question - my CD player is an older Sony 5 disc changer that I bought in 2007. It has both CD and SACD capability. We have the system wired where the CD plays in the digital input and the SACD plays analog multi channel. As I mentioned there appears to be no delay at all in the multi channel.

I welcome your help and input!

Frank

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

It sounds to me like the Rotel is taking a few seconds to receive the digital feed and then to decide on how to process it. My Rotel receiver does this too but it's more like a half a second. For example, if I put in a HDCD encoded CD into my player and send it to the Rotel digitally via a coax cable, it takes a fraction of a second for it to recognize the feed and then displays it as HDCD on the display. What I find troublesome in your case is that it does this after each track !!?? That's odd!! If I stop the CD player, the display scrolls once again as a HDCD feed. If I then start it again, then the half second delay happens again. However, if I just let the entire disc play front to back there is no delay between tracks.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• frank1203
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by madmac
            It sounds to me like the Rotel is taking a few seconds to receive the digital feed and then to decide on how to process it. My Rotel receiver does this too but it's more like a half a second. For example, if I put in a HDCD encoded CD into my player and send it to the Rotel digitally via a coax cable, it takes a fraction of a second for it to recognize the feed and then displays it as HDCD on the display. What I find troublesome in your case is that it does this after each track !!?? That's odd!! If I stop the CD player, the display scrolls once again as a HDCD feed. If I then start it again, then the half second delay happens again. However, if I just let the entire disc play front to back there is no delay between tracks.
            Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is odd. It happens between every track when playing the CD player in the digital input. This occurs on any kind of CD (I mainly play Store bought CDs or my own MP3 CDs). Actually, the delay I'm experiencing might only be about a full second - maybe not 2 seconds - but same idea. Whats even more odd is that its doing it on the Blue Tooth input as well. So when I play music from my IPAD I get the same second delay! I wonder if the Blue Tooth input is digital or analog?

With that said, do you think there is a possibility its not a Rotel Processor issue - maybe something installed incorrectly in my system?

Comment

• TimbaLand
              • Aug 2013

It's a known Rotel issue. It's disappointing that this is still the case with the 1582

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                • Jan 2014

Not really.

I just tested an RSP-1582 with an Oppo BDP-93 and a Rotel RCD-1570 using digital Coax or Toslink for audio, and HDMI for video. I had zero issues. I also tested using Bluetooth as an audio source with video from the Oppo player.

No issues.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
                B&W Group North America

Originally posted by TimbaLand
                It's a known Rotel issue. It's disappointing that this is still the case with the 1582

Comment

• frank1203
                  • Apr 2006

Not really.

I just tested an RSP-1582 with an Oppo BDP-93 and a Rotel RCD-1570 using digital Coax or Toslink for audio, and HDMI for video. I had zero issues. I also tested using Bluetooth as an audio source with video from the Oppo player.

No issues.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
                  B&W Group North America

Thanks Patrick - So because you didn't find any issues in your testing that I should just be on my own now? This is a $3500 unit - not cheap to say the least and it should work flawlessly. What do you think the issue is then? Is it my specific 1582? Or something else?

There are so many variables here and I'm not convinced that your testing gets Rotel off the hook. In your testing - you used different equipment and most likely a different wiring set up than I have. I also used an IPAD for the Blue Tooth testing which is different than how you performed the testing.

I would really appreciate a solution here or at least a recommendation of next steps like other ideas I could test or try.. I would be happy to speak to you personally and let you actually hear whats going on specifically or send pictures of my set up if that would help.

Just frustrated that's all- Thank you.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Hey Frank, why don't you try a Toslink (Optical) cable and see if that works better? You'll have to go into the Rotel's menu and change the input method from coax to Toslink. Long shot but worth a try??

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                      • Jan 2014

Hi Frank,

To be clear, the two folks you've been working with regarding your particular issue are still working with you to resolve it. I had access to another RSP-1582 (which they did not), which I used for testing yesterday to see if there were any issues that were overlooked in beta testing. Regarding the wiring, wire either works or doesn't. True there may be some perceived differences in sound related to wiring, but it either meets a spec and works or not. The same goes for Bluetooth, especially when it comes to Apple products (I used my MacBook.) The latest RSP-1582 software from the server was used, which everyone using an RSP-1582 has access to. Version 2.54 to be exact.

My own two cents on your issue is to perform a "reset to factory default" (which we also recommend after updating the software.) Think of it as rebooting your computer. This is a common procedure with anything running software these days. Note- you will want to write down every one of the settings you have created (PEQ) before resetting the unit. Failure to do this may result in the loss of your data.

Best Regards,

Patrick
                      B&W Group North America

Originally posted by frank1203
                      Thanks Patrick - So because you didn't find any issues in your testing that I should just be on my own now? This is a $3500 unit - not cheap to say the least and it should work flawlessly. What do you think the issue is then? Is it my specific 1582? Or something else?

There are so many variables here and I'm not convinced that your testing gets Rotel off the hook. In your testing - you used different equipment and most likely a different wiring set up than I have. I also used an IPAD for the Blue Tooth testing which is different than how you performed the testing.

I would really appreciate a solution here or at least a recommendation of next steps like other ideas I could test or try.. I would be happy to speak to you personally and let you actually hear whats going on specifically or send pictures of my set up if that would help.

Just frustrated that's all- Thank you.

Comment

• Mikael
                        • Aug 2007

Hi Patrick
                        Off topic are B&W Group at CES 2016?

Comment

• frank1203
                          • Apr 2006

Hi Frank,

To be clear, the two folks you've been working with regarding your particular issue are still working with you to resolve it. I had access to another RSP-1582 (which they did not), which I used for testing yesterday to see if there were any issues that were overlooked in beta testing. Regarding the wiring, wire either works or doesn't. True there may be some perceived differences in sound related to wiring, but it either meets a spec and works or not. The same goes for Bluetooth, especially when it comes to Apple products (I used my MacBook.) The latest RSP-1582 software from the server was used, which everyone using an RSP-1582 has access to. Version 2.54 to be exact.

My own two cents on your issue is to perform a "reset to factory default" (which we also recommend after updating the software.) Think of it as rebooting your computer. This is a common procedure with anything running software these days. Note- you will want to write down every one of the settings you have created (PEQ) before resetting the unit. Failure to do this may result in the loss of your data.

Best Regards,

Patrick
                          B&W Group North America

Hello Patrick, Thanks for your post and here is an update for you..

I was contacted by Tyler at Rotel and he asked me to perform the following tests of which the last one was a factory reset.. I have detailed the test and the results below for you and the other posters to review.... I have also emailed the results to Tyler at Rotel...

Test No. 1 - Unplugged the power source of the RSP-1582. Waited 5 minutes and plugged it in again and checked both playing music from the Digital CD Coaxial and the Blue Tooth.
                          RESULT - NO CHANGE.. Both sources (CD Digital and Blue Tooth) still started the music tracks 1-2 seconds after the beginning on all tracks.

Test No. 2 - It was a thought that maybe the digital output on my Sony CD player was faulty so I connected the Sony CD player to a digital connection in my older Rotel RSX-1056.
                          RESULT - All music tracks started properly with no delay right at the beginning. There was no Blue Tooth test in test No. 2

Test No. 3 - I performed a Factory Reset of the RSP-1582. I took pictures of all the setting screens and the performed the factory reset exactly as we discussed.
                          RESULT - NO CHANGE.. Both sources (CD Digital and Blue Tooth) still started the music tracks 1-2 seconds after the beginning on all tracks.

So.. We now know that since we plugged the Sony into the RSX-1056 digital input and the tracks started perfectly, we know the Sony CD player digital output is not the problem. We also know that the power shut down and factory reset didn't help (even though it gave me a more work to re input all the settings)

In summary - unfortunately, the results keep pointing toward something with the overall design of the RSP-1582 or something unique to my RSP-1582.... I'm disappointed as I hoped it would have fixed this issue.

Finally - Madmac asked why I don't just plug the CD player into the Optical connection and try that.. I would have done that if I could have.. Its a long story, but the bottom line is that the CD player is on one floor of the house and the RSP-1582 is on a different floor and there is no optical cable long enough to allow for this connection which is why we are using coaxial.

I do have to say that everyone at Rotel has been great and is truly trying to help me. I don't feel alone in this and I know they are (and will) do everything in their power to eventually get resolved. Its just frustrating and time consuming along the way!

Thanks to everyone who is hanging in there with me.

FRANK

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

"the CD player is on one floor of the house and the RSP-1582 is on a different floor and there is no optical cable long enough to allow for this connection which is why we are using coaxial"

Your CD player is THAT far away from the unit???!! Houston, we may have a problem there! How long is your coax run exactly?? Honestly, for fun take your CD player down to the next floor and plug it into your 1582 with a 3-6 foot coax or Toslink cable and see what happens. I honestly don't think super long digital cable runs are a good idea. The same applies for HDMI as well. I would keep audio cable runs (Digital and analog..Except speaker cables) to no more than 10 feet ideally.

Comment

• frank1203
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                              "the CD player is on one floor of the house and the RSP-1582 is on a different floor and there is no optical cable long enough to allow for this connection which is why we are using coaxial"

Your CD player is THAT far away from the unit???!! Houston, we may have a problem there! How long is your coax run exactly?? Honestly, for fun take your CD player down to the next floor and plug it into your 1582 with a 3-6 foot coax or Toslink cable and see what happens. I honestly don't think super long digital cable runs are a good idea. The same applies for HDMI as well. I would keep audio cable runs (Digital and analog..Except speaker cables) to no more than 10 feet ideally.

Thanks madmac - Your input is greatly appreciated but easier said than done for a few reasons.

Due to space and efficiency reasons in my home - only the TV, Blue Ray and CD player reside on my first floor and everything else in in the basement Rotel equip; Comcast Box, etc.). The long wires have been like this for almost 9 years without one problem. I appreciate your input as far as length of cables but honestly that ship has sailed and you are the only one of very few who has considered that an issue. The wiring is very custom and was expensive to make this set up.

To answer your question though, I would estimate that the coax cables from the CD and Blue Ray players to the Rotel are about 40 feet long. The Blue ray HDMI cable is also about 40 feet. The HDMI TV hookup length is considerably less (probably 10-15 feet at most) because the TV is situated right above the Rotel location in the basement. Once again - I have never had one issue in all these years. The set up is very custom and was expensive to create.

Could I unplug the CD player and bring it down closer to the Rotel? Yes but not without a ton of hassle. The CD player probably has about 8 wires running out of it because of the Multi Channel hookup for the SACD player and other connections. It is also connected to a manual trigger and is located on a bookshelf right up against the wall which would all have to be moved. Based on the fact that the problem I'm experiencing is happening with the Blue Tooth input as well, I really not willing to disrupt all that wiring at this time for a hunch. If you can steer me to an optical cable that's about 40 feet please do so.

I'm not trying to come across like I don't appreciate your input because I truly do, but if you saw the complexity of my setup, you'd think twice too.

I thought Rotel gave me excellent tests to try and I followed all of their directions. I'm going to wait until I see what they have to say. Thanks!

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                • Oct 2007

While I'm not convinced it's the cause of your problem... @madmac is correct that 40ft is beyond the specification for both SPDIF and TOSLink (both are limited to 10m / 33ft).

What appears to be happening is that with the end of each track your Sony player is sending no signal, and then starts the signal at the beginning of each new track. This is causing the RSP1582 to have to lock on to the signal which it is taking a second or so, during which time the output is muted.

It appears not so much that one unit (Rotel RSP or Sony CDP) is faulty, but that there is a slight incompatibility between them.

Comment

• frank1203
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                                  While I'm not convinced it's the cause of your problem... @madmac is correct that 40ft is beyond the specification for both SPDIF and TOSLink (both are limited to 10m / 33ft).

What appears to be happening is that with the end of each track your Sony player is sending no signal, and then starts the signal at the beginning of each new track. This is causing the RSP1582 to have to lock on to the signal which it is taking a second or so, during which time the output is muted.

It appears not so much that one unit (Rotel RSP or Sony CDP) is faulty, but that there is a slight incompatibility between them.
                                  Not sure I agree. If the CD was the only issue I was experiencing, I might think twice. However, I am seeing this with the blue tooth as well. It appears as though it may be all digital inputs.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                    • Oct 2007

PS. Considering this is a new unit surely you can take it back to the dealer?

Comment

• frank1203
                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                                      PS. Considering this is a new unit surely you can take it back to the dealer?
                                      I'm sure I would be able to return it if necessary and yes its new unit. I'm just waiting for Rotel to let me know what the next steps are. I keep thinking the issue may be unique to my 1582 specifically since Patrick tried to replicate the issue on a Rotel demo unit and it worked fine for him.

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

I'm sure I would be able to return it if necessary and yes its new unit. I'm just waiting for Rotel to let me know what the next steps are. I keep thinking the issue may be unique to my 1582 specifically since Patrick tried to replicate the issue on a Rotel demo unit and it worked fine for him.
                                        I'm sure Patrick didn't test his unit with 40 foot digital coax cables!! I still contend that this length of a digital run is not a good idea! Heck, it's not a great idea even for speaker cable. That's damn long !!

Comment

• PowerCommander
                                          • Dec 2015

Cabling isn't the issue since he did mention the bluetooth does it as well. Also I'm sure he likely used same cabling when he mentioned he used Oppo BDP-93 and a Rotel RCD-1570 with no issues so rules out cables... The way it sounds like to me is that the issue is with the processing of digital signals... There's another person on here "Sunebak" who also has the same system. Maybe he can tune in and test for to see if his 1582 does the same thing with tracks....

Comment

• function12
                                            • Oct 2007

Here is a 50ft toslink. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...l-Audio-Cable/
                                            Not saying that is the issue but someone was asking for a long one.
                                            Sounds like a signal handshake issue. I have the similar problem with my Samsung TV and Rotel 1068. I set the sound to 5 channel audio when listen to Pandora. Every song it changes back to Dolby Digital.

Comment

• TomInKY
                                              • Jan 2016

Well, I've been curious if the HDMI audio lock delay thingy that I'm experiencing with my brand new RSP-1572 had been fixed in the new model. It's annoying as heck to have it delay the sound while watching DirecTV, especially when it goes from the main program in Dolby Digital to commercials of a different type. It also pops in the speakers. Was hoping this wasn't going to be an issue as I was thinking about swapping it for the 1582.

Comment

• sunebak
                                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by PowerCommander
                                                Cabling isn't the issue since he did mention the bluetooth does it as well. Also I'm sure he likely used same cabling when he mentioned he used Oppo BDP-93 and a Rotel RCD-1570 with no issues so rules out cables... The way it sounds like to me is that the issue is with the processing of digital signals... There's another person on here "Sunebak" who also has the same system. Maybe he can tune in and test for to see if his 1582 does the same thing with tracks....
                                                Hi, i can confirm that i also get a short "handshake" delay between songs when i am streaming Tidal audio from my Ipad using the bluetooth connection to my RSP-1582. If i use Tidal on my OPPO 105 D, it is the same thing, i still get a short handshake delay, where the music is muted. No popping sounds or anything. When watching TV with my Yousee TV set top box connected, on the same channel, and the program theme theme, i sometimes experience a relay shift kind of sound from the processor, and sometimes a popping sound in the speakers. As my TV set top box is from 2009, i am not surprised if there could be some hardware handshakes out of sync h:

I must add that regardless of the above experiences, i am still extremely pleased with the sound and performance of the new processor. But hopefully a software update to the processor, or eventually a new set top box will help fix some of these handshake problems.

Comment

• frank1203
                                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by sunebak
                                                  Hi, i can confirm that i also get a short "handshake" delay between songs when i am streaming Tidal audio from my Ipad using the bluetooth connection to my RSP-1582. If i use Tidal on my OPPO 105 D, it is the same thing, i still get a short handshake delay, where the music is muted. No popping sounds or anything. When watching TV with my Yousee TV set top box connected, on the same channel, and the program theme theme, i sometimes experience a relay shift kind of sound from the processor, and sometimes a popping sound in the speakers. As my TV set top box is from 2009, i am not surprised if there could be some hardware handshakes out of sync h:

I must add that regardless of the above experiences, i am still extremely pleased with the sound and performance of the new processor. But hopefully a software update to the processor, or eventually a new set top box will help fix some of these handshake problems.

Hello everyone. This is Frank - the originator of this post. Its been a few weeks so I wanted to give everyone an update. First off, thanks to all for your help and ideas.

The bottom line is that the CD and Blue Tooth delay issues I have been discussing in this post were in fact replicated and confirmed by Rotel and they have been submitted to the Engineering department for diagnosis and an eventual fix. The folks at Rotel have provided nothing short of excellent customer service to me. They even went as far as to replace my 1582 thinking at one point that it might have just been a unique issue in my device only. Turns out the replacement is experiencing the exact same issues. As some of you recommended - because you thought my wiring was much too long, I even connected the CD player using a short 6 foot Toslink and the issue did not go away. I have ran every test that Rotel has asked and spent alot of my own time and money doing it.

We all want instant gratification, but now I just need to be patient and hope that the issues can be resolved in a reasonable amount of time. I stay in contact with Rotel and they want things to be corrected just as badly as I do. In the meantime, I will listen to my CDs using an analog connection and hope for a quick solution.

I also agree with sunebak that regardless of these issues, the 1582 it is a great processor and the sound and overall quality is amazing. I have it running using two amps (RMB-1095 with the fronts bi-amped; and the 1552-MKII) and the sound is remarkable. The PEQ adds an entirely new dimension for someone like me who likes certain boosts in the high frequency range.

Frank

Comment

• TomInKY
                                                    • Jan 2016

I wish you guys success in solving the problem. After reading additional posts, I sent back the Rotel and didn't opt for the RSP-1582. Went to another brand's latest model (a tad more expensive) but have had NONE of the delays, pops, on-screen displays of what type of sound signal I'm getting, etc. Just too annoying for me. Good luck.

Comment

• function12
                                                      • Oct 2007

Has this been fixed or resolved?

Comment

• frank1203
                                                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by function12
                                                        Has this been fixed or resolved?
                                                        Hello,

The short answer is No and I am very frustrated.
                                                        This issue has been lingering for about 4 months now. I do touch base with my contact Rotel once every couple weeks and he is very nice but am not feeling like this significant issue is getting any priority as it sounds like the Engineers who are looking into this have several other issues they are working as well. Its disappointing because now I am getting the delay issue on EVERY digital input (including HDMI) and not just the digital coax; optical and Blue Tooth. This is a high impact issue and I am really trying to be patient but so far - nothing.

Comment

• jam200
                                                          • Jan 2009

TomInKY, what did you purchase instead of the Rotel 1582? Thanks.

Comment

• jam200
                                                            • Jan 2009

Anyone have a followup to this issue. Was it resolved?

Comment

• frank1203
                                                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jam200
                                                              Anyone have a followup to this issue. Was it resolved?
                                                              I appreciate you asking - and the answer is still NO. I have been as patient as patient can be, but its becoming increasingly difficult and very frustrating when you shell out $3500 for a unit that has issues. I am a life long Rotel customer and never expected this.

Back in early June, there was a Software beta file that we tested and there were some improvements to my digital delay issue, but the coax and Toslink inputs were still having the delay issue, just not 100% of the time (maybe 60%-70%) of the time. Whatever the corrections that were in that software beta file appeared to be on the right track but were just still not right yet. The person I'm working with and who I did the testing with was very helpful and said he would take this back to the Engineers. That was over two months ago and I'm still waiting for a solution. I contact him weekly for an update but we still have nothing new.

Bottom line is it has been over 8 months since I brought the issue to Rotel. Although the people I'm working with are very nice, I truly feel that my issues have received very little priority and its disappointing. You would think that an issue like this would hurt sales of their "flagship" unit, but I guess most people use analog when playing CDs. Guess I'm the outcast who likes the digital sound with the PEQ.

Comment

• jam200
                                                                • Jan 2009

I'm contemplating buying the RSP 1582 and have discussed these issues with my dealer. He has not experienced or had anyone inform him of similar issues. Just wanted to see how Rotel was treating you. I've been a Rotel owner for over 20 years and like their products. Sorry to learn about your situation and the difficulties you've gone through. Hope they are able to resolve these issues for you. Regards.

Comment

• jam200
                                                                  • Jan 2009

I currently have a RSP-1069 and it gets very hot. How hot does the 1582 get during video and audio playback?

Comment

• frank1203
                                                                    • Apr 2006

I currently have a RSP-1069 and it gets very hot. How hot does the 1582 get during video and audio playback?
                                                                    Hello again Jam200, This is Frank; the originator of this post. Thanks for your reply. I am going to respond to both of your posts..

(1) As far as my continuing "delay" issue, remember that it is only happening when I play music digitally thru a coax or toslink connection. A lot of purists won't play music thru digital means and use the straight analog connection which has never had any issues at all on the RSP-1582. The SACD sound is truly phenomenal! I just prefer the sound using digital AND it affords me the opportunity to use the built in PEQ which is a great feature on the 1582 as I prefer a bit more "highs" in my music.

Even if people use the analog input only, it doesn't mean Rotel should not have gotten this right before they marketed this product. Rotel has been very helpful, just slow. We tried everything to see if there was some shortcoming in my set up or my specific RSP-1582 unit - and there was not. This has cost me a significant amount of my time as well as extra money because I had to pay my installer to "reinstall" the new 1582 only to find out that it didn't help. Rotel was also able to verify the delay issue through their testing as well. I was seeing this on every digital input in the 1582 including the blue tooth and HDMI thru my testing. The new beta software that we tried in June seems to have corrected the Blue Tooth and HDMI delay issues but only "improved" the coax and toslink so like I mentioned yesterday, we appear to be on the right track and I am very anxious to get a new software file to test!

I can't explain why your dealer has told you that he has seen no issues like mine. Maybe his users only play in analog or maybe there is something unique to my setup but like I said, we eliminated that belief when I played my existing devices (CD player, Blue Ray, etc.) through my older Rotel RSX-1056 on the digital inputs and had absolutely no delay. I will never say that Rotel hasn't tried to help - they truly have - my only criticism is that coming up with a fix has been extremely slow and I feel like I got very little priority. I had other minor issues as well, that I won't bring up here relating to a lot less codes on the remote for the 1582 (compared to older Rotel units), that won't translate to my universal remote. I'm guessing that like you mentioned with your dealer, maybe they are not hearing a lot of the issues I am bringing forward and for whatever reason the priority was lower. Honestly - I'm still optimistic that we will get there, just at a continued slow pace. In the meantime, I remain frustrated and use analog or just put up with the delay.

(2) As far as your other question about does the unit run hot during playback - absolutely No. Everything seems fine. The only issue I ever had with the device itself is that it takes a while to boot up the 1582 everytime I turn it on and that's a known issue that I van live with and doesn't appear to be on the fix list.

I'm happy to talk further if you'd like. I hope I helped you.

Comment

• jam200
                                                                      • Jan 2009

Frank, thanks for your advice. Music is a joy to listen to and using the best means to do so is why we buy products like the RSP-1582. These are very complex devices and I'm sure Rotel realizes that any software fix must not also break something else. The slowness of response is most likely their being careful to address the issues you've identified. The good news is that several items have been addressed and fixed. Now, hopefully, they are able to address the use of digital cables through the digital inputs. I also use coax for connecting my cd player to the 1069, so we'll see if I also have a similar issue with the 1582.

My dealer was aware of the issues you identified, just that no one had returned a Rotel 1582 because of them. He's a long-time Rotel dealer, over 20 years. We had a long discussion about my purchasing a RC-1580 (pre-amp) for music and using the pre-outs to connect to my RSP-1069. This would have separated the analog activity for music from the digital activity for video. In the long-term we both agreed that the newer technology in the 1582 for both analog and video was better for the future than the technology used in the 1069. I also like to play my LPs so I'm gettting my vintage Yamaha Y-PD71 phonograph reconditioned as well. Have to decide if the 1582 built-in phono pre-amp is good to use or will I need a new Rega Mini phono pre-amp. Have you used the Rotel 1582's phono pre-amp? If yes, are you pleased with its' sound?

I appreciate your feedback. Hope to have my new 1582 in 7 - 10 days. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

• frank1203
                                                                        • Apr 2006

Thanks for your reply Jam200. I think you are ultimately doing the right thing by upgrading / purchasing the RSP-1582 and I wish you good luck with everything! You are one of a very few amount of people I know who like to connect the CD player to digital. I also go to a Rotel dealer who has been around for years and he said that is unheard of amongst audio purist's! Again, I'm thinking that's why your dealer (and my dealer) have not seen returns because lot of folks don't use that input. So, I hope they get it right for you and me!

As far as your phono question. Too funny.. I do use it and have a Sony Linear tracking turntable from 1985 that still kicks butt - hooked up to the phono inputs on the 1582 and have no issue. I used to have a phono preamp with my RSX--1056 but sold it as it was not needed any longer when I bought the 1582. Be cautious as the 1582 only uses Moving Magnet or Moving coil cartridges (I forget which but check it). I did upgrade to a new cartridge when I got the 1582 and things sound great. Again, I'm not a lover of flat music (unequalized music) but the vinyl does sound clean. I plan on incorporating my graphic EQ (also from the 80s) to boost some of the frequencies on the turntable as well.

When you get the system and have questions, let me know. I've owned it since last November and was probably one of the first to purchase it.
                                                                        Last edited by frank1203; 23 August 2016, 19:39 Tuesday.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

.. I do use it and have a Sony Linear tracking turntable from 1985 that still kicks butt - hooked up to the phono inputs on the 1582 and have no issue.....
                                                                          those old Sony linear trackers are still V good tables........a vintage equipment shop here in PGH has one we listen to often.
                                                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jam200
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Jan 2009
                                                                            • 93

Hi Frank: I'm listening to the BeeGees Greatest Hits on my Pioneer Elite CD player using the digital coax connection on my 1582. When I was setting up the player, I noticed that the default setting for the audio delay was 100ms. I changed that to 0ms and the music starts without a delay. I almost missed that setting as I was concentrating on the correct digital input. Anychance that could have been the problem?

Comment

• frank1203
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Apr 2006
                                                                              • 78

#39
                                                                              Hi Frank: I'm listening to the BeeGees Greatest Hits on my Pioneer Elite CD player using the digital coax connection on my 1582. When I was setting up the player, I noticed that the default setting for the audio delay was 100ms. I changed that to 0ms and the music starts without a delay. I almost missed that setting as I was concentrating on the correct digital input. Anychance that could have been the problem?
                                                                              Hi Jam, Thanks for the tip. Are you talking about a setting on the CD player or the RSP-1582? I never touched anything on the CD player.
                                                                              I know that Rotel had verified all my settings on the 1582 when we first raised the issue but you never know. Quick question - are you getting the delay when you change the setting to100ms?

Comment

• jam200
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jan 2009
                                                                                • 93

#40
                                                                                Hi Frank, The setting is on the Rotel input menu for the CD Player. When I changed the output to Coax 3, I noticed there was a audio delay setting. I just tested it at 100ms, could not tell the difference. What was interesting is that I had originally reset the audio delay to 0ms and it had returned to 30ms on its own. Anyway, I've not exerienced any of what you've been experiencing on the digital settings.

Comment

• frank1203
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2006
                                                                                  • 78

#41
                                                                                  Hi Frank, The setting is on the Rotel input menu for the CD Player. When I changed the output to Coax 3, I noticed there was a audio delay setting. I just tested it at 100ms, could not tell the difference. What was interesting is that I had originally reset the audio delay to 0ms and it had returned to 30ms on its own. Anyway, I've not experienced any of what you've been experiencing on the digital settings.
                                                                                  That's great to hear! I will still take your idea and try it on my set up. Can't hurt. I am using both Coax1 and Optical for the CD. However, this issue may already be resolved in kind of a weird way.. I posted earlier this week that I get no audio when I start up the 1582 in digital at all. But when I start up in analog and then switch to digital while the 1582 is still powered on - I get audio and the delay is gone. Weird huh? I hope that the situations I am experiencing are unique to my set up only but I think you had mentioned in a prior post that your Rotel dealer had known about the delay problem. Maybe I have like a "perfect storm" scenario when my older Sony SACD player and the 1582 play together. Rotel is still working on a new software update that I'm hearing will address this. Which version do you have that came with the unit?

Comment

• jam200
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2009
                                                                                    • 93

#42
                                                                                    Updated the software as soon as I got the unit. It was the first thing I did when I plugged it in. The current software update is 2.60.

Comment

• frank1203
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2006
                                                                                      • 78

#43
                                                                                      Thank you. Yes, thats an old update that was released in March 2016. If you read what the updates do, there aren't alot of changes that affect the working of the unit, just some clean up. Mine is currently running a beta version from June as Rotel was hoping this could fix my delay issue. It made it better but didn't completely solve the problem. I also wonder if it created that issue I described where the unit will only work when you start up in analog. Since then, there have been no updates but I know they are working on them. I appreciate your feedback. As you keep testing, please continue your posts as they are very helpful. I'll do the same.

Comment

• frank1203
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2006
                                                                                        • 78

#44
                                                                                        New Software Update! V2.72 !!

Hello All, Just wanted to give you an update on my lingering issues with the RSP-1582 since the beginning of the year.
                                                                                        I went into the Rotel Software Update website earlier and low and behold! There is a new software version that was just released! It is version V2.72 and it is supposed to resolve numerous issues found on the RSP-1582 including my lingering 1 second audio delay issue when using coax/optical inputs. You can read the details in the release notes. For those of you who have been reading my posts and walking me off the ledge a few times, it looks like we may finally have something! I can't wait to try it. FRANK

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 5673

#45
                                                                                          thanks for the update.
                                                                                          hope this works for you.
                                                                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"