X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrechtVD
    • Aug 2014

X-Over full range speaker

Hi,

If someone has some time over and just do a quick look on this X-Over for a little full range speaker with a Fountek FE85 in a vented box tuned on 94Hz with a volume of 2 liter
    Because it would be nice if someone with more knowledge then me could say if it looks good or not. Did I make a nooby mistake or something like that?? …
    For example the Inductor, for me it looks quite big, but maybe that’s just me

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZMA_Fountek_FE85.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	871397Click image for larger version

Name:	X-Over_Fountek_FE85.JPG
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	871398Click image for larger version

Name:	FRD_Fountek_FE85.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	871399

Then the question for the capacitor I used in the X-over, since it is not for a filter but just for impedance compensation. Could I then just use a electrolytic cap for this??

Because for me it would seems crazy that I take a cap for my X-Over that cost 25% of my driver. Ok I have cheap drivers, but I just want to start with the audio thing without “risking” to much money and that’s also why it is a “simple” full range speaker with cheap driver ^^ .

Thanks in advance!!
    Brecht V.D.
    DIY Audio °Roads Untraveled° to me,
    °In My Remains° , those who brought me °One Step Closer° to •The Story• of beautiful audio •Up In The Air•

°Linkin Park° •30 Seconds to Mars•
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

Looks fine to me and yes and electrolytic capacitor is fine for that position, but do remember that you want a low ESR non polar version specifically designed for crossovers.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• BrechtVD
      • Aug 2014

Thanks for the response!!
      I really didn't expect there would be nothing wrong
      °In My Remains° , those who brought me °One Step Closer° to •The Story• of beautiful audio •Up In The Air•

Comment

• BrechtVD
        • Aug 2014

These are the results of some days of working on the speakers, and I am happy with the results, not without faults (woodworking thing) but good enough for me .

They sound fine to me but I just have no reference to compare with or no equipment to measure. So therefore the next pair of speakers will be a proven design. Maybe then I will be really blown away
        But I would done it the same just because you learn so much by doing it all yourself (even on a simple fullrange vented speaker) if you ask yourself with every step. Am I doing this right??

And again thanks to the people who helped me mostly with nooby questions, but you have to start somewhere, and this is the result

Name:	DSCN4669.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	859574

Name:	DSCN4671.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	859575

Name:	DSCN4678.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	859576

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I think they look great. That second photo looks like you have a nice dark stain on them. I don't know if you do, or if it is just the photo, but you should consider it. The end grain might not take stain how you expect, so you may have to experiment there too. But this is the best way to do it. Just build something small and play with it. I think you're doing great. :T
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

It would be interesting to build something like this out of LBL... end grain finishing wouldn't be much of a problem, you'd just have to be prepared for going through a few router bits, as hard as LBL is compared with standard woods. Of course, it wouldn't be cheap, either, but then with a small design, kine problema.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

I think they look great too! Well done and I'm glad you're enjoying them.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• BrechtVD
                • Aug 2014

They still look like the firt photo, it's just bad lighting

I would paint the front baffle red (just the front baffle) and leave the rest as it is now.
                Becaus I have some paint laying around from painting a tractor XD, but that’s not for now it’s way too cold to do it like it should be.

And probably also some transparent wood protection on the sides but I just want to keep the look of the sides as they are, that was too much work to just overpaint it

And Jon, what's LBL??

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  It would be interesting to build something like this out of LBL... end grain finishing wouldn't be much of a problem, you'd just have to be prepared for going through a few router bits, as hard as LBL is compared with standard woods. Of course, it wouldn't be cheap, either, but then with a small design, kine problema.
                  I'm starting to think the "golden parachute" Jon has discussed in other threads is a partnership in an LBL supplier.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"