New center channels for the Statements II and The Finalists!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

New center channels for the Statements II and The Finalists!

You can't have a new speaker without a new center channel to compliment it for home theater.

Statements II and The Finalists Center Channel

During the last several years the original Statements have been frequently used as mains for home theater systems. The original Statements center was designed to be as small as possible and integrate seamlessly with the Statements by also utilizing an open back design. That worked great for me in my home theater/listening room, but for many, it did not due to the open back mid.

Enter the Statements II Center

Along with the new Statements II design, Curt and I felt it was time to rethink and create a new center channel for it along with a similar variation for The Finalists design. Since the drivers and voicing are similar for both The Finalists and Statements II, the center channel designs vary only in the tweeter used and crossover changes to accommodate the difference between the two drivers.

Yes, size matters!

But, you can only use a cabinet so small for two 8” woofers, two mid-woofers and a tweeter/ribbon sitting on top of them. The cabinet measures 34”W x 11 ½”H x 12 ½”D. The cabinets for both speaker systems are sealed for both bass and midrange. I experimented extensively with the original Statements center and found that a sealed center design worked great with the Statements since the main purpose of the center is to anchor the sound to the screen. The cabinet is not insignificant in size but allows many more placement options than the original open back design. For example, it makes a great TV stand!

Integration is perfect!

Since the center channel duplicates the driver compliment in the mains, they’re a perfect match. Center channels carry up to 70% of the sound in a typical movie and are arguably the most important speaker in a high performance home theater system. Since the center is so closely matched to the mains, panning, bass extension and high frequencies integrate seamlessly and have the ability to reproduce dialogue with exceptional clarity.

The Finalists and Statements II centers are both the same except for ribbon vs dome and the crossover changes in the tweeter circuit. The picture is of my larger cabinet rather than the one that is speced at 34" wide. I had a pair of original RS225 shielded drivers on hand so I built a sealed Statement on it's side. The cabinet drawings will be available from Curt's website and Meniscus.

Enjoy!

JimClick image for larger version  Name:	DSC_5793 (Large).jpg Views:	2 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	871325

Click image for larger version

Name:	StatementCCnetworksRibbon041214.jpg
Views:	5863
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	871339

Name:	StatementCCnetworksRS28F041214.jpg
Views:	5895
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	871340

Name:	Finalists Center Cabinet Front.jpg
Views:	4919
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	871484

Name:	Finalists Center Cabinet Back & Cutlist.jpg
Views:	4791
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	871485
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 19:30 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Hey Jim, nice work. I especially like the changes to center!

Quick question, if one were to run the Vifa in the front LCR, would it be permissible to run the W4-1337's in the original statement monitors as surrounds?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kevinm
      Hey Jim, nice work. I especially like the changes to center!

Quick question, if one were to run the Vifa in the front LCR, would it be permissible to run the W4-1337's in the original statement monitors as surrounds?
      Absolutely! You just described my system exactly. Statements Monitors are over kill as surrounds but they work so well doing that duty! I run everything as large and they handle it without breaking a sweat on even the most demanding movies. The subs are rolled in around 50 hz. for the extreme bottom end.

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
        • Jun 2013

Ahh, perfect! I can comfortably give into the temptation to upgrade knowing that I will be using the W4-1337's later! This is an excellent bargaining chip with the 'ole better half. Great timing too. More to build and play with this summer! Most excellent.

Comment

• BBLV
          • Dec 2007

This wait for more details is killin me. Is it normal to check this forum and speakerdesignworks.com 4 times a day for updates??? :lol::twisted:

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BBLV
            This wait for more details is killin me. Is it normal to check this forum and speakerdesignworks.com 4 times a day for updates??? :lol::twisted:
            Sorry for the very slow reply. Check with Mark at Meniscus for kit information. Curt should have the info up before long. He's extremely busy with work at the moment.

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
              • Jun 2013

Hey Jim, any chance you can upload (or list) the resistor changes for the Statement version of the CC? As far as I can see, it looks like a few resistors for the mid/tweet are different from the full size Statements.

Thanks!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Hey Jim, any chance you can upload (or list) the resistor changes for the Statement version of the CC? As far as I can see, it looks like a few resistors for the mid/tweet are different from the full size Statements.

Thanks!
                Hi Kevin,

I've not had time to create a BOM for the projects. Meniscus has the parts list as part of the kit they're offering so I've not taken the time to do one. It'll be a awhile before I get caught up to the point I can get one done.

Sorry!

Jim

Comment

• fordmaker
                  • May 2009

Box construction

Jim,
                  Can you clarify the placement of the 1/2" strips and 4"x10" braces? I presume the strips are equally spaced, one over the other, leaving slots connecting the two RS225 compartments. The 4"x10" braces appear to be horizontal, mid height in the box, and bracing the speaker side, speaker back, and mid compartment. Also, should the baffle edges have a roundover?

Thanks,
                  Matt

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fordmaker
                    Jim,
                    Can you clarify the placement of the 1/2" strips and 4"x10" braces? I presume the strips are equally spaced, one over the other, leaving slots connecting the two RS225 compartments. The 4"x10" braces appear to be horizontal, mid height in the box, and bracing the speaker side, speaker back, and mid compartment. Also, should the baffle edges have a roundover?

Thanks,
                    Matt
                    Hi Matt,

The (2) 1/2" strips are placed horizontally between the the mid compartment and the inner wall of the cabinet back to tie everything together and make the cabinet solid. I spaced them evenly so wires could pass through from the woofer. You should stuff the space between the mid and the inner back heavily with either foam or acoustic fiber after the wires are threaded through. Since it's a small space, we want to eliminate any port effect between woofers.

The braces behind the woofers were placed in the middle of the back wall of the cabinet to tie the mid compartment, back wall and cabinet ends together for strength. If you need to move them up or down a bit for crossover clearance or whatever, it won't hurt a thing. It's just a brace.

The cabinet is very solid when assembled.

No roundover is required.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
                      • Jun 2013

Hey Jim, one more question I didn't see in Mark's plans....is the mid chamber stuffed or lined?

Thanks!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Hey Jim, one more question I didn't see in Mark's plans....is the mid chamber stuffed or lined?

Thanks!
                        Actually, I did a little bit of both. I lined the walls with 2" foam and then added a little stuffing in the cracks and loosely filled the back 1/2. I don't think it's critical which you use as long as you kill the back wave.

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
                          • Jun 2013

Perfect...thanks!

Comment

• kevinm
                            • Jun 2013

Hey Jim,

I threw the dimensions into Sketchup to help reduce my cut mistakes...does this look correct?

Name:	OiGu9of.png
Views:	429
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	935656

Front

Name:	yBHsGZv.png
Views:	431
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	935657

Name:	tTjzjn1.png
Views:	425
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	935658

Back

Name:	rekqEGw.png
Views:	413
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	935659
                            Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 19:27 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• fordmaker
                              • May 2009

Kevin,
                              It looks like you have the front panel as one solid piece, instead of (3/4") 32 1/2" x 10" inner front and (1/2") 34" x 11 1/2" outer front pieces. The back panel looks like a 34" piece instead of an inset 32 1/2 piece. My plans also show the side pieces to be 12" x 10".

As I look at this, I think we may be working from different cut sheets. My plans show what may be a functionally identical box, but with the pieces fitting together and overlapping differently. I'll stay tuned to see Jim's comments.

Comment

• kevinm
                                • Jun 2013

Mark is that you?

I did notice that on the drawings....but I knew that would screw me up when I was making my cuts, so I improvised. The front is setup as 3/4in + 1/2in glued together - only because that's how I've always done it. Do you have experience behind your method? Is it easier?

Comment

• fordmaker
                                  • May 2009

Kevin,
                                  Sorry, I should've signed my previous post. I'm Matt!
                                  This will be my first cabinet build, so I can't speak for the designers on what may be easier or better. I was just comparing your Sketchup pics to what I have on paper. It would seem that we may be working from the same plans after all, which is cool. I show 3 9/16" from tweeter center to top of box vs. your 3 19/64". Perhaps the sketch I have shows the hole for the RS28F and I need to go back and verify what it should be for the ribbon. I appreciate your work ironing out the details and measuring twice (before cutting, hopefully, just once)!

Matt
                                  Last edited by fordmaker; 31 July 2014, 21:12 Thursday.

Comment

• kevinm
                                    • Jun 2013

Hey Matt, no problem. For a minute I thought you were Mark from Madisound. Good catch on the tweeter height - you are correct.

Now I just have to figure out how to change it....hmmm

I've always used configurations like my schematics above because they are the easiest for me to conceptualize while I am cutting/gluing together. Separating the baffle boards into separates will make it easier to flush trim since you'll be only flush trimming 3/4in. I think a lot of people keep them separate incase they botch one of the cuts up. However, I was worried about trying to match driver holes on two separate boards, so I prefer to glue it together, then cut out the driver holes and then glue to the cabinet. As they say, there are more than one to skin a cat!

(A rather gruesome idiom when you think about it)

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Ok, the tweeter hole center is 3 9/16" for both the NeoCD3.0 and RS28F. They're close enough in size that the actual position didn't need to change. However, the cutout and recess are different for each driver. Please measure the actual driver before cutting for accuracy. I usually add a 1/16" for "slack" but you may be more precise at cabinet making than I am. 8O

The 2nd question regarding the cabinet panels. I cut them a little different so that the fewest seams would be visible but still be easy to assemble. So. here's what I did and what the cut list should be based on;

Top & bottom are 34" x 12"

Inner front & back are 32 1/2" x 10"

Sides are 10" x 12"

Outer front (1/2") 34" x 11 1/2"

The inner front, back and sides should be sandwiched between the top and bottom with a full width 1/2" thick front baffle.

I inner mid pannels consist of;

(2) 10" x 10" panels

(1) 10' x 11" panel

This provides a 11" x 10" inner mid compartment.

I hope this makes sense.

I'd like to have copies of your sketch up drawings when you get done.

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
                                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                        I cut them a little different so that the fewest seams would be visible but still be easy to assemble.
                                        Ahhh, the reason behind the madness. Makes a lot of sense now...

I've started covering my cabinets in 1/8in hardboard because of the seems...easier to hide from the little experimentation I've tried. I could never fully hide the seams.

Do you have any special tricks that work for you? Or are you using laminate?

Comment

• kevinm
                                          • Jun 2013

Hey Jim....take a look at this...I just threw it together...

I kept my dimensions and cut list for my own simplicity. I can always make one using your cut list if needed...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Hey Jim....take a look at this...I just threw it together...

I kept my dimensions and cut list for my own simplicity. I can always make one using your cut list if needed...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Drawings.pdf
                                            That looks great! The cut list is perfect and would correspond to the way most folks assemble their cabinets. Since the only difference between The Finalists and Statements II center cabinet is the cutout and recess dimensions, is there any way it could be changed and saved as two files? One for the Statements II and one for The Finalists? The drawing is excellent!

You'd ask if I had any special tricks on cabinet building. I'm a "challenged" cabinet builder. I get it done but I'm super slow and they always have mistakes. I found sheets of 1/8" MDF sometime ago and I use that as a cap over end seams to cover for a smooth surface. I'd think that hardboard would work the same.

Thank you for the drawings! They look great!

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
                                              • Jun 2013

No problem...here you go!

Statement II Center:

Finalist Center:

I always appreciate learning that I'm not the only challenged cabinet builder out there!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

No problem...here you go!

Statement II Center:

Finalist Center:

I always appreciate learning that I'm not the only challenged cabinet builder out there!
                                                Excellent! Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Jim

Comment

• kevinm
                                                  • Jun 2013

No problem. It's the least I could do for all the enjoyment I get out of you and Curt's hardwork!

Comment

• fordmaker
                                                    • May 2009

Jim,
                                                    Would you recommend increasing the enclosure volume a smidgen if using the older shielded RS225-8's?
                                                    (I see you used them in your personal build and you indicated it was oversized.)
                                                    Last edited by fordmaker; 09 August 2014, 13:48 Saturday. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fordmaker
                                                      Jim,
                                                      Would you recommend increasing the enclosure volume a smidgen if using the older shielded RS225-8's?
                                                      (I see you used them in your personal build and you indicated it was oversized.)
                                                      Mine was oversized for appearance reasons because I wanted to match my sub. Sealed cabinets are very forgiving. The 34" width works out to about a .8 alignment with a F/3 of 52 Hz.

Jim

Comment

• poppapig
                                                        • Mar 2014

Sure wish I had seen this sooner! I just started a Statement center channel build Sunday and am about half way there! I really dragged my feet as I wanted the center to compete in stature with my L/R Statements.. This cabinet design is just the ticket however I had not planned on making the Vifa mid switch. Can I use Statement II cc cabinet design for the floorstanding Statement I driver/crossover?

BTW: I owe you a listening impressions writeup!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by poppapig
                                                          Sure wish I had seen this sooner! I just started a Statement center channel build Sunday and am about half way there! I really dragged my feet as I wanted the center to compete in stature with my L/R Statements.. This cabinet design is just the ticket however I had not planned on making the Vifa mid switch. Can I use Statement II cc cabinet design for the floorstanding Statement I driver/crossover?

BTW: I owe you a listening impressions writeup!
                                                          Sure, use this cabinet design with the Jed's Frodaddy crossover design and the W4-1337 mids. There's nothing wrong with Frodaddy's cabinet design either. They'll both sound the same.

Jim

Comment

• poppapig
                                                            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                            Sure, use this cabinet design with the Jed's Frodaddy crossover design and the W4-1337 mids. There's nothing wrong with Frodaddy's cabinet design either. They'll both sound the same.
                                                            Jim
                                                            Thank you Jim. I'll be kicking off the build tonight. I'll have to find another purpose for the Statement center
                                                            Is there a particular powered DIY sub design you like supporting Statements?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by poppapig
                                                              Thank you Jim. I'll be kicking off the build tonight. I'll have to find another purpose for the Statement center
                                                              Is there a particular powered DIY sub design you like supporting Statements?
                                                              I don't have a favorite sub. I use dual 15" Tempest X2's and like them a lot but they're NLA. The guidelines I'd suggest are buy drivers that are low distortion, and have a sealed F/3 of at least the low 30's. That gives a very smooth rolloff with great bass to 20 Hz. with a little EQ. I like a lot of Xmax. The Statements have great bass so I cross to the subs around 50 Hz. rather than 80 Hz. as many of the HT guys do. The mid bass is just too clean and nice to waste it, IMHO.

TC Sounds are always very good but now very expensive. Sorry I can't be more help.

Jim

Comment

• poppapig
                                                                • Mar 2014

Boom! *Currently still in the break-in window but I can attest this FroDaddy Cross-over with Statement II cab is the real deal. *Most importantly it perfectly matches the Statement L/R channels and opens up multi-channel content for me as previously my Center channel was a shadow of the Statements clarity and scale.

Image not available
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 19:29 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Tony ray
                                                                  • Dec 2014

Hello Jim, I am looking at building a Finalist centre with the Dayton dome tweeter and was wondering if there any pictures or updates with this.
                                                                  I was hoping it would match up with the Zaph SB 12.3 speakers I built

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tony ray
                                                                    Hello Jim, I am looking at building a Finalist centre with the Dayton dome tweeter and was wondering if there any pictures or updates with this.
                                                                    I was hoping it would match up with the Zaph SB 12.3 speakers I built
                                                                    Hi Tony,

No updates on the Finalist/Anthology center and as far as I know, none are needed.

I've not heard Zaph's SB 12.3 speakers so I really can't comment on the integration. Some thoughts; the center will carry up to 70% of the sound in a typical movie and all of the dialogue so the mains need to blend with the center rather than the cente blending with the mains. The mains basically are effects channels on movies. Multi channel music is a different subject.

The key to seamless integration in my opinion is, voicing the mains and the center so that pans sound the same. I'm not a proponent of having to have all the same speaker but I am a proponent of all the speakers having the same or very similar voicing to blend properly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jim

Comment

• Tony ray
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2014

Thanks Jim
                                                                      I will give it a go as I think its my best option as a kit to work with my speakers,
                                                                      I was wondering if you could tell me the sensitivity of the Finalist centre speakers

Thanks Tony

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tony ray
                                                                        Thanks Jim
                                                                        I will give it a go as I think its my best option as a kit to work with my speakers,
                                                                        I was wondering if you could tell me the sensitivity of the Finalist centre speakers

Thanks Tony
                                                                        They should be about 88 db.

Jim

Comment

• Tony ray
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2014

Nearly finished my Finalist centre.

Was wondering if I line the internal walls with foam or felt
                                                                          and do i stuff them with Dacron?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3223

Hi Tony,

I'd suggest you line the walls, floor, roof and back of both woofer compartments and the mid compartment with 2" wedge foam or similar. Be sure to hold it back from the inner front baffle a couple inches so it doesn't crowd the drivers. The crossover goes in one of the woofer compartments so don't worry about that space. I'd also suggest you loosely stuff the mid compartment in the back 1/2 with polyfill. Be sure to keep the polyfill in the back 1/2 so it doesn't get close to the drivers. You can do the same thing in the woofer compartments too but its optional.

Also, be sure not to block the pass through behind the mid compartment that connects the two woofer compartments so they can function as one large space rather than individual ones.

Jim

Comment

• Tony ray
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2014
                                                                              • 11

#39
                                                                              Some shots of the Finalist centre I have finished.
                                                                              Sounds excellent. Hearing more detail than ever before and has matched up well with my Zaph SB12.3. Ypoa runs the centre at 4db higher than the mains which blends nicely.
                                                                              Thanks very much Jim and Curt for your design.
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 19:30 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Tony ray
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2014
                                                                                • 11

#40
                                                                                Finalist centre pictures

Name:	20151127_174234 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	860339Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_065756 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	860338Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_174209.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	860337

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3223

#41
                                                                                  Hi Tony,

They look beautiful! Great job! :T

Of course, I'm very pleased to hear that you're happy with the sound.

Enjoy!

Jim

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2008
                                                                                    • 392

#42
                                                                                    Hey Jim, just getting ready to put the foam in my Statement II center.
                                                                                    Just want to clarify the stuffing of area where the wire passes through behind the mid chamber.
                                                                                    Earlier you said that this area gets "heavily stuffed" for the Statements and later said that it does not on the Finalists, is this correct?

Thanks, Greg

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3223

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by flamethrower1
                                                                                      Hey Jim, just getting ready to put the foam in my Statement II center.
                                                                                      Just want to clarify the stuffing of area where the wire passes through behind the mid chamber.
                                                                                      Earlier you said that this area gets "heavily stuffed" for the Statements and later said that it does not on the Finalists, is this correct?

Thanks, Greg
                                                                                      Hi Greg,

No, the stuffing should be the same for both the Statements II and Finalist centers. You caught me doing a quick reply which didn't fill in all the details. ops: The 1/2" area behind the mid compartments should be fully stuffed but not so much as to block air flow between woofer compartments. It's not critical but we thought it might reduce the possibility of a "port" effect between compartments.

Sorry for the confusion!

Jim

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2008
                                                                                        • 392

#44
                                                                                        Thanks for the quick reply Jim, appreciated.
                                                                                        I can not wait to light this thing up.

Comment

• bafflesteppe
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2015
                                                                                          • 3

#45
                                                                                          Can't wait to build these once I have the room! Closing on a home within a week--then I'll have a half-finished basement to slowly build into a nice listening/jam/theater room. This will completely dominate my AviaTrix towers, but I want to try out the Statement II as an end-all reference and send the current towers to a new owner. I'll just dial the center channel down a couple dBs on the receiver, haha.
                                                                                          Last edited by bafflesteppe; 31 December 2015, 16:32 Thursday.
                                                                                          AviaTrix ported tower | Tritrix ported bookshelf | Overnight Sensation MT

Pioneer VSX-820 | Dual 1009 | TCC TC-750

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"