X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HedgeHog
    • Dec 2008

Evolution Acoustics mmMicroOne Speakers

So I've finally got mine last week (paid in full Feb. 2011) and here's a blurb.

The packaging is excellent...came in two wooden boxes (one for the speakers and one for the stands). *bad iPhone pix coming up*

The stand leg, top plate, and mounting hardware reside on top.

The base plinths are underneath (man, are these heavy cast iron thingies).

Likewise, the speaker box has the manual and cloth covers on top.

And the actual speakers on the bottom.

Here they are assembled and sitting between the B&W's.

Single shot.

Close up.

And back showing mounting posts and port.

The plinths do show some casting blemishes and there was a couple of small scratches. Guess Made in China did affect quality control a smidge.

Plinth with casting blemishes and paint chips.

More dings on other plinth.

Further, both EA plastic logos on the grille cover are off wrt the double-sided adhesive (so the adhesive looks like a drop shadow). I was hoping to move the logos so they can be sitting perfectly over the stickies but, alas, I cannot since the logos will be damaged if I try to pull them off.

The speakers themselves are very nicely built and looks great! Installation was a bit of a task as lining the bolt up to the hole under the speaker would be best done by two people.

Initial impression is they sound amazing for its size. Imaging is incredible and the clarity is exceptional. From the manual, they recommend 300hrs + of break-in and claim that boomy bass and harsh highs may be expected from the stiff suspension. So I'll see if it mellows out. In comparo, I feel these are slightly more relaxed than the 802Di but the B&W seems more neutral. I think the syngery is better between the B&W/Classe than the EA/Classe.

The bass is very, very good for a little stand-mount speaker. It's more than good. The 802Di just seem to be more bottomless. I did try these with the JL Audio F113 and they make a great combo.

FWIW, I'm running them through the CA-M400.

Here are a couple of Youtube vids captured from an iPhone 4S.

[YOUTUBE]K7yrKSB4opo?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OXAh0ieIjrQ?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts after only a few hours with them.

-Hedwig
    Last edited by HedgeHog; 01 October 2012, 02:51 Monday. Reason: Fix images. Added blemished stands pix.
    Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

:T Nice! Will you use those as surrounds? Looks like they would sound lovely on their own. Nice equipment you have.
    Jay

Comment

• HedgeHog
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by r100gs
      :T Nice! Will you use those as surrounds? Looks like they would sound lovely on their own. Nice equipment you have.
      Thx. I won't be using these as surrounds...they have a different sonic signature so it'll not match well. Besides, I have surrounds already.

Upon further listening to various material, I've discovered these little guys are pigs. I have to crank my SSP to 70dB whereas the same discs on the 802Di is usually played at 60-65dB.

So far, they seem to have this boxed in feeling...like it needs to open up somehow to get the full image out. I've found the mmMicroOne really excels on jazz, vocal, smaller ensemble, and single instrument type of recordings.

I used Linda Ronstadt (Nelson Riddle Orchestra), Salvatore Accardo (Paganini), Enya and it sounds pretty good. With rock recordings like SRV - The Sky is Crying (SACD) and Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (SHM-SACD), it sounded like a stand-mount speaker. I recall the 802Di felt way bigger (it's the only way to describe it).

We'll see if more play time will alter the playback.

Cheers,
      -H
      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• r100gs
        • May 2005

Well let us know how those little piggies sound after they break in. :W
        Jay

Comment

• rbfletch
          • Sep 2012

Your picture of the back shows the fort "plugged". Did you remove the plug?

Comment

• rbfletch
            • Sep 2012

Sorry, meant port, not fort.

Comment

• HedgeHog
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rbfletch
              Your picture of the back shows the fort "plugged". Did you remove the plug?
              Guess my pic isn't very clear. There's no plug on the rear port; rather, its lined with foam. I guess it helps eliminate/minimize port noise.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

The video's are telling me they are private.

Comment

• rbfletch
                  • Sep 2012

The picture very clearly shows the port plugged...in addition to being lined with the same material. So you must have removed the plug.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Sorry, meant port, not fort.
                    Well then I'm glad you weren't trying to talk about a "part"!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• HedgeHog
                      • Dec 2008

The picture very clearly shows the port plugged...in addition to being lined with the same material. So you must have removed the plug.
                      It's a bad picture...there are no plugs to remove so I mustn't have removed them.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hdale85
                        The video's are telling me they are private.
                        Whoops...sorry about that. Wrong option...I think I "fixed" it now.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

How much are these?

Comment

• HedgeHog
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            How much are these?
                            When I ordered them last year, they were $2000 for the pair of speakers, $500 for the stands, and $200 for shipping...so $2700.00 (plus taxes for crossing the border).

Not sure what they are now as rumour has it the prices are increasing due to the higher production costs.

Some review:

Stereophile

Stereotimes

Positive Feedback

Comment

• Ark721
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                              Guess my pic isn't very clear. There's no plug on the rear port; rather, its lined with foam. I guess it helps eliminate/minimize port noise.
                              Someone on another forum that has these speakers said these speakers sound better without the lined foam covering those bass ports.

The only other comment/suggestion I will make here is that the TOS may need to be modified to discourage or disallow manufacturers from ever speculating, criticizing or otherwise discussing or mentioning competing products and companies, like has been done in part in this thread. Manufacturers...

Comment

• Ark721
                                • Sep 2012

They have a few MM Micro One owners over here too.

Hey guys,Has anyone heard the new Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne? Just saw this pic from CES 2011.http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2011/01/evolution-acoustics...

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ark721
                                  Someone on another forum that has these speakers said these speakers sound better without the lined foam covering those bass ports.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...peakers/page15
                                  Thx...will peruse those links (I already hit up WBF and Agon daily but in case there's new development).

FWIW, I cannot remove the foam liners without ripping them out. They are not removable (at least with mine).

-H

Comment

• r100gs
                                    • May 2005

Like it. Don't rip it out
                                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"