X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Dave P. Wavguide testing: 5 tweeters

You may have seen this thread over on PR tech talk. ABS Waveguide Thread Dave Pellegrene has a thread about creating some elliptical waveguides using various plastic materials, a heat gun and a pressing method. He has sent me four samples to do some testing on. All were originally created for the Vifa OX20 ¾” neo dome tweeter. All are similar in profile. Two are opaque white and two are clear. Three were trimmed to about a 4.5”x6.5” rectangular face, one was trimmed to an elliptical face shape. Here is a photo of them:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0129.JPG Views:	2761 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	870995

The opaque/white ones are pretty much identical and measure that way. They are trimmed a little differently in the throat than the other two. These continue with the throat curve until flush with the tweeter faceplate. The other two have the throat bored out such that there is a lip at the interface with the tweeter face that is 90º for a distance of maybe 1/8”-1/4” before intersecting the throat curve. I point this out because I think this is the difference we see in the measurements, particularly with the dome tweeters.

Testing was done with waveguides 1-3 with the OX20 and its ring radiator brother, the OT19.

The fourth and clear waveguide was bored out in the throat with a 1-3/8” forstner bit, creating about a 1-7/16” opening and a very sharp edge at the 90º throat terminus. Since it has a larger opening, I was able to test it with the Transducer Labs N26C ceramic, the Airborne soft dome and the RS28F. It was actually too small for the RS28, but due to its sharp terminus, it fit inside of the metal ring around the dome and flush against the metal mesh grill.

Testing was done as described in this post:

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Here are the results for the OX20 in waveguides 1-3. All are horizontal off axis at 0-15-30-45 and 60 degrees. Note the cancellations in the top octave of the WG1 and WG2, but not in WG3. Note that WG3 has the 90º bore to the throat terminus and it is different than 1 and 2 in that sense. These are posted in order 1-3.

Click image for larger version  Name:	OX20_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_whiteWG1.jpg Views:	2514 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	870996

Click image for larger version  Name:	OX20_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_whiteWG2.jpg Views:	2452 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	870997

Click image for larger version  Name:	OX20_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG3.jpg Views:	2496 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	870998
    Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 07:02 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Dan N.
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Here are the results for the Vifa OT19 in the same three waveguides. Notice how the ring radiator eliminated the cancelations in the top octave of WG1 and WG2. These are in order 1-3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OT19_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_whiteWG1.jpg
Views:	2677
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	857211

Name:	OT19_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_whiteWG2.jpg
Views:	2656
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	857212

Name:	OT19_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG3.jpg
Views:	2596
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	857213

Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 07:03 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Dan N.

Comment

• dlneubec
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Here are the results of the N26C, horiztonal and vertical. Grey is the flat baffle response:

Name:	Airborne_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG4.jpg
Views:	2649
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	857214

Name:	N26C_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG4_raw.jpg
Views:	2570
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	857215

RS28, horiztonal and vertical:

Name:	N26C_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG4_V.jpg
Views:	2636
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	857216

Name:	RS28F_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG4.jpg
Views:	2555
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	857217

Airborne, horiztonal only:

Name:	RS28F_69mm_2d7ms_spl_0-60d_clearWG4_V.jpg
Views:	2630
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	857218

I for one think Dave is really on to something here with these. It appears that domes seem to like the 1/8"-1/4" 90º change at the throat that occured in WG3 and WG4. The ring radiator was probably better with WG1 and WG2 where there was no abrupt change in angle to the throat.

They look darn good both horizontally and vertically, in the cases I measured vertical off axis.

Keep up the good work, Dave!
      Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 07:04 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
      Dan N.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Dan, thanks for posting these results over here- appreciate you sharing this work and the details.

I'll be testing the N26c with both modified and "stock' Jantzen waveguides, so it will be interesting to see how this all turns out. The profile on my existing SS mounted waveguides is a little offbeat too, something like a short straight section transitioning to the waveguide taper.

If there's any way for you to post the overall waveguide cross sections, that would be interesting- actually, I suppose I ought to go over to TechTalk and see what's there!
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Jon,

I can probably get my hands on the profiles that were used for the glass fiber ones (the round ones I posted a week or so ago on the N26C and also on the Neo3), though I'm not sure about these plastic ones posted in this thread. I'll see if anything is available.

These plastic ones are only about 1/8" thick, so one could certainly photograph them from the side and probably import the image, recreate and scale them in a cad program.
          Dan N.

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

Has anyone compared these waveguide profiles to what might be generated from the equations given in Voice Coil recently? I haven't had a lot of time recently to compare what was presented there vs. what's going on over at PE...
            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dlneubec
              Jon,

I can probably get my hands on the profiles that were used for the glass fiber ones (the round ones I posted a week or so ago on the N26C and also on the Neo3), though I'm not sure about these plastic ones posted in this thread. I'll see if anything is available.

These plastic ones are only about 1/8" thick, so one could certainly photograph them from the side and probably import the image, recreate and scale them in a cad program.
              It's pretty cool stuff what he did with hot molding. Won't change my immediate plans, but definitely something to note. Though it would raise the construction challenge and effort even higher.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Jon,

Did you see the little mold he did to form a small WG around the flange of a woofer? That really begins to show the potential. If not, check out this post:

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Pretty cool stuff. You're right, however, it will complicate construction and we have to learn what steps it takes to make sure those WG's aren't making music of their own! :W

Lots more experimentation on the implementation side will be needed.

The really cool thing about it, IMO, is it is the epitomy of DIY and with some details published as to his methods, we could all be doing custom WG's to fit our unique needs, should we so desire.
                Dan N.

Comment

• matt12v
                  • Mar 2006

This is so cool. True DIY! Thanks for sharing Dan.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"