X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CRA
    • Dec 2011

Rotel RSP 1572 problems and observations

I just took delivery of my new RSP 1572 pre processor. It is replacing my old Denon 4308 (an awesome AVR). My system currently has an Emotive XPA 3 hooked up to the Rotel driving my two Paradigm Studio 100 fronts and a Paradigm CC 690 center. I also have a Velodyne HGS15 sub and a 70” Plasma TV. TV, DVD and Cable Box are all connected to the 1572 via HDMI. My Emotiva XPA 2 arrives next week and will be used to drive fronts and XPA 3 will drive center and surrounds. But for now I have two fronts and a center.

The first thing I noticed was that sound wasn’t as pleasing as my Denon/XPA 3. It was very flat. Maybe it will come to life when I hook up the XPA 2 and get surround back. I have read that Rotel pre/pro’s are true to the music; maybe too true.

This afternoon I noticed that the 1572 will not synch Video 1 (Comcast Cable Box HDMI 1) when I switch from Video 2 (DVD HDMI 2) to Video 1 (Comcast Cable Box HDMI 1). I get pink and yellow screen flash and then a full screen of snow on Video 1, but Video 2 (DVD) works fine when I switch back to it. This happens about 90% of the time. When I switch the unit off via remote (standby) and then back on, Video 1 (Comcast box) works fine. But Video 1 will fail the same way again if I repeat the above switch sequence. Also found similar complaints about this problem on the internet. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Also, I have noticed that I cannot switch to 2 ch or 5 ch stereo via Comcast HDMI (it’s always a Dolby format). Had to use RCA cables analog audio/HDMI video via Video 3 to get stereo effects. This seems silly to me. Why can’t I do this via HDMI. I was able to control all surround modes on my Denon 430 with a few simple remote clicks. Seems like newer processors take too much control away from users. I don't like this "feature".

Finally, adjusting one equalizer frequency at a time (one on screen) is simply a hassle. Displaying a full spectrum equalizer is much more useful. This is a casualty of the Rotels over simplified text based OSD.

At first blush, I am not all that impressed with this $2000 pre processor; the HDMI problem is a major concern and has been confirmed by Rotel. But they don’t have a fix. I am now considering an exchange for the Integra DHC 80.3 or maybe an Onkyo PR SC5508 or Marantz AV7005. Comments?
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by CRA
    This afternoon I noticed that the 1572 will not synch Video 1 (Comcast Cable Box HDMI 1) when I switch from Video 2 (DVD HDMI 2) to Video 1 (Comcast Cable Box HDMI 1). I get pink and yellow screen flash and then a full screen of snow on Video 1, but Video 2 (DVD) works fine when I switch back to it. This happens about 90% of the time. When I switch the unit off via remote (standby) and then back on, Video 1 (Comcast box) works fine. But Video 1 will fail the same way again if I repeat the above switch sequence. Also found similar complaints about this problem on the internet. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    I have just finished a review of this prepro and I cannot say that I have seen that problem. I did have an occasional problem in changing between some channels but that occurs occasionally with most prepros.

Also, I have noticed that I cannot switch to 2 ch or 5 ch stereo via Comcast HDMI (it’s always a Dolby format). Had to use RCA cables analog audio/HDMI video via Video 3 to get stereo effects. This seems silly to me. Why can’t I do this via HDMI. I was able to control all surround modes on my Denon 430 with a few simple remote clicks. Seems like newer processors take too much control away from users. I don't like this "feature".
    Did you set a default for Dolby signals on this input? I have never tried "5channel stereo" so I cannot say for sure but I was able to switch between the default and, either, stereo or other surround modes.

Finally, adjusting one equalizer frequency at a time (one on screen) is simply a hassle. Displaying a full spectrum equalizer is much more useful. This is a casualty of the Rotels over simplified text based OSD.
    It is not meant for casual adjustments as with a graphic EQ nor can it display a RTA but it is very effective with the right tools.

At first blush, I am not all that impressed with this $2000 pre processor; the HDMI problem is a major concern and has been confirmed by Rotel. But they don’t have a fix. I am now considering an exchange for the Integra DHC 80.3 or maybe an Onkyo PR SC5508 or Marantz AV7005. Comments?
    Well, if had such issues, I would certainly consider an exchange. My bias is for a prepro with XT32 but all three of those are fine.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wanderso
      • Sep 2002

I have the 1572 as well with a Motorola DCT3416 with no issues and I have it in HDMI 1. Which box are you using from Comcast?

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Sounds like the famous HDMI handshake issues!. Rotel's appear to have many HDMI issues with their units.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• CRA
          • Dec 2011

I am using the Motorola DCH 3416. It works just fine until I switch to a different device connected via HDMI (DVD player) and then try to switch back to cable TV. That is when things go south. This now happens a100% of the time. Rotel has confirmed numerous complaints about this. They asked for cable box model and manufacturer, which I provided. I also encouraged them to go directly to Motorola and request a sample unit that they can use for debug.

As for default settings, I have tried them all, but 1572 overrides those settings when it gets a Dolby signal. Then you are locked out of certain other surround settings. Also, 5 Ch Stereo default will work only with RCA analog input, not with HDMI. I guess this is ok; I just hooked up Video 3 with analog audio and HDMI video to solve this problem. But Denon systems will let you select any surround mode (including 2 & 5 ch stereo) over HDMI. I guess I am just spoiled by Denon OSD and detailed setup and operational features. Rotel has a pathetic OSD and it's remote is just about as pathetic as it's OSD. This is not a user friendly preprocessor.

But I am going to give it another week of air time. My Emotiva XPA2 shows up next Wednesday and I will see how it plays in 5.1 configuration. I am just a bit disappointed because I have read so many good things about the 1572 and because I am probably spoiled by my Denon user experience.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by CRA
            I am using the Motorola DCH 3416. It works just fine until I switch to a different device connected via HDMI (DVD player) and then try to switch back to cable TV. That is when things go south. This now happens a100% of the time. Rotel has confirmed numerous complaints about this. They asked for cable box model and manufacturer, which I provided. I also encouraged them to go directly to Motorola and request a sample unit that they can use for debug.

As for default settings, I have tried them all, but 1572 overrides those settings when it gets a Dolby signal. Then you are locked out of certain other surround settings. Also, 5 Ch Stereo default will work only with RCA analog input, not with HDMI. I guess this is ok; I just hooked up Video 3 with analog audio and HDMI video to solve this problem. But Denon systems will let you select any surround mode (including 2 & 5 ch stereo) over HDMI. I guess I am just spoiled by Denon OSD and detailed setup and operational features. Rotel has a pathetic OSD and it's remote is just about as pathetic as it's OSD. This is not a user friendly preprocessor.

But I am going to give it another week of air time. My Emotiva XPA2 shows up next Wednesday and I will see how it plays in 5.1 configuration. I am just a bit disappointed because I have read so many good things about the 1572 and because I am probably spoiled by my Denon user experience.

Rotel units are all about sound quality and not about bells and whistles. Rotel gear is a good large step above Denon in sound quality in my opinion. My Oppo DVD player is hooked up to my Rotel amp with a optical cable and the default is 5 ch stereo. You are correct that if it receives a Dolby digital signal it will change to Dolby Digital. I have never really tried to make it go back to 5ch stereo when DD is present in the signal but I do believe I could make that happen.With DVD, You simply have to choose stereo in the the dvd's main menu and then the Rotel will stay at 5ch stereo. HDMI audio signals are another bird all together though I'm sure. I have no experience with audio via HDMI.

Comment

• CRA
              • Dec 2011

You're right. The more I listen to the Rotel the more I realize how precise it plays music (and DVD sound tracks). It's just taking me some time to get used to. Denon was just big and warm (not bad for an AVR). But like I said, the more I listen, the better it (Rotel) sounds. And yes, it does take some time to get over not having all the super bells and whistles you get with a Denon AVR. Now I just need to get Rotel on the stick about solving their HDMI synch problems. Having been in hi tech for 35 years I may be able to help them get their hands on a DCH3416 so they can debug my particular problem. Who knows, it may solve an entire class of problems.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

• Sackrat
                • Oct 2011

I am subscribed. I have had my RSP-1572 for almost three months now with zero issues. I just completed installing the three firmware updates as well and still no issues. I have my Motorola Time/Warner cable box audio linked to the Rotel with Digital out. Also from Motorola I have component RCA audio/video out to my TV.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by CRA
                  You're right. The more I listen to the Rotel the more I realize how precise it plays music (and DVD sound tracks). It's just taking me some time to get used to. Denon was just big and warm (not bad for an AVR). But like I said, the more I listen, the better it (Rotel) sounds. And yes, it does take some time to get over not having all the super bells and whistles you get with a Denon AVR. Now I just need to get Rotel on the stick about solving their HDMI synch problems. Having been in hi tech for 35 years I may be able to help them get their hands on a DCH3416 so they can debug my particular problem. Who knows, it may solve an entire class of problems.

Merry Christmas everyone!
                  I'm quite honestly surprised it took you time to realize how nice the Rotel sound is!!. When I swapped out my Yamaha for my Rotel, My eyeballs popped out at the difference in sound presentation!!. Almost like some sort of filter had been removed from my sound. :E

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I'm now thinking of getting a RSP-1572 to add/replace my RSP-1098... I just can't decide if that's what I want to do, or just go for something cheaper for mainly for just HT use and integrate it (multi-channel input) into the 1098....

Ahhh the decisions are so tough especially since my dealer stopped selling Rotel & B&W....now I gotta find a new place...which isn't easy mind you....at least not around the Pittsburgh Area. :/
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Well you may recall that I thought the 1069 sounded as good as my 1098, with a slight advantage to the 1098 in stereo bypass. My 1570 was equal to the 1069.

My 1562 should be here next week and I'll let everyone know. Slight disadvantage as I'll be using the 1562's amps versus my current 1575, but I hope it will be close to the 1069/1077 combo. Shifting some stereo equity around to get some multi-zone going.

Kevin D.

Comment

• CRA
                        • Dec 2011

1572 Update

I have owned the new 1572 since November 2011. In a nutshell, it's an over priced, problem plagued, so-so pre processor (I have Paradigms all around, Velodyne 15" sub, and Emotiva 200W & 300W amps... pretty good components, no junk). Audio performance is not the issue. But I had very similar audio performance from my top end Denon AVR and none of the problems (HDMI & Comcast Cable box, and now audio sync/drop). Rotel techs have confirmed these problems but current firmware updates do not resolve these issues. They asked me to do problem data capture and sent me special firmware and software to make that happen and a somewhat complicated proceedure (I have been in PC firmware business since first PC was built, so I know firmware in and out). Had second thoughts about messing with firmware and decided against doing this time consuming procedure. I don't have this kind of time on my hands anyway, so they can do it themselves. At $2K, the 1572 is a very expensive pre processor and Rotel should be all over these problems. I have a new Emotiva Pre Pro on order for about $1400. If it performs well I will sell the Rotel 1572 (and take a huge loss). Or maybe I will frame it and post it in my office to remind me that most expensive does not always mean the best. Besides, the folks at Emotiva bend over backwards to help out. Rotel, no so much. My suggestion, don't waste your money on the 1572 until it has some miles under the hood....

Comment

• CRA
                          • Dec 2011

Also, the Denon 4308 is no toy. It puts out awesome sound..... most of us won't hear difference between it and the 1572.

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Rotel offered to help, provided you with the tools, but you declined. Go figure
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• CRA
                              • Dec 2011

Yes, I declined. I simply don't have the time to spend helping them resolve problems with theire product. Wish I did. For $2K I just want it to work properly.

Comment

• x43x
                                • Sep 2007

I'm loving the hell out of mine.

;b>

Comment

• Blindamood
                                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by CRA
                                  I don't have this kind of time on my hands anyway, so they can do it themselves.
                                  Funny, you seem to have plenty of free time to rip Rotel, as I've seen your same posts on another popular forum. I think it comes down to what you want in a processor...there are many, many Rotel users who are quite happy with the RSP-1572 (and RSP-1570, which I have). I absolutely love mine, and although I do experience the several second delay on the initial startup of an HDMI input, to me that is a very small price to pay considering the overall satisfaction I get from the unit otherwise. To me the Rotel pieces look great and sound great, and I've had nothing but positive experiences with Rotel support.
                                  Brad

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                    Funny, you seem to have plenty of free time to rip Rotel, as I've seen your same posts on another popular forum. I think it comes down to what you want in a processor...there are many, many Rotel users who are quite happy with the RSP-1572 (and RSP-1570, which I have). I absolutely love mine, and although I do experience the several second delay on the initial startup of an HDMI input, to me that is a very small price to pay considering the overall satisfaction I get from the unit otherwise. To me the Rotel pieces look great and sound great, and I've had nothing but positive experiences with Rotel support.

I'm with you on that thought and observation !! :T

Comment

• chanlon
                                      • Sep 2003

First off....I love Rotel. Their service is top notch. I've been buying their products for over a decade. I own a Rotel 1570.

HOWEVER....I feel I need to back CRA up on this one.
                                      This HDMI audio delay is not a new issue. Its not something Rotel didn't know about. They are aware of this issue (short-coming) since the 1069.
                                      For whatever reason, they chose not to correct it for the past 6 years.
                                      Economies of scale, ignorance, whatever the reason....the issue or however you what to classify it....its still there.

And I know for a fact, its a reason some Rotel dealers have been refusing to stock their home theatre product line. I know of several.

So.....to say you should accept this shortcoming IMO, will ultimately be an issue for Rotel. I for one, will never buy a processor from them, unless this is corrected. I hope for all Rotel fans, they will correct this problem.

Comment

• mjb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by chanlon
                                        This HDMI audio delay is not a new issue. Its not something Rotel didn't know about. They are aware of this issue (short-coming) since the 1069. For whatever reason, they chose not to correct it for the past 6 years.
                                        I agree. However, companies don't usually strive for flawed products. The fact that the problem has been around for a few years (and it has) means Rotel programmers either don't understand HDMI protocols, which I very much doubt, or they're being handicapped by the hardware. Classé updated their SSP-800 HDMI board giving a huge improvement. Is Rotel using the same HDMI circuitry since the 1069?

Incidentally, this is exactly the reason I left Rotel. I had a 1570 and suffered with HDMI woes until I'd had enough too. Yes, it is surely affecting sales - Rotel need to fix this issue to remain a viable option. Audio quality alone is not enough in todays processor world. I would take an HDMI friendly Denon over a HDMI flawed Rotel anyday.
                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Blindamood
                                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mjb
                                          Incidentally, this is exactly the reason I left Rotel. I had a 1570 and suffered with HDMI woes until I'd had enough too. Yes, it is surely affecting sales - Rotel need to fix this issue to remain a viable option. Audio quality alone is not enough in todays processor world. I would take an HDMI friendly Denon over a HDMI flawed Rotel anyday.
                                          If you're experiencing significant issues that are affecting the enjoyment of your system, then I absolutely understand. I guess I'm lucky enough that the way I have my system configured, the issue is minor enough that it does not detract from my overall satisfaction.
                                          Brad

Comment

• JDH
                                            • Sep 2004

I sold my Rotel RSP-1069 because of HDMI handshaking issues, this was after owning the RSP-1066 and RSP-1068 before it. The RSP-1572 would have to of perfected the HDMI connection in order for me to consider it.

JDH.
                                            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• madmac
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2010

I have an older Rotel A/V receiver so I have my HDMI going direct to my TV and use Optical and Coaxial to send my audio to the Rotel.

If I was going to buy a new A/V receiver for the DD-HD and DTS-HD sending the HDMI to the unit, I would not at this time buy a Rotel. However, Musical audio performance is more important to me than the above "hi-def" surround formats so the Rotel stays!!.

Comment

• CRA
                                                • Dec 2011

Gentlemen, my "rips" on Rotel here and in other forums are part of an effort to get the community to stop speculating and bantering about the source of these problems. The community also needs to stop defending Rotel. Let's put the ball in their court and force them to resolve these problems. As I mentioned, I am a hi tech executive with extensive background in hardware and firmware development, and I am absolutely convinced there are technical solutions to these problems. To my point, I just bought a Marantz AV 7005; it works flawlessly and I can't really hear the difference between it and the 1572 (well, just a tiny bit, but not $500 and a bunch of problems worth of difference). Don't get me wrong, I think the RSP-1572 has awesome sound and is about the sexiest looking pre pro out there, that is why I bought it in the first place.

I am also putting pressure on Rotel through my dealer; but this is not a dealer problem. I am asking Rotel to allow the dealer to return my “defective” 1572 and issue me a store credit refund (i'll but a new subwoofer from the dealer). That should get some attention as well. And to be honest, I would gladly accept a replacement 1572 that has ALL issues resolved, including an onscreen overlay GUI. That is, it performs at least as well and my new Marantz AV 7005. Until then my RSP 1572 sits in the corner of my theater room while the new kid on the block (Marantz AV 7005) get all the attention and glory. The ball is in your court Rotel…..

Comment

• madmac
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by CRA
                                                  Gentlemen, my "rips" on Rotel here and in other forums are part of an effort to get the community to stop speculating and bantering about the source of these problems. The community also needs to stop defending Rotel. Let's put the ball in their court and force them to resolve these problems. As I mentioned, I am a hi tech executive with extensive background in hardware and firmware development, and I am absolutely convinced there are technical solutions to these problems. To my point, I just bought a Marantz AV 7005; it works flawlessly and I can't really hear the difference between it and the 1572 (well, just a tiny bit, but not $500 and a bunch of problems worth of difference). Don't get me wrong, I think the RSP-1572 has awesome sound and is about the sexiest looking pre pro out there, that is why I bought it in the first place.

I am also putting pressure on Rotel through my dealer; but this is not a dealer problem. I am asking Rotel to allow the dealer to return my “defective” 1572 and issue me a store credit refund (i'll but a new subwoofer from the dealer). That should get some attention as well. And to be honest, I would gladly accept a replacement 1572 that has ALL issues resolved, including an onscreen overlay GUI. That is, it performs at least as well and my new Marantz AV 7005. Until then my RSP 1572 sits in the corner of my theater room while the new kid on the block (Marantz AV 7005) get all the attention and glory. The ball is in your court Rotel…..

That's well said CRA :T They should fix it.

Comment

• CRA
                                                    • Dec 2011

Just heard from my dealer that Rotel is completely unwilling to work with them (the dealer) on a return or an exchange. Fortunately my dealer was kind enough to exchange the 1572 for a very nice subwoofer. I lost about $300 on the deal but it is more than I expected. Kudos to the folks at my dealer for working with me.

Next step, I plan to sue Rotel in small claims court for the $300 I lost. Someone has to get the attention of the folks at Rotel. They simply cannot continue to offer product that exhibit the same problems over and over again (HDMI) while competitors don't have these problems. They are effectively selling a deffective, does not play as advertised product. There is precedence here.

By the way, I love my Marantz AV 7005; it's a very nice peice and more than meets my needs.

Comment

• x43x
                                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CRA
                                                      I don't have this kind of time on my hands anyway
                                                      Originally posted by CRA
                                                      Next step, I plan to sue Rotel in small claims court for the $300 I lost.
                                                      :rofl: :stupid2:

Comment

• CRA
                                                        • Dec 2011

Careful what you mock....

First, you have no idea how much work it would be to go through the data capture procedure the folks at Rotel sent me. It's non trivial, time consuming, and beyond the scope of most consumers.

Second, I was advised to use a service that handles small claims. It takes very little time and is done online (we are in the 21st Century, you know). They do all the leg work. If I win or there is a settlement, I also recover the service fee.

I am doing this on principal. And if that doesn't get attention, there is a little thing called class action. This thread has morphed into a subject that is beyond the scope of this Forum. So enough about this in this forum.....!

Comment

• mjb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by CRA
                                                          This thread has morphed into a subject that is beyond the scope of this Forum. So enough about this in this forum.....!
                                                          But please let us know the outcome in this forum. Good luck.
                                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• CRA
                                                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mjb
                                                            But please let us know the outcome in this forum. Good luck.
                                                            It's been over a year since I posted to this thread. In the meantime others have posted similar complaints about the 1572; so it appears the 1572 still has HDMI problems. In the end I was able to get Rotel to issue a full refund to the dealer. The $300 I originally lost was issued to me as store credit. On a related note, has anyone here noticed how long it has taken Emotiva to bring their new XMC-1 Pre Pro to market. It is almost 18 months late. I bet these guys are having all sorts of HDMI problems and don't want to release a not ready for prime time product like the Rotel 1572. I think it's a smart move on their part. Better late with a solid product than quick to market with a not so good product like the 1572. Releasing product with bugs is a sure way to damage a small boutique company like Emotiva. I think Rotel is on the ropes and may even disappear in the near future if they are not careful.

Comment

• JDH
                                                              • Sep 2004

I must be lucky, I've owned the RSP-1572 since June 2012, without an issue, I'd previously owned the RSP-1069 which had HDMI issues but so far happy with the RSP-1572. Maybe I'm not as picky as you.

I'm also on the waiting list for the XMC-1, but at this stage can't see me buying it if it ever gets released. Had major bugs with the UMC-1 and sold it after only 3 months of ownership.

JDH
                                                              Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                                                • Aug 2013

I have set my bluray player to PCM so that the decoding is done in the processor and the 2 seconds muting has completely disappeared. On your GUI it will say multichannel and not DTS, Dolby Digita, etc

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"