Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

CDP-300 drive replacement...

I bought a (used) CDP-300 a while ago (and I absolutely love it!). The CDP-300 (and I believe all Classe CDP players) uses a TEAC DV-28SL-R93 slot load drive.

Now, there is nothing wrong with my CDP but I just wanted to have a back-up drive if/when my CDP drive ever fails. A quick search on ebay and I bought two brand new TEAC drives...for $38.00 shipped! If one is good than two must be better?

Anywho, I wanted to verify that at least one of the new drives was OK. At first I was hesitant tearing into my CDP. But having experience working on other equipment and computers I dove in.

I can tell you now that if you have ever changed an optical drive in a PC or laptop you will have no problem changing this drive. It's an ATAPI interface so there are only two lead to work with. The drive itself is in a proprietary frame that in turn is mounted to a shock absorbing structure. Very cool and simple to work on.

Took out the original drive and replaced with a new unit. Fired it up and put in a disc with no problem. Put the original drive back in and all is fine. So now I have two optical drive in reserve.

Also, if anyone cares, Classe's spec's for the CDP-300 state that the player will not play back DVD-RAM. This is wrong! This player will play back DVD-RAM. Probably not a big deal to most people but I have a Panasonic DVD-RAM recorder so it's nice to be able to play back recordings on this player.

Here is a pix of the original drive....

Here is a pix of the two new drives. The serial numbers are sequential to boot!!!

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • slauten
    • Aug 2011

Great info! I wonder if the CDP-502 uses the same drive?

See Ya,
    Steve

Comment

• kpodolski
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by slauten
      Great info! I wonder if the CDP-502 uses the same drive?

See Ya,
      Steve

I would think so. I don't see why Classe would not use the same drive in all the CDP's...more cost effective.
      The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Alex-markof
        • May 2012

Hi, I have CDP-502, unfortunately the child a pencil stuck in the drive and broke it. I bought another DV 28SL 83 (not 93) is exactly the same, and placed instead of the old, but CDP-502 - writes on the display - "wait" ,and there is no response from the CDP-502 , does not see the drive, the old drive is running, the sound goes, but does not eject the disc . Should i order exactly the same 28SL 93 (not 83) or, can change the firmware on the CDP-502 to make it work with DV 28SL 83 ?
        I'm looking for exactly the same (28SL 93) may be somebody have, ready to buy let me know if you have it, thank you very much,

When replacing a drive that should change something in the firmware, or simply changing the drive inside the CDP-502..
        Attached Files

Comment

• Pedro San
          • Dec 2017

TEAC DV-28SL-R93. does anybody have one reader of this model available?

Does anybody have one reader of this model available?

Comment

• supermusique
            • Mar 2018

Hello,

I am new on HTGuide. I am looking for the TEAC DV-28SL-R93 for my Classe CDP-202.

If you have the TEAC DV-28SL-R93 for sale. Please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Van

Comment

• canAre
              • Nov 2018

Hi, i am new too.
              I restore my Teac DV-28SL-R93 eject mecanisme (CDP-300) by changing one little white gear...

Comment

• satelitman
                • Nov 2017

The required gear can be purchased here...

Comment

• satelitman
                  • Nov 2017

I have for sale Orignal CLASSE OPTICAL MECHANICS suitable for Classet CDP-102/202/502, Classé CDT-300 plus cable reduction original CLASSÉ

If you are interested, please contact - kubalamil@gmail.com

Thank you all, the mechanics are sold
                  Last edited by satelitman; 20 February 2019, 08:14 Wednesday.

Comment

• canAre
                    • Nov 2018

satelitman, Is it you who makes the gear wheels?

Comment

• satelitman
                      • Nov 2017

Hi. I don't make gears. I bought the gear, the link is up. I have already sold the original TEAC drive and I don't have another one.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"