X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Bobette - the world's simplest Open Baffle*

* disclaimer: world's simplest two way active open baffle

I've just finished the test baffle for my new bedroom speakers and I couldn't be happier with them. I call them Bobette because they are the sexy younger sister of Bob, my main speakers.

The entire speaker is made out of one piece of folded perspex. Drivers are the Seas W22 I took from my mains when I went MT instead of MTM, and the Seas 27TDFC from my old surrounds. I do have a spare Millenium and I'm sorely to get another one and plop those in just for aesthetic reasons.

Crossover is a MiniDSP, and I use a monopole sub below 80Hz. Basically, the xover and EQ are the same as the top half of my main speakers, which is is to say like a digital Orion but with a few tweaks due to the change in baffle width and height.

I probably should brace them because they sway a bit, but I'm trying to work out a way that doesn't ruin the aesthetics.

They sound great and look even better than the pics.
    Attached Files
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Cool! If these can play down to 80 Hz, I'd say you're set. Nice work.
    But... where do you hide the wires? It's like, if you're a nudist, how do you carry your wallet? :roll:
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

very cool. :T
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sfdoddsy
        • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Undefinition
        Cool! If these can play down to 80 Hz, I'd say you're set. Nice work.
        But... where do you hide the wires? It's like, if you're a nudist, how do you carry your wallet? :roll:
        Still working out the wires. At the moment they are white to blend in with the background.

Oh, and given the lowish volumes, these can be used lower than 80, which is nice.
        Last edited by sfdoddsy; 17 July 2011, 05:45 Sunday.
        Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• omegaslast
          • Feb 2011

sway? as in the base is too light?

big aluminum pucks for feet would solve this. or a big slab of aluminum for the entire bottom possibly.

Could also do an X shape like av123 LS6s out of machined aluminum most snazzy solution

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
            • Jun 2006

These are quite striking. Love the looks of these.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
              • Sep 2000

Originally posted by omegaslast
              sway? as in the base is too light?

big aluminum pucks for feet would solve this. or a big slab of aluminum for the entire bottom possibly.

Could also do an X shape like av123 LS6s out of machined aluminum most snazzy solution
              The base isn't too light. The fold just sin't the most stable thing ion the world. That said, it doesn't visibly move even when playing louder than I normally do given it is a bedroom system.
              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Simple and beautiful!

I think a pair of SS6600 would look better than Millennium. Love their sexy transparent rear end, kind of matches the rest of the speaker...

Comment

• twest820
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
                  world's simplest two way active open baffle
                  Four bolins is more complicated than a baffle? :P

Comment

• Undefinition
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by twest820
                    Four bolins is more complicated than a baffle? :P
                    That thing has like zero WAF. Doddsy's plexi design, on the other hand, actually could get reasonably good marks from a significant other.
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                      • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Jonasz
                      Simple and beautiful!

I think a pair of SS6600 would look better than Millennium. Love their sexy transparent rear end, kind of matches the rest of the speaker...

If looks were paramount, I think I'd go for the SS6620.
                      Attached Files
                      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Face
                        • Mar 2007

The 6620's silver face place looks odd against the SEAS off white mag cone.
                        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonP
                          • Apr 2006

I probably should brace them because they sway a bit, but I'm trying to work out a way that doesn't ruin the aesthetics.

Very cool... like the minimalist look a lot...

An idea for bracing that bend, perhaps a pair of triangularish plexi pieces, glued on the outer edges at the bend? Would put a fair amount of stiffness in that "hinge" without adding a lot of visual stuff to it.

Or, if you can find a plexi rod, maybe a clear rod bracing from base to woofer magnet or somewhere?

Comment

• BoJonJovi
                            • Apr 2014

* disclaimer: world's simplest two way active open baffle

I've just finished the test baffle for my new bedroom speakers and I couldn't be happier with them. I call them Bobette because they are the sexy younger sister of Bob, my main speakers.

The entire speaker is made out of one piece of folded perspex. Drivers are the Seas W22 I took from my mains when I went MT instead of MTM, and the Seas 27TDFC from my old surrounds. I do have a spare Millenium and I'm sorely to get another one and plop those in just for aesthetic reasons.

Crossover is a MiniDSP, and I use a monopole sub below 80Hz. Basically, the xover and EQ are the same as the top half of my main speakers, which is is to say like a digital Orion but with a few tweaks due to the change in baffle width and height.

Where did you get the Plexiglas? What are the dimensions? Did it come pre-folded? If not how did you fold it?
                            I really like the looks of these. I would like to make some for my computer speakers.

Comment

• BoJonJovi
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Jonasz
                              Simple and beautiful!

Could you provide a link for these speakers. I cannot seem to find them.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                • Nov 2004

Here you go! http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-textile-dome/

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"