X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shtali
    • Oct 2008

Problem with Rotel Amp 1070 + Xindak speaker cable

Hi,
    I have Rotel 1070 (Pre + Amp) set up with QUAD 22L2 floor speakers.
    Yesterday I got my new speaker cables I ordered from Xindak (FS - 2 Model).
    When I connect the cables to my system, after approx. 2 minutes, the AMP lights on the "Protection" indicator and stops making sound. I have tested this several times with the same result. I checked the FS-2 cables in a lab today with other AMP and they are OK. If I change back to my previous AR cables, everything is fine.

Here is a description of the FS-2:

Does anyone have an idea what can be wrong or what should I check?

Thanks,
    Shai
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Hmm.. looks like a bi-amps style cable. How do you have it hooked up to the amp and the speaker?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ferres
      • Jan 2007

The cable is probably increasing the draw from the amp. This happens to relatively low powered amps coupled with floor speakers.

You'll probably need amps in the 200 watt range or a D-class amp in the 130 watt range.

Most specialty cables increase the draw from the amp, so use bookshelf speakers if you have a relatively low powered amp.

Personally, I prefer their Interconnects, I get no benefit from their speaker cables.

Comment

• shtali
        • Oct 2008

Thanks

Hi Kevin, Ferres,
        Thank you both. I find the explanation of Ferres
        The most logical one, eventhough I couldn't imagine such a reason. Now I'll have to sell it...
        Any recommendations for a speaker cable? Should I use a b - wire one or a regular one?

Thanks again,
        Shai

Comment

• Nuthed
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by shtali
          Hi Kevin, Ferres,
          Thank you both. I find the explanation of Ferres
          The most logical one, eventhough I couldn't imagine such a reason. Now I'll have to sell it...
          Any recommendations for a speaker cable? Should I use a b - wire one or a regular one?

Thanks again,
          Shai
          A recommendation for speaker cables? How about just putting the ones that work back into the system and leave it alone? :T
          Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
          RB980-BX driving mains
          Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
          Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
          Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
          SVS PB-12

Comment

• shtali
            • Oct 2008

The whole quest started because I wanted to improve the sound. I have very cheap speaker cables and I thoughtvi should invest in some more serious ones. I just biught straightwire virtuose interconnect and it seems like the next step...

Thanks

Comment

• Space
              • Aug 2009

If this is really a problem with the cables, and it appears to be based on your original post, then you should return them and avoid the brand in the future. Conducting electricity from an amplifier to a speaker is not a complicated or difficult thing to achieve.

Also, if there is nothing obviously wrong with your original cables, and they're just typical functional speaker cables, then there's no reason to suspect they are a weak link in your system.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Nothing wrong with improving your cabling. I got great results moving up from WireWorld to CAT Cables. They worked better than a pair of Mogami wire ICs in my system.
                BTW , before anyone starts flaming on cables , read the forum rules. I honestly got great results from CAT cables and I'm way happy with my upgrades.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• srb
                  • Oct 2004

My guess is that perhaps the unusual construction of this particular cable

"5N single-crystal oxygen-free copper film band and 4N pure silver film band and composed in the structure of Sandwich."

(not really sure what a "film band" is)

has a characteristic capacitance and/or inductance that the Rotel just doesn't like, but your other amplifier will tolerate.

Steve

Comment

• Ferres
                    • Jan 2007

If you still want to try 'specialty' cables. Look for those rated for home theater or ones that are not too thick or bi-wired.

Difference wouldn't be that great except on the low end bass part.

If you have a Xindak supplier see if you can exchange your speaker cables with their FA-1 ICs. You'll get more bang for the buck on those.

Comment

• Space
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Ferres
                      The cable is probably increasing the draw from the amp.
                      I would guess the opposite is true. Ordinary copper wire already has low resistance provided it's an adequate gauge and not extremely long. There's very little potential to "increase power draw" by further reducing resistance.

The story I read is these use "copper foil" which may be extremely thin. That could mean much greater resistance. Is there a noticeable difference in output level when using the Xindak cables? High resistance would mean you'd need to turn the volume higher to get the same output.

If that's not the issue then there could be unusually high capacitance or inductance. What exactly is in those shiny metal cylinders, some kind of filter? This could result in a reactive load that sends the amp into protection.

Whatever the exact problem is, there is no excuse for this kind of problem to result from any speaker cable. As I said above it's not a difficult thing to get right.

Comment

• miner
                        • Mar 2005

I see this as a cable problem and not amp problem. I agree with Space.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"